Hepatitis C Community
tylenol or advil???

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

tylenol or advil???

hello all. i hope everyone had a nice christmas holiday. i am wondering which pain reliever is safer...advil or tylenol. i would like to hear your point of view. thanx
i was told by my doctor tylenol while on treatment.  advil when not on tx.  the reason i was given was because of the blood clotting factor.  i am allowed 4 xstrength (1000 mgs) tylenol a day, if needed.
Tylenol Linked To Liver Failure

December 26, 2005 8:04 p.m. EST

Danielle George - All Headline News Staff Reporter

Washington, D.C. (AHN) - Acetaminophen is quickly becoming the leading cause of acute liver failure.

Use it correctly and acetaminophen, best known by the Tylenol brand, lives up to its reputation as one of the safest painkillers.

"The argument that it's the safest sort of has overruled the idea that people cannot take any amount they feel like," says Dr. William Lee of the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center.

Acetaminophen bottles currently recommend that adults take no more than 4,000 milligrams a day, or eight extra-strength pills.

Just a doubling of the maximum daily dose can be enough to kill, warns Dr. Anne Larson of the University of Washington Medical Center, in a MSNBC report.

The Food and Drug Administration has long wrestled with the liver risk, according to the report, warning two years ago that more than 56,000 emergency-room visits a year are due to acetaminophen overdoses and that 100 people die annually from unintentionally taking too much.

A study published this month by Larson and Lee has agency officials weighing whether to revisit the issue.
Seems this topic comes up alot.  My tx corrdinator told me no more than 2000mg's of Tylenol per day and the same w/Motrin.  Therefore I alternate beween the 2, 2 tylenol in the day time and 2 Motrin at night.

Hope ALL had a Very Merry Christmas and got to enjoy and be with the ones they love with "no sides".

Best to all
Fisheress
Hi. My MD told me tylenol 1000mg, no more than twice a day. and recently told me to take advil on days when the bone pain is severe, because i needed an anti-inflammatory.
Being an ltp patient, I am restricted to no more than 325mg a day or risk kidney damage, but only if approved by the surgical team.
My doctor never specified.  I took about 3 to 4 advil a day when needed.  i am still alive...
Everyone seems to have almost the same answer not to much of either.  I take Tynol on the day of the shots and was taking it for headaches also.  My MD told me to take Motrin for the joint pain and it does not help nor does it help the headaches.  I have advil but don't take that either.
Peace and Blessing to all.
Tyree
I only take Tylenol right now - doctor said Tylenol 2 as infrequently as possible.

I have always taken TONS of Motrin because it's the only thing that stops my headaches (from a motor vehicle accident and broken back) in the WORLD.

For some reason that I don't remember I thought that Ibuprofen changed your blood chemistry or something like that is why we shouldn't take them so I haven't.

I take two tylenol as rarely as possible but when I need them.  I figure it's like any drug at all and as little EXTRAs I need to be putting into my body right now the better.

But believe me if I get one of those headaches I am going to have to take 1,000 mg of Ibuprofen at least. When I get them it's either that or stick a knife through my head so I'll stick with that.
I know a lot of folks take Tylenol on shot night, etc., but there's really no rule about this. I did so the first couple of shots, didn't notice that much difference one way or another, and then stopped taking them. The only Tylenol I've taken since was for an acute ear infection and I only took one extra-strength dose. Truth is I feel like sh*t a lot, so I decided early on either I'd have to dope myself up most of the time or just go with it. I think the less of the liver-loading drugs you take the better in regard to the liver.

-- Jim
i want to thank everyone for responding to my post about pain relievers. to date, i have used liquid advil maybe twice since on treatment. my meds arrive monthly with samples of tylenol in them yet i have not used them. i prefer to not take anything due to the fact i am already on plenty of other meds.

i hope everyone has a nice and peaceful new years. i want to thank everyone who has helped me get through the old year and supported me. i have gone through various changes since i found out i had hepc and since i have started treatment. i have not posted much lately due to the fact that i have not been feeling well and spend most of my time sleeping. i am into week 23 and have 25 more weeks to go. again thank you everyone for being supportive of me through my rough periods.