Hepatitis C Community
treatment fatigue

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

treatment fatigue

I am genotype 3 on treatment for 24 weeks with sofosbuvir and ribavirin.  I am currently on day 49 and so far have not been able to return to work.  The side effects seem to wax and wane, but so far am still struggling.  My doctor says after six to eight weeks it should get better, but so far not the case for me and I cannot imagine doing this another for months.  My question is do these side effects get better, and at this point in my treatment (starting week eight) should I expect any new side effects popping up?
Welcome to the Hepatitis C Community. It may take up to a few hours for another member to reply as this isn't live chat.  

I'm GT2 and just finished sofosbuvir and ribavirin (SOL/RBV) for 12 weeks June 25, 2014.  For me the fatigue was most noticeable during the last 6 weeks of treatment and coincided with my hgb hemoglobin drop.

My hgb at treatment start was 16.7 (normal male 13.5 to 17.0) at week 4 was 14.3 but at week 6 was 12.2 and was 11.8 at EOT (end of treatment)

I followed the suggestions here by other members.

1. Stay hydrated! Drink at least 8 or more glasses of water a day

2. Always take ribavirin with food containing fat  (natural peanut butter is great and has less sugar and salt then regular peanut butter)
The couple of time I didn't follow 1 & 2 was a little nausea with headache.  

3. Taking ribavirin (RBV) too late in the day can cause insomnia. Check with your doctor. Some have found that taking RBV 8 to 9 hours after morning dose say 8 AM and 4 to 5 PM helps when going to sleep at 10 or 11 PM.   (RBV has a 12 day half life so 2 to 4 hours earlier doesn't increase the risk of a negative treatment outcome.

4. If you don't have any contraindications for caffeine try 1 or 2 cups in the AM and 1 more early afternoon.    

5. One or two  20-30  min naps or rests (laying down in a low light cool area) during the day may help.

If you have them post some of your blood test results before start of treatment and most recent ones. for example hgb, platelets, WBC, RBC, AST, ALT, Albumin and others if abnormal.   Also list any other side effects and medical conditions.  This may help others here to give you more specific suggestions for your situation.  Always check with your treatment provider if any of them haven't already been included in your treatment guide.      

You can also use the search icon at the top to search sofosbuvir ribavirin fatigue side effects

If anyone wants more info about my HCV and treatment? Click on my name you will go to my public page. lower left there are 2 journals that have more detailed info on my pretreatment HCV history and my recent treatment history.    

I was untected after 4 weeks and hope you were also.  I am waiting on my EOT results and should have those in a couple of days.  My doctor said that there is almost a 100% chance I will still be undetected.

The only reason for the test is to document my continued compliance with taking my meds. If HCV is detected at EOT with these new drugs it almost always means non-compliance with taking meds or maybe for those who had to greatly reduce RBV because of severe anemia (very low hgb).

Best of luck finding a way to tolerate and finish treatment and reaching  SVR 12 weeks after EOT.    Because I am F4 my odds are about close to  90% SVR. (slightly lower then the more cherry picked results in the trials)  Will know at the end of september.
Hi,and welcome.  Jimmy gave you excellent advice.  For more, go to the post Genotype3a started by Coach32.  there is a lot of good info there.  i am also gt3 on Day 17 od the same Sol/RIB treatnent for 24 weeks.  

So far, main side effect has been the fatigue, although it comes and goes.  when I don't have the fatigue, I have more energy than I have had in years!

Of course, the thirst is great, but I was prepared because of all the posts here, so I am drinking 120 to 150 oz water every day, some times a little more (many people posted that their Drs recommended 1 oz water per pound for half your body weight (hat would be 96ozin my case) but I am thirsty enough to require more.  

the only other side that I have noticed at all, was the soreness ontip of my tongue - using the biotene mouthwash 2x day, its spray as needed and the gel at night, clears it up.  Have my first Labs Monday (7-7) including vl.  very anxious to get those results.

Hang in there.  Pat
Tough question.   I was on the same treatment but for 12 weeks as a geno 2.   As Jimmy said, starting week 8 or so can get little bit harder depending on your Hmg count.  You should  not be hit with anymore surprises, other than fatigue.   As stated, rest as often as you can and try to eat often, and healthy.  Your hemoglobin is causing you to be tired and not a lot you can do other then rescue drugs (Procrit) and transfusion.  Want to be honest and say after week 10, I was really tired but my Hmg was almost 9.  Ask your docs if there is anyway to give you something such as b12, or other supplements you can use for some added pep.   I really feel for you.   Just keep in mind its only temporary, and you will be hep c free when its over.  That is when your new life will begin.
Take care.    ...Kim