Hepatitis C Community
what to expect from treatment?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

what to expect from treatment?

I just started my treatment today, this morning in fact and I feel great so far. I hope it continues to be this easy, hopefully it is not the calm before the storm. I just found out I had Hep C in January and it absolutely terrified me, but I am only in stage one and am going to do everything in my power to fight this disease!! I have heard some pretty bad side effects of the pgysys and ribavirin, like vomiting, and aging quickly, dry skin among other things and was just wanting some advice from others on what to expect?
keep you fingers crossed. only 20% have an easy time of it. just read here
regularly to find out what might be in store for you. sometimes it gets you
so down that you dont think you can make it. you can. you have the attitude.
the fear and worry will subside considerably after the first few months.

these first
few weeks and months are the most important. get your viral load tested
every two weeks minimun. the whole war can be won or lost in these first few weeks.
dont take it lightly.
Nobody can figure out how it's going to be for anybody...everyone is different.  I will tell you that during different times of treatment different sides come and go...I never got the "flu like symptoms" in the beginning of treatment but later I suffered many hard sides (the anemia, my thyroid was killed by the interferon, autoimmune disease problems, serious skin issues to name a few).

Learn as much as you can about the disease so if anything does happen...you'll know what to do.

Cruelworld is right - the first month or 12 weeks will make or break your course of treatment, the PCRs are CRUCIAL to determine how long you'll need to treat (if you will need to extend or not).  Don't take them lightly and get them done at least every two weeks at most.

Good luck!