Hepatitis C Community
treatment with pegasys and celiac disease

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

I have not started treatment yet and have hepc genotype 1.  I have celiac disease as well.  Has any one ever dealt with this before?  I am scared of the side effects.
My son has celiac disease, but not hep c.  I do have hep c, but not celiac disease.  I just read earlier today on the forum that the treatments can cause a severe rise in the farritin level.  I don't understand this, as I've heard the treatment caused anemia. My son has sever anemia.  How he found out that he had celiac disease was that he had been unemployed for several months and then learned he and his wife were going to have a (surprise) baby. He volunteered himself to be a human gunea pig for one of those lab companies that will reimburse you.  After the extensive testing to see if he was "a healthy male age 18 to 49 that was available for overnight stays" he was told his ferritin level was 4.  And he was still walking around.  He did his own research and had the celiac panel done. The point is: both celiac disease and treatment can affect your farritin and iron levels.  So this would be one concern that I would certainly ask my doctor about. Hope this is helpful. And good luck to you in dealing with both the celiac disease and hep c.  I know they both can be very challenging.
Thank you for the feedback.  I was diagnosed 8 years ago and have been monitored.  I am just going to go through a liver biopsy so we will see what the dr. suggests.  I have been gluten free for eight years.  I was diagnosed with celiac and hep c at the same time.  My hemoglobin was a 6 and my liver panel was a mess.  Now, being on a gluten free diet my blood work is back to normal.  I read the medication labels on the internet that the tx is not meant for people with autoimmune diseases so I am really afraid.  We will see what happens after my ultrasound and liver biopsy before I make any decisions.  Once again thanks for your advice.