using fish oil
Hello to all, My husband was just told he had HCV and high cholesterol, this is all new to us we have six kids but trying to get threw it, He will not be seen till Dec. 7th by the liver doc and we are trying to help now in anyway we can..I know we need to get his cholesterol lowered but the meds will mess with his liver so we were told that fish oil will help lower his cholesterol,  does anyone know if that is true or not and also does anyone have good advise what he can do to help the HCV during this waiting period to Dec. 7th 2006.....Please help, totally worried.
I have family members on fish oil and they sware it works well.  It definitely won't hurt anything.  I would take it if I had a problem.  My grandpa takes it because his heart specialist said to for cholesterol.  It will help for sure.

Take care,

Steve
Cod liver oil could be bad for us because it has a lot of vitamin a. Vitamin a can possible be a problem for those of us with hep c. Fish oil pills, or liquid isn't necessarily high in vitamin a. Read the label. Also ask your doctor just to make sure about it.
Bob
That is very interesting.  I can remember a doctor way back in my past suggesting I put a "packet" (probly before ziplocs!) of warm cod liver oil over my daughter's tummy to calm her digestion and tummy pains.  He said his son actually asked for it!  That's about all I can remember except I never could figure out how to actually do it.  lol

So, fish oil is good for cholesterol?  My husband number was 1700 a couple years ago (yes, he is still alive somehow).  We have it down to about 400 I think but just might try him on fish oil.  Any suggestions what, where, what kind, how much, etc?

Thanks for the info and hope things are good today.

miss
is fish oil and omega 3 the same thing?
I heard somewhere to stay away from fish oil if your liver is compromised.  Can't remember where, maybe on here.

How high is his cholesterol?  What are the numbers?

miss
Fish oil can help lower cholesterol, and it is good for your heart too. A bowl of oatmeal every day can also help you lower your cholesterol.
Bob
Yes, fish oil and omega 3 are the same thing.
Hi.  I was diagnosed with hep c over 3 years ago from a blood transfusion.  All your husband can do is check around to get information.  I am in a clinical trial but got too sick after 5 weeks to continue.  The virus virtually doubled after taking the drug.  I now just go and get blood tests every few months until the study is over.  I am in early stages of liver disease and was told I have a lot of years left.  Also, don't believe everything you read.  You will hear all kinds of stories and be told to take this and take that.  Get a good liver doctor who knows Hep C well.  The high cholesterol is nothing compared to the hepatitis.  Be careful what you eat - try to avoid alcohol if at all possible.  I've learned a lot from a site called About.com.  If you would like some good information, check out the site.  Good luck to your husband.
Fish oils are know to have high mercury levels
I was told by my hepatologist because I am end stage with cirrhosis and fibrosis and have a fatty liver to avoid all fatty foods including Omega 3 fish oil so I would check with a Hepatologist before proceeding.
Some fish oil can be contaminated with heavy metals and other things, as Rocker pointed out, because a lot of fish is contaminated.  However, you can get Omega 3 fatty acids (the good stuff that is in fish oil) from organic Flax Seed oil -- which is not contaminated. It is available at most health food stores and needs to be stored in the refrigerator.
Flax is low in  the Omega 3,but has the Omega 6,if you want the best way to get your Omega 3,try KRILL OIL...the smaller the fish on the food chain the less toxins

http://products.mercola.com/krill/
Krill oil, logically enough, comes from krill, which are small, shrimp like crustaceans that inhabit the cold ocean areas of the world, primarily the Antarctic and North Pacific Oceans. Despite their small size–one to five centimeters in length–krill make up the largest animal biomass on the planet. According to Neptune Technologies, the Canadian company that holds the patent for krill oil extraction, there are approximately 500 million tons of krill roaming around in these northern seas, 110,000 tons of which are harvested annually.

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/uncategorized/why-krill-oil/
Look into CholestOff