Hepatitis C Community
undetectable value (>50iu/ml) without treatment?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

my husband was screened for hep c 2 yrs ago and Anti-HCV and Riba were positive. Then he went to our primary and got the HCV-RNA (PCR Quan) which came back >50 iu/ml. She said this was a rare (I wasen't there to ask more questions) and wanted to test him again in 6 months (never did). Well, my question is what does this all mean? He is going in to have the same test again requested by another dr. I can't find any info about undetectable levels without ever having treatment. Is it possible he cleared the virus back when he got it (either as a kid who had 2 tranfusions or when he used IV drugs 11 years ago). Any help or support will be helpful.
Yes, it is absolutely possible. He is really, really lucky if it is true.

It is good idea to retest. I don't quite understand the number >50. Is it detectable RNA or undetectable? Maybe it is <50?
I have a feeling you meant to write < 50.  From your post, i am assuming the

quantitative Pcr was negeative down to 50 copies of hcv .  I would say your husband

HAD Hcv from the transfusion or the iv drug use but his immune sysytem was able to

clear it without treatment.  this happens in about 20% of cases.  i would suggest

1 more Pcr test 2 months from the last one.  If that is neg, (and it probably will be)

your husband is clear of the virus but will have the antibodies for a LONG time, maybe

the rest of his life.  This is not a health problem but he cannot donate blood or organs.

Some people eventually lose the antibody, after several decades.
Yes, let him take a new test. They have PCR who show UND or less than 15 copies/mL
15% of all people will never get hep C.
Maybe he is one of them :)
Well, he's not detectable again. This is twice now with all his metabolic panel results all normal. I guess he must have cleared it up somtime in the past. If he got it when he was a kid, then that would make the idea much more plausible. I hope and pray for all who are stricken with ailments. I have a new outlook on life because of all of this.