Hepatitis Social Community
12 week lab tests in Canada

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

12 week lab tests in Canada

I'm a Canadian in Alberta. They don't do 12 week PCR tests here (I mean 12 weeks after treatment). You have to wait six months.

What's the situation in other provinces? Has anyone (in Canada) ever paid to have a 12 week PCR done after treatment? I don't expect our health care system would allow that - to much like two-tier healthcare.

rk
Hi rk-

I'm in BC,I had a 12 week post tx  PCR done here and I'm still UND.I think they just started doing that this year.Before for G3 they only use to do one at EOT and 6 months post  tx.Now they do a 4 week,12 week ,EOT,12 weeks post tx and 24 week post tx.I think if you insist and put a little pressure,tell them you're having to much anxiety over this they allow you one.If not and you can afford it just pay for it,get the qualitative one it's cheaper.After all if your 12 week PCR comes out negative it will put you in the 99.7 % range of being cured

Best of luck to you

Dannyboi7
Hi rk-

Best of luck to you

Dannyboi7
Thanks Dannyboi7. I knew from a previous post you were still UND at 12 weeks post. Congrats! Odds are in your favor.

Maybe I'll see if they will do a 12 week post. On lab forms, when you order a PCR there's room to check 6 month, 12 month, 24 month and 36 month post treatment tests. And you can only order three tests post treatment PCRs.

They also don't do 4 or 12 week PCRs for G2 and 3 while you are being treatment, which is kind of crazy. I think treatment protocols have changed since they developed the form cause now docs want to extend treatment if you are still detectable at week 4. But you know that cause you are G3.

We sent in the 12 week in-treatment PCR lab tests anyway and hoped the provincial lab would let them go through. They did. My nurse said it just depends which lab tech looks at the form. Kind of a crazy system.

Anyway - my nurse says they are going to change testing protocols, but given it's government I expect it will take a while. The wheels of government move slowly.

rk
  Seems like we are always a little bit behind in Canada.I don't see the point of doing a PCR @ 36 weeks post treatment since a UND @ 24 weeks is considered a cure everywhere else in the world.And a 12 week UND is considered the equivalent of a 24 week UND unless you have cirrhosis.If they refuse your 12 week PCR you can always ask them to switch your 36 week to a 12 week one, I've seen people do this type of stuff here in BC and it worked.It would be a great thing for you to find out before the holidays,lets hope the lab tech pulls it through for you.

All the best to you.

Dannyboi7
Yes, we do seem to be behind. When you are trying to make changes in government you have to deal with numerous groups and competing interests. It slows things down.

Just talked to my nurse. She said the provincial lab doesn't like to do 12 week tests cause they are expensive. And, they aren't conclusive. And she's right. I'll just wait. Cause even if I got a PCR at 12 weeks, I would still be anxious until the 6 months test.

The goods news? I got my 6 week post treatment blood work back and all my levels are coming up. HGB up to 125, white blood almost back to where it was and thyroid functioning in the normal range. And my ALT is still low  at 18. When I was done treatment it was 17. So that's good too.

rk
  Those are great numbers and thyroid is back to normal,you must be relieved.90 % of relapses occur within the first 6 weeks after treatment.Your ALT still being low is a good indicator that you haven't relapsed.
I didn't know that time frame about relapses. Sure wish they'd do earlier PCRs here, just for the peace of mind of folks like us.

It can't be all that much money. I bet less than an hour of time (when you figure out checking into the lab, blood taking and testing, shipping and then a call from the nurse.

Oh well.
In BC a QUAL. PCR is around 2 hundred dollars,the one they use as a <15 sensitivity. Which is pretty good.When they say expensive don't mention numbers do they..lol..After all its your life and your health they're dealing with,2 hundred dollars is not that much in these circumstances.

When your dealing a health care system your not dealing with a person your dealing with a bureaucracy a system and  your just a number on their charts and stats.The good thing is every rule as it's loop holes and you can work with that.Believe me I'v been dealing with the Canadian Universal care system for 20 years,First Quebec now in BC,it's the same every where.Always remember when your talking to a nurse or doctor your not talking to a person your talking the system and the answers you get is according to what the system as to offer.Took me very long to realise that.