urine in my eye
I am a nurse and the other night while catheterising a male patient some of his urine splashed into my eye. I irrigated my eye with warm water straight away. I later discovered that he is ?hepatitis. I attended A&E and had blood taken and have attended my Occupational Health Dept for a Hep B booster. Can I contract hepatitis in this way?
I don't think hep c can be contracted this way, unless his urine was bloody, as for the other heps, I am inclined to believe so. Have you check the CDC for answers?
Dodgy,

You say you're a nurse? You should have access to better information thenyou can get here...right? Why don't you ask one of your professional collegues or see a GI doc soon.
You see... this is why I love to check on this forum from time to time.  Even after being chased away becuase I don't have Hep C (I have another type of hep which is so unimportant I shall not even mention its name), by the way - why don't they change this to the Hepatitis C forum instead of Hepatitis Forum - any way, why I love to come back and lurk on occassion is for responses like the one in this thread - someone comes here and asks for help and what they get is to be berated for something or other.  I love that "You SAY you're a nurse... why don't you go elsewhere for advice... yada yada yada...  (overall jist - don't waste our precious thread here with your drivel)."  Keep it up, I love you caring souls!!!!!!!
Are you nursing a personal slight you may have suffered here some time in the past?  If so, that's not worth carrying forward.  There are better reasons to come here than to uncover evidence that this place is uncaring.  The way I read the response, the suggestion was that the workplace should provide this individual with direction and help relieve thier anxiety over the urine in the eye.  Though I don't believe the urine in the eye will transmit the disease, I agree that this nurses workplace has a responsibility to address thier concern and allay thier anxiety.  They should contact the CDC if need be.  

To the nurse: The CDC has a web site with much info on transmission of HCV.  That may put you at ease.  Take care, Dave
hey ya know, the world is not a perfect place. everyone is not sweet as pie but, for the most part on this forum we devote our time and efforts in helping others not tearing them down. most who come here experience a very caring enviorment. every once and awhile something sounds a bit harsh and for that i'm sorry but please read all the posts and you will see that the majority are very helpful and caring. also if you got to know each of us individually by our posts you pretty much will get to know who and what you can trust and who and what you can just as well shrug off.

we do use some tough love every once and a while if we think necessary and from time to time some have a bad day or are just fed up. but we are people and by that definition you will get the good, the bad and the ugly....

welcome to the real word!

if you felt chased away, that is sad to hear, some with AIH come here on occassions and do not feel that way.  I have a feeling that it was  not your condition but your attitude that might have set off a reaction with the members here(by your tone).  
"Old" members check in from time to time and might have some useful input for you if you have questions.
hope you are well
did you have an uranylisis run on the uring? i'd it shows rbc's.
cathing is tramutacitic to the urether and almost always produces rbc's in the urine.
does your hospital have an exposure protocal. these protocal's should have a basic labs draw for the pt. and for the staff person exposed, to include hep pannel as well as other infectious diseases
(aids etc). they should also of done the pannel on you.
if this was not followed they are in viloation of jcaho rules.
you should also have an infectius controle board at your hospital
and they should be coordaniting all test and treatments.
i'm not sure about hep being transmited by urine, but any exposure to body fluids should be agressively followed ( and possibly treated).