Hepatitis C Community
undetermined

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

undetermined

I just had my 2nd blood test for hcv. Both results came back undetermined. Does anyone have info on this result?? I'm supposed to go back and get another blood test in a month. My Dr seems clueless, and left me very nervous and confused.
What kind of tests were they, specifically?
HCAB She wanted to do some other testing and then decided not to. She asked me why I was so worried, and said either you have it or you don't, you'll have to wait and see.
I'm still a wreck
Here's a link that may help:

http://hepatitis.about.com/od/diagnosis/a/HCVtests.htm

Sounds like a preliminary antibody test, which only indicates that you've had the virus but not necessarily have it now. These tests can have false positives, that is, could be wrong. I don't understand why your doctor would decide to not test further. Hopefully, other members can comment.
Thank you so much for the link...She said she thought my insurance wouldn't pay and that the test would be too expensive. She wasn't very concerned. She said if the next test comes back the same then she would talk to the pathologist to find out the next step. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You could check yourself with your insurance company. It might be that the result was 'indeterminate' rather than positive, in terms of its policy for further testing.

Sorry I'm over my head here but maybe someone else here could help you better than I.
Am on the 'run'  this minute but just wanted to add that from where I sit, having waited fourteen years to treat from the time of my official diagnosis, waiting a month for the next test your doctor is giving you is okay except from the point of view of patient anxiety, which is tough and we all understand it. Maybe your doctor thinks waiting a month may make the results of the upcoming test more conclusive due to subtle changes in your blood chemistry. Don't want to tell you to relax because that's a silly thing to say to someone in your situation but the truth is there's no fire to put out, even if you have HCV. Best wishes.
Thank you again for your comment. I noticed that you corrected me, from 'undetermined' result to 'indeterminate'. Thank you so much...when I was trying to get info on the undeter. I couldn't find much, tried indeter. found lots of information. The blood test she suggested but decided not to do was the RNA. She wants me to wait until end of Oct. to repeat the test and then will decide what to do. Sounds like you've been through alot more than I can even imagine.  
Thanks again! I hope things go well for you!
Kat --- your test came back undetermined/indeterminable undetectable for antibodies --- which means to me that you may have them or the test may be skewed or you may NOT have them.

In that case your doctor needs to re-test.

And your insurance should pay for it.

You're talking HCAB (HepB) or HepC?

Good luck with ya either way --- if the test was at fault or something with the way your blood was handled - then they should retest...

And YOU should call your insurance and ask for approval ahead of time - or have the insurance billing person at the doctor's office get an approval.

And I certainly would NOT wait a month.

I would want to know NOW.

Are you at a doctor's office that you trust?

Are you seeing a doctor that you are familiar with - and knows you?

Do you HAVE to go to THAT doctor? (like Kaiser, etc.)

Consider switching - because if my doctor didn't want to retest me --- without trying to find out if my insurance would cover it ---- without worrying --- I certainly wouldn't want to be with a doctor that would allow me to be freaking out for an entire month...

And you could always ask for the costs... and see if the cost fits in your budget out of pocket.

You could always get your blood taken at the red cross - who does screen for items like HEPB - HEPA - HEPC - HIV/AIDS.

Etc.

And there are health fairs that promote screening --- and charge nominal fees like 40 bucks or something.

Thanks for your imput!! I'm just very confused. I feel I've gotten more info from this web-site than my Dr. I've just made an appointment with a gastrointerologist for on the 15th of oct.
Thanks again!!!!!!
kat