Hepatitis C Community
tylenol 3 or naproxen 500 mg? Jim? Goof? anybody?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Hi everyone. I've got a herniated disc that has me in major pain. movement is restricted, etc. My dr. AND my NP are both out of the office for 2 days and I don't know if it's okay to take the tylenol 3 or the 500 mg naproxen prescribed by my PCP. HE doesn't know much about hepc so they can't recommend either. Can anyone advise? regular tylenol doesn't touch it and i'm at a loss... thanks so much in advance and hope everyone has a great day!  tracy
Thank you soooo much for your quick reply! I'm so afraid to take ANYTHING anymore. (people that used to know me would think that's funny)...I so appreciate all of you. Don't know what or who i'd turn to without you. thanks again.   tracy
Sorry to hear about your back. Ouch! I don't have any experience with these drugs on tx. I do think that naproxin may be a blood thinner, so you might want to consider that aspect if you have low platelets.
Thanks goofy. My last cbc had my platelets at 313. I'm not sure what the range is for platelets but my dr. didn't seem concerned?I go back in 1 week for the next labs. Maybe i'll stick to the tylenol 3. thanks for all your help.   tracy
Did you say 313? Holey Cannolle - no worries there! Good luck with the back. I feel for ya.
Can anyone add to my response to Rod Stewart Fan in the 4/08 thread on Interferon Dose Reduction? Her husband is getting confusing info on tx duration for Geno 1. I don't want her inquiries to get lost down there.
The study you asked about:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=16271794&dopt=Abstract

I have the full text if you want it. Though it doesn't add a whole lot.

Sorry about the back problem. I herniated one on a diving board a few years back and it gave me a lot of pain until I had surgery to fix it. When I started treatment my doctor offered me Tylenol 3 for pain and discomfort. I can't take codine due to allergic reaction so I guess bases on that there shouldn't be a problem. Doctors know best though. Dale
Thanks for link but that abstract leaves me with more questions than answers, including what TMA sensitivity are they talking about versus what PCR? A lot just didn't jive -- even the PCR figures -- what genotypes for example?  If you get a chance, could you post the full text here: http://tinyurl.com/edvbn
Everyone else seems to, including I think the ones that run the place :)

-- Jim
No real urgency on posting full-text for me. It's interesting but a mute point for both of us now :)
Couldn't get out of bed this morning -- still in.  Nothing specfic, just real tired like I was partying all night.  Did I do too much power walking yesterday, or am I relapsing?  LOL. How's you finger twitching? These are difficult times. Isn't your PCR about due?
I also have 3 herniated discs and my dr. took me off the naproxen after they found I had hep C because it's not good for the liver.  I take darvon only when needed and it does help.  I think what Kalio takes is sake for the liver, awhile ago someone on here posted what there doc gave them for back pain and it was safe.
Just found it in my book what they are taking: it's Vicoprofin which is what Kalio is taking and it's safe for the liver according to many drs.

Hope this helps,

beagle
Could you explain the down-time associated w/ disc surgery? My pcp acted like it wasn't really neccessary however this has been chronic for me for over 4 years now. At least 3x yearly i'm affected by this. takes about 7-10 days to recover and avoiding the problem is nearly impossible. i can step forward w/ my left foot and look over my shoulder (or something similiar) and i'm done.  I hate to whine but it's like i have metal-head from the riba, achey (achy) from the peg, i'm pms'in and now THIS. Of course, i have to clear the hepc before i can get the insurance needed for ANYTHING....thanks you guys....t.
I have five blown discs in my back and while advil has always worked the best and naproxyn - I am avoiding all Nsaids and taking tylenol.

I am on treatment and from what I understand they will change your body chemistry or something - so I stick with the tylenol as rarely as possible and just try to live with the pain.

It ain't easy but I just want a nice pink healthy liver again so much I deal!

Best of luck.

PS Remember tyelnol 3 is full of TYLENOL so try NOT to take them like every 4 hours or you are just pumping it in to your liver big time.
PS You'd be best off trying to get the doctor to prescribe just codeine straight without the tylenol in it (or hydrocodone pills - they don't HAVE to include the tyelenol you know?)
The place in Stuart, on Hutch, is a fixer-upper we've had only 2 years.  Eventually, we may end up there. Peaceful there, compared to farther south.  Wasn't there for the Eagles but am a fan of the other bird life in the area.
Thanks for all the help.
kalio
i had an mri several years ago when i first injured it, said disc was herniated and was given pain meds, told to rest, etc. doc said surgergy would be hard/ might do more damage. Over the last 4 years or so it has progressively gotten worse. NOW, i'm uninsured and although it sounds like there are lots of new procedures, i guess i'll have to try to clear this virus first. i've learned to accept that it will happen and i usually rest and take tylenol 3 and alternate with naproxen but this is the first attack since i was diagnosed and i wasn't sure what to take.

cajun, dyce- thanks guys! take care.
I know the area well, have frinds the Hutch. Island.  Can't wait to get back down there.  We have friend in Pompano Beach and they want us the come down there, but it's to crowded and I always liked the St. Lucie and Martin county area better.  Sorry we sold and moved away, Nov. will be 2 years here and will be able to sell without worrying about the capital gains tax.  Did you ever go to the Ashly and hear the story about the history of Ashley? They use to have good food along with other restaurants in Stuart town.

I hope when we get back down there they have the group the Eagles play again at the Pineapple fest.  Like I said before they sounded better then they did in the 60's and 70's.

Beagle
I really feel for you with that pain.  Been struggling with low back for over 25 years, was even planning to do two disc replacements til insurance said they wouldn't pay.  

I would say to stay away from Naproxen like NYG said since it isn't good for the liver.  I struggled with what pain pills to take during tx and finally have stuck with T3.  There is only 325mg of Tylenol in one, which is better than an Extra Strength tylenol and the codeine has always worked best for me.  If you can get it without the Tylenol, that would be great.  Let me know if you can since I would also prefer not to take the Tylenol.

I also use a lot of magnets for the low back pain, I know that sounds weird but it was the first thing I have ever found to work that wasn't in pill form and kept me working a lot longer.

Water is also important as you probly know. Codeine can constipate you pretty quick and you sure don't want that with back pain.

Hang in there!

miss
thanks so much! i'm going to research the magnets idea!  tracy
I've been able to ignore the various pangs I've been feeeling lately. I am jittery, and don't sleep so well off tx. It's a phase I went through early in tx, and I seem to be headed back through, thankfully in the other direction.  

I have spells where I get real tired. I'm feeling pretty good, maybe I over do it sometimes(honestly don't know) and suddenly I hit the wall. I take it as a series of peaks and valleys, with the valleys getting narrower and shallower as time progresses.

Try to relax dude! You are right where you would have wanted to be, had you been asked 12 months ago.
Vicoprofin is hydrocodone AND ibuprofen so while it's safe it's still got advil in it...

If you can take ibuprofin, that is better.  Forgot to say the headache I get with that is much worse than anything I might take it for.  So, tylenol for me.  Good point, Deb.

miss
I love advil love it love it and my doctor told me NOT to take it that it changes your body chemistry and while on tx if you need to take one or the other take the acetaminophen because it is a straight "painkiller" and won't affect your blood like the advil does.

Ibuprofen is the ONLY thing that will fix my headaches so I am praying I don't get one on tx or I will have to take the advils.
I know it's advil and I don't take it.  It seems on the forum many drs. do prescibe it, I've seen it mentioned here for awhile and I wrote it down in case I needed something stronger for the back pain, but I didn't need it.
Wonder why drs. give it if it has advil in it?

Beagle
G said I have spells where I get real tired. I'm feeling pretty good, maybe I over do it sometimes(honestly don't know) and suddenly I hit the wall.
-----------------------------
That sounds like today for me. Just dog tired. And yesterday, Powerwalked an hour and then hit some weights and the speed bag in the gym. Maybe the two are related? It could also be I'm weaning myself from Nexium which has helped prevent upper respiratory infections. Maybe I started weaning too soon. I'll accept anything but relapse at this point, almost decided to do another PCR today (that would be five weeks after my last peg shot) but I'm not really in a mood for more information. We'll see tomorrow.

-- Jim
<i>I'm not really in a mood for more information.</i>

LOL, I hear ya. Yesterday I didn't bother to call the lab to see if my PCR is in. I'm sure it must be in by today, but I kinda don't feel like dealing with it. Maybe I'll wait till the TMA portion will be in later in the week and just get both results together.
Talked to husband's dr. office earlier today. He has been having a lot of pain from herniated disk in back and a blown out knee. She said he could use either. She felt he would do better with the advil because it also is an anti-inflamatory. He is allowed only 600 mg a day of the advil though. Just found out his hgbl baseline - 15.8 now - 12.4. This is from his first 2 week blood test. Does that seem like a fast drop? Would that cause his fatigue or is it just the medicine like the nurse said?
He has had about a 3 pt drop.  That and a combination of meds can make him tired.  The tired goes back and forth with me.  My cbc's are holding their own, but I still get tired.  My guess meds.  I can go 2 sometimes 3 weeks feeling okay; then slam dunk.  I get so tired I only want to be in bed.  How is your hubby doing by the way.  I know you were concerned for awhile.  Hope all is well
Have a great day.

cajun
I have had a disc taken care of a few years back.  Mine was in my neck.  Btw C5-C6.  Having this fixed was the best thing I could have done.  I suffered with miagrains for years; getting worst every year. Kept telling the doctors I thought it was in my vertbrate; that kept falling on deaf ears.  When I started to wake up with my face, hands and arms numb; they finally sent me to a neuro surgeon.  I had this taken care of on Oct. 30 and by Janurary, I was ready to get active again.  The minute I opened my eyes after the procedure; I immediately noticed the difference.  

I had a girlfriend and my mother have disc taken care of in their backs.  6-10 weeks.  Depending on the person.

Good Luck

cajun
I , in my early 20's broke the **** out of my ankel, I had to have a plate and screws installed to repair it (the bionic man LOL). Needless to say at this stage 8 hours on it is a little painful. I've been taking 2 lortabs a day for years now, 12 hours a part, thats 1000 mg of tylenole and 20 mg of hydracodone a day. This med is prescribed by a pain specialist and she told me no more than 4000mg a day of the tylenole a day and if cirrotic no more than 2000mg a day.

My 2  liver bx's in the last 6 years show no liver damage, but I don't go over the 2000mg a day. She also said if I drink alcohol ,not to exceed 2000 mg a day.

Try this google search - http/:www.liverfoundation.org/db/advocasy/1020
Dyce
Thanks you guys. I'll stay away from the naproxen and i'm trying to avoid taking anything however pain will most likely worsen for a few days and it's almost impossible to walk. or turn over. or bend over. or get up. but other than that i'm a ballerina. i'll call the dr. and check on the option you told me about. thanks! have great days!   t.
thank you for your comments. Yes it was (is) scary when some of the sides starting happening. But like everyone, take it a day at a time. I do feel bad for him and all of you with what you experience. It is a lot to go through with no guarantees.