tuberculosis in the liver?
I have been recently diagnosed as having tb in the liver. I have no obvious symptoms in the lungs. I have a large lesion in the liver that was found during a gall bladder ultra sound. Liver biopsy showed necrotic caseating granuloma. Is this common? Has anyone else had this? I am leery of the regular tb treatment due to the liver damage that follows. My doctor at Tulane University in New Orleans has not come up with a plan yet. They tell me that this is highly unusual, to have tb in the liver without it being in the lungs first. Please advise
Granny,,,,Sorry to hear this and know you are looking for answers and honestly I have no idea and sure you have stumped everyone here.  Most of us are hep c patients and we could probably tell you anything on that and also there is no drs on this forum.  I hope you find some answers to your questions and wish you luck!
Mikesimon Are you out there? I haven't seen you around and I'm just wondering if your doing ok. Anyone email with Mike? LL

Hey Willing and TNhepguy. It's great to see you both posting. LL
tb is a tricky litle bugger and it can show in many palces even in the joints. however your lucky in a way as the treatment for tb is well established, however there is the posibility for further liver dmg as the drugs they treat with are hard on the liver.
who are you seeing at tulane i see dr. reginstiene in the abd transplant unit. he's very knowledgable and his np (cindy betz)
is the greatest.
good luck in treatment
I hope he is enjoying some overdue vacation to Bermuda.
Thanks, I am also seeing Dr. Regenstein.
Hi, I just came across your posting while searching for info on tb in the liver. Hope you are doing well by now. Can I ask what kind of treatment, medication, etc. you received?
Thanks.
maria dolor
So sorry to hear about the TB. I was treated for TB in 1986( LUNGS) for one full year I was pregnant with my first son.
My liver biopsy came back fine no liver damage at all.
20 years later I get diagnosed with HCV what next life really sucks..............

Take Care

Cierra
I stumbled towards my death from Consumption for 2 years in the hands of clueless physicians who failed to recognize Genitourinary TB that progressed across multiple organ systems to full-blown mesenteric & abdominal Tuberculosis. A 1.5cm lesion on my liver was one of the critical clues.

Beware the niaevite of most physicians on Extrapulmonary TB. Failure to culture for AFB, failure on biopsy and histopathology, a negative chest xray DO NOT EXCLUDE THE DIAGNOSIS. TB is simply a mycobacteria that knows no bounds. It can migrate thru the bloodstream or through adjectent organ systems - and leave no _obvious_ indication in the lung tissue from the initial infection phase. The lack of evidence on a simple chest x-ray is common, and proper diagnosis can suffer and be thrown off-track if no OBVIOUS lung problems are seen.

I nearly died twice overcome with infection in the hands of fools. Fortunately info on the web was critical to saving my life. Searches on 'abdominal TB' 'mesenteric TB' 'Ascities Tuberculosis' 'TB liver paratumor' 'liver hemangioma tuberculosis' et. al. will point to some very definitive articles from those who've seen it's progression first hand.
my father was also diagnosed last week to have a tb in the liver and he is undergoing treatment. his doctor here in Philippines assured us that it can be cured and thus he is undergoing 1 year medication
I have been ill, symptoms are fatigue, anxiety and inability to concentrate, for more than 10 years. I was being worked up for something else when they found a tumor in my liver. They removed it along with partt of the liver, turned out to be a granuloma caused by TB. I have no TB symptoms, I test negative on the ppd skin test, and my lungs are clear. Apparently my case is rare in that the TB is confined to the liver, I'm not contagious.  I am about to start TB treatment, as I just had the surgery 10 days ago.

Granny, I hope you are reading, I would like to know if you took the TB meds and how you did on them, or anyone else out there, any advice on taking the meds, they told me I need 2 months of intensive therapy and 7 more months of regular therapy after that. I was told to expect not to be active the first two months, but since I'm also recovering from major surgery, I wan't expecting to go dancing.

Any info would be appreciated.
This post is from 2005
Your story regarding tb and hcv sounds famiuar. Just wonder if the meds can cause side effects like this later in life. My daughter had positive tb test at the age of 5.  Her lymph nodes on her neck became swollen and one opened up into a sore on her neck. The nodes tested neg for tb. Seemed strange. We had them reomved. She took her meds. At now she is 18 and pregnant and found out she has HCV. I am her mother and dont have any answers for her.
I cant do anything to make this go away. They said her liver was at a lvl 5. She in her 4 month of pregnancy. Just seems strange to see the same pattern listed here. Any help would be appreciated I dont want my daughter to die. Im scared

20m
omg ur story helped me out so much. im 20 nd ive been having liver problems for as long as i cud remember. i just had an ultrasound done nd going in for the results next week. im defitnetly tell my doc bout tb in the liver cuz i did test positive for tb as a child
My father- in-law had tb of the liver in 1974 (also in New Orleans). As a newly graduated nurse, I hadn't heard of such thing & had only heard of tb in the lungs. He was treated with standard tb drug combo and died about 30 years later of unrelated circumstances. We never knew how he had contracted it.
im from Philippines too, my dad has a tb of liver.. could i ask what hospital you recommend where we could do check up.
Tatels post is from 2009. They no longer post here.
Are you still in the Philippines ? If you're in the North America you can look at my profile for a list of recommended doctors.
If you have more questions I suggest you begin a new thread.
hows is ur dad now?