Hepatitis Social Community
A/G ratio

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

A/G ratio

Anyone with advanced fibrosis monitored their A/G ratio?  Mine is slightly elevated, but I have no previous data to compare with.  I am curious to know if it fluctuates depending on how liver healthy we have been.  Does a drink lower it?
A drink?  Hardly>  Many drinks will elevate your levels and cause further damage.  One beer makes me sick as a dog.  Miss my beer!
The A/G ratio is albumin/globulin; lower is worse and that was my question.  Will a drink make the ratio lower (worse).

I never paid attention to it before, since my Alt and Ast were off the charts.  Now that I am SVR, my enzyme levels are normal and the only abnormal readings is elevated globulin and that make the ratio abnormally low.

My doc said that I can have an occasional drink now and I did have that beer before the test to see if it made a difference :(.
"Some laboratories also report the calculated ratio of albumin to globulins, termed the A/G ratio. Normally, there is a little more albumin than globulins, giving a normal A/G ratio of slightly over 1. Because disease states affect the relative changes in albumin and globulins in different ways, this may provide a clue to your doctor as to the cause of the change in protein levels. A low A/G ratio may reflect overproduction of globulins, such as seen in multiple myeloma or autoimmune diseases, or underproduction of albumin, such as occurs with cirrhosis, or selective loss of albumin from the circulation, as occurs with kidney disease (nephrotic syndrome). A high A/G ratio suggests underproduction of immunoglobulins as may be seen in some genetic deficiencies and in some leukemias. More specific tests, such as albumin, liver enzyme tests, and serum protein electrophoresis must be performed to make an accurate diagnosis."
http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/tp/test.html

From what I have read a slightly elevated ratio is usually nothing to be concerned with. Of course I always like to hear what the doctor thinks.
I doubt that one beer would skewer the results but I have no citation in support of that - just a lack of citations that would suggest the contrary.

Mike
" doubt that one beer would skewer the results"

Nor skewer you're liver either - unless it was maybe a "Rusty Nail" :)

har-dee-har...
God I haven't had a Rusty Nail in 30 years there used to be a great bar named that..........ah the days the days.......
Thanks for the info
Sorry Eric this was one subject I have absolutely no knowledge of whatsoever in this world......never even heard of it really a/g levels.......

Too much to  learn isn't there - even for old timers who think they know it all like me ;) (the day that happens we can have a party!)

Did you have the beer right before the test is what I was wondering? Or like the night before? I'm just nosey I have no scientific data to say squat...it just popped into my mind.

I had two beers the night before.  Now that Mike has explained how the ratio works, I no longer think beer had anything to do with it.  The two factors are albumin and globulin.  If my liver function was impaired, the albumin would have been low.  Instead, my globulin was high indicating inflammation of some sort.

Take care,
Eric
Just the fact that you are asking about how "one" drink might affects your results:    No "alcoholic" just drinks "one".   Just something to ponder.