Hepatitis C Community
want to know what stage 4 meansHi back agin my husband went to t...

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

want to know what stage 4 meansHi back agin my husband went to the live clinic toda

Hi  i was on  here three weeks ago, my husband was dx with hip c and cirrhosis.He  has  genotype 1 plus we found out  today he is at  stage 4.  What does stage  4 mean  is  that the later stage of it. They set him up in 2  weeks to see the   liver doc. The nurse at  the liver clinic said  when  they did  my  husbands altrasound it showed the damage  on it and  thats unusual, not sure if thats good or not.They also told us  that he shouldn't  take vitamins yet cause it  would be to  much   stress on his liver. Thank you   all for being here and helping  people out  that need answers    
Hi Blondie -

There are different scales for measuring liver damage, which, in the ealry stages, is called fibrosis. Stage 1, 2 , and 3 are levels of fibrosis. Once you get to stage 4, that called cirrhosis. There are actual changes that occur as areas of liver tissue transition from stage 3 to stage 4, but that's a complicated picture.

Once you hit cirrhosis, there are different levels there too. All the way from very mild to end stage liver disease. There is a scale for measuring that too, but right now I forget the name.

There is also the MELD score. That one is pretty easy to figure out. It's a calculation that's done using values from normal blood tests, and doctors use it to determine whether you need to be on a liver transplant list.

Having liver damage that's visible on an untrasound is not normal for a hep c patient, but it does happen if you have cirrhosis. My untrasound once showed texture in the liver, but I treated my hep C infection and now my liver's getting better. I may still have cirrhosis, but I appear to be headed in the right direction and my ultrasounds are clear.

Best wishes to you and your husband.    
Stage is the amount of fibrosis(scaring) detectable by biopsy from stage 1(mild) to stage4(cirrhosis)  Grade is the amount of inflammation, which is caused by the activity of the virus.  Generally speaking, inflammation is the precursor to fibrosis.

The biopsy is graded in 2 scoring systems.  Both the degree of scarring(known as the "stage" of liver disease) and the degree of inflammation(known as the grade of disease)  There are 4 stages. Stage 1 refers to minimal amount of scaring, limited to an area of the liver known as the portal triad (where the arteries,veins and bile ducts are found).  Further progression of scaring outside of the portal triad and into surrounding liver cells is considered stage 2 and 3.  When scaring results in long bridges of fibrous tissue that separate nodules of normal liver tissue, it's called stage 4, or cirrhosis.

Liver disease also is graded on a scale of 1-4.  In grade 1 there is minimal infiltration of inflammatory cells into the portal triad.  As these cells spill over into the liver tissue  from the portal triad, it is considered grades 2-3.  Finally, large amounts of inflammation that involves all the liver is known as grade 4.

If you inflame your liver, you can develop scar tissue or fibroses which can be bad.

I hope this helps your understanding
Missy
From my understanding, there are 2 main types of stage 4 one is much more serious than the other and needs a liver transplant. I have 2 friends with that problem. I hope they get the livers they need. It sounds like your husband has the less serious kind because the doctor wants to treat him.
OK, if your husband was diagnosed with cirrohsis, it is serious.  Yes, cirrohsis is staged.  I am sure your liver doc will want to assess "how" cirrotic his liver is.  In addition to perhaps running some more blood tests (not sure you posted what all tests have been run) he may very well run an endoscope.  My husband's biopsy was "probable cirrohsis"  and the docs took that very, very seriously.  Symptoms of more servere cirrohsis can be diagnosed through endoscope, other symptoms that are visible to a lay person and can point to more severe cirrohsis are fluid retention, yellowing of the eye balls and skin, mental confusion, shaking hands and probably some I'm not remembering.  If he has no symptoms and the endoscope is clear he will be labeled as "compensated" and it means his liver is functioning and doing what it needs to do.  As soon as some of the symptoms of liver failure turn up he will be on his way to "decompensated".  Regardless he must not drink any alcohol.  Period.  It is one of the most toxic things we can put in our body for the liver.  Other than that the docter can guide on whether or which over the counter medications he can take as well as vitamins or any other supplements he might currently be taking.  If he is compensated - liver functioning well - he will be able to start Hep C treatments and this can be a very positive step in improving his liver if Hep C was the unlying cause of the cirrohsis.  Unless your husband was an alcoholic maybe this is a shock to you, if so,I can relate.  One sunny day my H and my life changed forever with a diagnosis of probable cirrohsis. Read and you will begin to understand that this is not necessarily a "death sentence" just hopefully a fews years in a long lifetime.  But it is serious business not be taken lightly.  Listen to your doc and read, read, read.
my dr said even if i ever did get to cirrosis (cirrhosis) it was not the end of the world. as goofy said there are stages of that also. if in the worst stages and a transplant is needed they are doing "partial" transplants now. taking a piece of a healthy liver hopefully from a child or family member and letting it grow in the reciever. i heard that the donor's liver returns to full size in only weeks. wow. be good to your kids for a while.
May I ask how did they diagnose that he is with stage 4 ?
ty e1 for letting me know what stage  4 means....anser to the last  question thats what the rn  told us  when we were in here office..she from the  liver  clinic...she showed us a pic  and said stage 4....you  got me I  have no idea all I know is  i am at a loss here....I am grateful   for all the people onhere  that  know what they know  and  are  able to help people...My  husband has an appoinment alreay   May 3 with the liver spicelist that was fast cause his doc  said  it would  take  just  about a year to get in...but i  guess   when  you go to  a  liver clinic they get into the backdoors  alot faster...i will  let you all know   more after our  visit  I know  i wil have alot more questions....again   ty   ever so much...take  care  e1   bfn   carol
I just found out that a friend of my has hepatitis c stage 4.
Since I'm involved with this person sexual, does it mean that I need to get tested to. I'm really concerned about the matter and need some feedback.
He's not wanting to talk about it, he's very upset.
I'm wanting to think positive about the matter and see if it something you can live with.