Hepatitis C Community
whats the chances of hep c coming back after treatment

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

My g/f contacted hep c and turned jandace with in six months...she did the dual treatement for a total of 20 week...she showed no virus after 4 weeks of treatment...her virus load was 2.6 ant week 0 and no virus at week 4 and she stopped treatment 3 month ago and still shows no virus...she was tod not to drink bu she is drinking and she is not resting or taking care of herself...what is the chances the virus can wake back up and how long  on till it shows up again...the doctor wanted her to do 48 weeks but she refused and commited to 24 week at week 20 they had to stop her blood was so bad and low that if she kept going she could hae dyed....let me know any thoughts or opionion ty
Do you know what genotype she had?

The virus doesn't sleep and then wake back up. It is either dead and gone or you still have Hep C. You say she shows no sign of virus since she stopped tx. Does that mean she has had her viral load checked? If she has, she is a very lucky person to have cleared the virus in only 20 weeks.

Her drinking won't make the virus come back, but it isn't good for her liver.

Diane
Do you know what genotype she had?

Diane
i hope you can help lead her to treatment for alcoholism. my humble opinion is that a person who drinks after 20 weeks of treatment has addiction issues. if she is lucky she will stay clear and virus free but she could still relapse. it is my sense that one needs to be virus free for a longer time before sighing the big relief sigh. whether drinking has an effect on this i do not know but as diane said it sure wont help her liver heal. best to u both, babs
she is gyno type one.....they want her to have ultra sound but she is refusing...she is walkuing around with blood work papers proving to everyone she is cleared .......she stoped treatment one day and has beer drinking every weekend since  fri, sat and sundays...I think its gonna come back but she wont listed 20 weeks of treatment isnt enough
well she cleared the virus in 4 weeks but couldnt stay on treatment.....how can it come back if her last two viral load cheecks came back negative for the virus
When are her blood test results from?  During treatment?  Four weeks after end of treatment?  Three months after end of treatment?  Since she's only three months past end of treatment, it can't be any longer than that and therefore she doesn't know yet if she's cured.  She won't know she cleared the virus until SIX months after she stopped treatment. She should stop drinking until she knows for sure the virus is completely gone and that will require a test taken at six months after stopping treatment that shows she is still undetectable for Hep C virus.  Every experienced hepatologist will tell you this.  It's the standard those of us on treatment all go by.  Her blood tests only show that the virus is undetectable RIGHT NOW but that doesn't mean it's not laying low and resurging now that the treatment drugs are no longer doing their job.  I hope for her sake that a six month test post end of treatment test comes back undetectable for virus - she is not truly cured until that happens.
wow  she goes for blood work again in feb  so i guess that will be the 6 month test...I myself dont think its gone....20 weeks of treatment is just getting started...she is in denial and trying to lie to me i think...I tried to tell her this in a way but she sees it differantly
It doesn't matter HOW she sees it.  Facts are facts and rather than tell her she's lying, simply tell her she's incorrect.  Tell her it's great that she's undetectable at her last test and that you hope that's also the case when she tests at six months after end of treatment in February because then that will mean she's cured, not only undetectable.    Her doctor should know this also and telling her to check that with her doctor would be calling her bluff if she is indeed trying to bluff you .. or herself.  Ask her to stop drinking until that test happens, if you can.

If, for whatever reason, you can't say any of this to her....then simply wait out the six month test results for yourself and be aware of the situation in the meantime.  Good luck.