Hepatitis C Community
virol load diff.

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

virol load diff.

hi, can anyon tell me the diff.between these 2 tests. how diff. is the hcv rna virolload test compared to the heptimax [tm] test.  hcv rna quantitative v.l.5220000<50 iu/ml. versas  heptimax[tm] hcv rna v.l. 16200000 <5 iu/ml.thanks so much.
of course the heptamax is able to measure detectable levels to a lower amount being more accurate but to compare VL #'s is hard because they change all the time. one day they could be low and the next day high, this difference is how many virons your body can kill off that day.
Avatar n tn
Clinical Care Options Hepatitis - HCV Core Curriculum

http://www.clinicaloptions.com/hepatitis/treatment%20updates/hcv%20core%20curriculum.aspx

If you have the time (maybe 20 minutes) please go to this websight and listen to the presentation on Hep C.  It is very informative and explains that the viral load test can be wrong be a log on any given day.  Not only does it fluctuate, but the tests themself can vary.

You have a high load with either of those tests.  Are you currnetly treating or considering treatment?
frijole
In addition to fluctuations in actual VL in the samples drawn form a patient, the actual method of testing being done can produce different actual counts.  Hence the sensitivity threshold at which they can measure.

One should expect that tests run fairly close to one another using the same method of measurement with the same degree of accuracy should produce numbers which are nearly the same.
Heptimax is more sensitive, and thefore it would be the better test to use once you start treating or after treatment is over. The other test would be OK to use prior to treating.
            y es i just started tx. mon. i'm geno 2 so should be able to get by with 24wks. so far so good on sx. but my gastro says it has a way of sneaking up on you.the 1st v.l was in may06 other higher one in jan. also bx. grade2 stage2 have had since mid 80's.thanks for all the info.
Avatar n tn
So how are you doing?  How have your first two days been?  You are on the computer - that's a good sign.  I am glad you had the biopsy -- so many genotype 2s don't. Has your doctor talked about getting a viral load test at week 4?  SOC (standard of care) is to not have a VL test until week 12.  However, getting one at week 4 may help with treatment decisions later.

frijole
i'm doing great sofar better than i expected.but i drink lots of water must be helping? how long have you been tx. i was dx. last may. i have been reading this forum since july. i go to see my dr. mon. so i will ask him about test at 4wks then.thanks again!
I too am a 2 - a/c person.  I have 3 more treatments to go. Am so glad I was not a geno 1.  I have had some hair loss the last 3 months.  Sounds as if you are doing just great and that is so good.      
mkh9 commented on Londres70's status
10356 commented on clean_in_ks's status
10356 commented on READY
Track your weight over time