Hepatitis C Community
weight loss after treatment

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

weight loss after treatment

Hi has anyone had any luck losing weight after treatment i was told i would lose weight while on treatment but no such luck it was the only thing i was looking forward to besides undetectable and no such luck have not lost an ounce but i have not gained either but i have picked up weight about 6 months before i knew i had hep c

Im hoping maybe someone can give me some good news

Thank you miss fat *** lol
I thought I was going to lose the first time I treated and I was kind of looking forward to it as well. Instead I was less active and I actually gained! I lost a lot of weight the second time I treated (triple therapy) I think it is because I was sick in the beginning and Incivek just destroyed my appetite.

The weight loss sometimes associated with Hepatitis C is mostly about change in appetite, change in taste, tolerating the meds and the like.

There is a paragraph on page 12 about weight loss & treatment
HCV Advocate
Treatment for Hepatitis C: Side Effect Management

http://www.hcvadvocate.org/hepatitis/factsheets_pdf/Treatment_Side_effect_Guide.pdf
i was thinking that also as im not as active and i know i should be walking but we are having very nasty weather here and very cold just makes you want to stay in under the blanket

Maybe if my timing was right i will be done treatment at the end of march thats the beginning of spring ill have to start walking then get on my bike just didnt know if weight loss was gonna be easy beause i know treatment does mess with ones thyroid

thanks for the info
I can attest to the fact that treatment (specifically interferon) DOES indeed have the potential to mess with the thyroid. You should be having TSH tested from time to time as well as with your base lline labs. I should have pointed out that it messed with mine the first time as well. The reason I didn't is because when treating with only the Peg & Riba I was Hyperthyroid (which often means one loses weight) but I gained. The second time, on triiple (last year) I was Hypothyroid (which can cause weight gain or inability to lose weight) and I lost 20 pounds and a boatload of hair unfortunately....

Check you labs and be sure to ask when your last TSH was & will be♫
today is my first day starting triple therapy with incivek and uim hoping to drop a few pounds! good luck with everything!
Yes idylic i was sooo looking foward to the weight loss but just my luck nothing my doc said if im shedding more then 3 pounds a week  to let him know right away i said hell ill let you know just as soon as i look like a super model lol but nothing ever works out in my favor

But let me ask you will my thyroid go back to normal after treatment its not like im picking up weight but not losing either most of my weight gain its from about 6 to 8 months before i even knew i had hep c
My dr told me I was definately going to lose weight on tx. That was the only thing I was looking forward to while treating. I GAINED 15 pounds the first 2 weeks! It was all in my belly. I looked 6 months pregnant, I even got stretch marks. About 4-5 months post tx I lost 20 pounds! It just melted away. I started getting a big fat deposit on my belly 13 years ago when I contracted Hep C. It is long gone. I eat organic whole foods most of the time.
Thank you Kittyluvr

let me ask you something you said you gained 15 the first 2 weeks was that before you did treatment and you lost 20 after treatment foregive my stupidity im just not getting what your saying but i see you said the big fat deposit was when you contracted Hep c this is the highest my weight has ever been im just hoping this is because my body is storing fat for some big event in life lol just a little humor but i guess im just trying to see if my thyroid is out of control

Thanks racky