Hepatitis Social Community
An Honest Question

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

An Honest Question

How many people think that some people post just so that they can grow "stars" and try to get "best answerer answers"?  I mean forget about posting honest valuable information I'm talking about redundant BS and things that shouldn't even be bothered with on the social forum as well as the medical side.  Almost like saying "agree" "agree" "agree" over and over and posting absolutely random thoughts just for the hell of it ... just for 'points'.

I think so, definitely and obviously.

What do you think?
Well, that's why I'm posting so yes, I guess I agree. agree, agree, agree...........

Starstruck Mike
I don't have the knowledge to answer anyone questions so guess I'll never get a star.
Maybe that should be one of my goals in life?

Happy being a non-star person
Dj
I don't worry about stars.
Maybe we are addicted to MedHelp.
Check me out I'm agreeing with myself! ;)  Then I'll give myself a couple hundred best answers too (seriously I know you can't do that but it's a fun idea).  10,000+ posts later (between my old name and new) and I'm still here posting like mad crazy.  I just really like stars a lot.
I agree, agree......maybe I'll get my 5th star   LOL
Well i agree with you girl, but it doesn't matter though cause everytime i get 5 stars it runs away, oh well i had a dream about him last night.

cando can't keep his stars
cando, one day real soon bunch of baby stars are gonna show up on your doorstep chirping "daddy, daddy"

And I want to see pictures
YIKES!!!

I hope they forget fathers day too
I think posting on these HepC Communities is a way that helps ease anxiety. I've got 2 more weeks until my 6 month EOT PCR and I'm so anxious I can't stand it, that's why I've been on here so much lately. If you're not SVR you have to deal with a lot more anxiety.
Wow, everyine here has lots of stars
Star-struck and starless
Dj
Everyone: guess I need a spell checker not a star.
you don't post useless drivel all day - well usually that is anyhow hahahahaa just kidding.

I'd just rather see real issues - like you said the social side is out of control and even though it's "social" it should have something to do with something real or relevant.........it's just outta hand now.  Like should I start posting about what I had for lunch - is that social or just absurd?
When a thought comes into my head, it comes out of my mouth... unless I'm having a "wise person" day, which doesn't happen too often. On here, if a question pops into my head, I type it. Can't talk to anybody around here about anything... they all look at me like I'm dying because I'm white as a sheet, and have slowed way down. I do try to answer what I'm pretty sure I know, and not just take up space.

But I must admit... I was tickled to get my 4th star.
As you know we can get stars just for saying there there poor baby or gee I know what you mean; or you guys are so funny.  And if you do it over and over, boom...another star appears.  If you pit some of the top star holders against someone like Willing who only has 3 stars it's quite comical isn't it?  Sad but true, quantity out ranks quality.  

I've got 3200 posts with some very compelling and precise information.  I think I have 4 stars, I really don't pay it much attention.  So if you come on board and post, post, post contents makes no difference because your going to rack up those stars up whether the post is drivel or facts.

Trin    

Oh, forgot to say I rarely start a thread unless I feel it's worthwhile.  I think initiating threads fast tracks the star process.

Starbucks Trin
someone like Willing who only has 3 stars it's quite comical "

One of the three most respected members of all time but no he's not a top answerer (that would be ridiculous he doens't post enough!) - that makes so much sense to me, after all why would people come here for quality over quantity?  Don't get me wrong we can get silly sometimes together, but basically we've taken this forum very, very seriously for the past many years. Now it's less about taking care of people who have hep and more about ego.  

Well we know who the top real posters are and that is what matters even if uh *cough* WillingMikeBill *cough* don't get the credit (sorry If I left somebody out I"m just making my point and am having a helluva week).
PS When I leave this job next week and move to the next I wont be posting as much any longer - it's not really related although it will seem that way for sure.
You going back to the boss that wants you to wear the 4-inch heels?  Career advancement?
Im hoping not G - that horrible horrible little man......but my boss quit and will not be replaced (owners son) so I will have to take what I can get and then work on finding something else. So that means wearing turtlenecks in the middle of summer so I dont have to hear about what my boobs are doing on that particular day and all that other crud as you remember.

I'd rather do another course of interferon and I'm not really joking at all. But when you got kids what else you gonna do except pray things work out eventually.

"I've got 3200 posts with some very compelling and precise information."

Really? I thought I saw where you posted something about toilet paper removal. Seemed like lots of people enjoyed the laugh too.

"Oh, forgot to say I rarely start a thread unless I feel it's worthwhile.  I think initiating threads fast tracks the star process."

Do you think it could possibly be that you don't start many threads anymore because you have done many months of tx, and don't have any more questions to ask?

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought the whole reason for this forum was to give us new people a place to go to ask people who have been through it things that we need to know to make it through ourselves.
Let's be careful now.

Mike
The****** Rage takes control while on tx. I'm sure you remember those days.

Please note... I didn't call it "you know what"
"Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought the whole reason for this forum was to give us new people a place to go to ask people who have been through it things that we need to know to make it through ourselves."

With all due respect, you are wrong.  This forum is not just for new people who are treating.  And that's all I'm going to say about that.

Trinity
"Do you think it could possibly be that you don't start many threads anymore because you have done many months of tx, and don't have any more questions to ask?"

Nope, lot's of questions still remain about the uncertainty of my future and I live with this disease everyday and it ain't no walk in the park.  I posted honest responses to the OP's thread "An Honest Question".   My perception.

Trinity

I am having so much trouble understanding all of this. Being on TX makes CONFUSION my normal state of affairs, so could we just say straight out that the "oldtimers" wish us "newbies" would stay off of here until we learn enough to be worth while, if that actually is the point?

And what about toilet paper removal?

As far as anyone writing just to get stars, how sad.
Ideally we feel good about who we are not about how many stars we have or about some symbol on a screen.

I think the stars are silly and juvenile. Silly is fine by me however since I never cared much for the competitiveness of grade school teacher's pet behaviour ( I was always in trouble for talking too much) I'd vote to remove the stars altogether.

OH
Most of the questions that are asked by newbies have been asked before. There's a LOT of great information here available by searching. That, of course, doesn't do anything for the star system. This whole star thing negates the width and breadth of discourse that has occurred here and downplays the worth of the MH archives, which is a real shame.
I don't know about newbies and oldtimers, to this site I'm a newbie to this disease I figure at least 40 years and my health is starting to deterioate(sp)

I come on this site and the medical side to understand what is happening to me and what I can do about it.

I have gotten alot of good advice from newbies and oldtimers, and for that I thank everyone.

I think everyone has something to offer in this fight, which is a fight for our life.

P.S.
can I have a star now?

Dj
You can have one of mine...
About the toilet paper post.  If you care to look back at the threads during the time of the toilet paper removal post was made you'll see the entire forum page was nothing but nonsensical posts.  There was a method in that madness; a point to be made through such ridiculous topics.  I'm sorry you missed that.

I don't see this thread being personal as in oldtimers vs newbies.  No one mentioned anything of that sort.  Please re-read ny's post.

Agree orphanedhawk stars are silly and juvenile.

Trinity  

There's alot of times I don't post because honestly, I can't say anything about telling somebody, 'oh yea, you're definitely going to clear'..., or do, A,B, and C and you'll clear.., because that has not been the case for me.  And if I was to say that, then, I'd feel like I was being a phoney of sorts, a hypocrit.  All I can say is that I still stand behind my decision to do treatments, even if they haven't worked for me.  When I do see that I might have something of value to add to the conversation, I'll occasions put my 2 cents worth in from time to time, but that's about all I feel like doing right now.

Susan400
I think people pay way too much attention to stars in general.  Who has what stars, who is posting for stars, who's on the top star list and the ones who THINK they're not paying any attention to stars and think they don't mean much are always noticing the stars and making comments about them and are far more obsessed with the star situation than they seem to realize.  Even using stars to criticize someone else belies someone's actual rather than stated interest or disinterest.  

If someone's posting to get more stars, let them.  The stars are virtually meaningless and it's the content that matters.  Someone can praise themselves for the quality of their posts but that doesn't make it so any more than MedHelp's star ratings determine quality.

Silly games and post battles isn't going to help. That actually makes things worse.  MedHelp revoking it is about all that's going to change it or, at the least, MedHelp clearly stating that the stars are for the number of posts rather than any kind of designation of quality.   I still say change "Top Answerers" to "Top Posters" or "Highest Number of Posts" and that would be more palatable.  

And do away with the Best Answer thing.  It's also meaningless for how it tends to get used and abused and it's also very subjective and individual and doesn't indicate an overall best answer at all.  People need to take all the information presented and determine what's useful for them and leave the rest but someone else could come along and entirely different posts in that thread would end up being the best answer for THEM.  

MedHelp said to wait for them to finish implementing all the changes.  I haven't seen anything change since that time.  I think we're stuck with the stars and if that's the case, I simply choose to ignore them and focus on content.
I imagine they'll implement platinum series stars shortly for the truly elite...
largest known star

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=174966
What did you have for lunch today?   ;)
he probably had designer whey.  BTW - I don't need any yellow stars I see white stars floating around all the time since I was on tx.
This whole stars thing reminds me of a Dr. Suess book.  Can't remember the name of that one, but it's the one where all of the birds were walking around, some of the birds had 'stars upon thars'  (which was a star on their belly) and other birds had no 'stars upon thars'.  Then, some money making guru invents a machine for the birds to go into to get 'stars upon thars'.   At the beginning of the story, the birds who had the stars, thought that they were better than the birds who did not have them.  When all of the other birds were getting their stars in the machine, all of a sudden, the one's who had them originally, got mad because they no longer felt superior.  So, they invented a machine to take their stars off of them..., so that they could feel superior again.  At the end of the story, all of the birds were either going into the machine to get their 'stars upon thars', or to the machine to take them off..., the birds all got so mixed up that they forgot who was 'best' originally and they all decided that it didn't matter, that they were all equal.  I know it's dumb, but I've always just loved Dr. Suess books and that one to me was such a great example of how stupid prejudice is, and how stupid it is to feel superior to another person.  We're all on this planet together and it would be a good idea if all of us could live together in harmony.  That's my philosophical thought today on my 49th birthday!  Susan400
I don't think people are posting just to start that stars count-up.  I think you post when you are really sick and don't have anything else constructive to do; just to feel like you are doing something useful.  Then some people (self included) find it hard to stop posting after they aren't sick any more.  It's become habitual behaviour.  I think compulsive posting is just part of forum participation and not connected to any perceived reward like stars.  It's easier for some of us to break the forum habit than others.

Happy Birthday, Susan.
Susan, I read that book to my daughter many times... loved it. Happy 49th... so young! Wish I was still in my 40s, but I've actually been happier in my 50s.

I totally agree with you Newleaf09. I post on here because this is the only place I have to talk to people who are going through what I'm going through and understand the emotional side of it. Maybe some have forgotten what that feels like. It has really helped me, especially on the days when I'm just plain sick of feeling sick.
I don't have stars. I got nuthin' to say.
Oh look. They gave me a star.

Won't change anything. I'm going back to the quiet corner now.
I was just going to add (my 7th post on this thread) that it definitely without a doubt is nothing to do with oldies versus newbies.  The oldies stay to help out the newbies - if not people like willing and Bill certainly wouldn't spend so much time on their posts full of information and fact.  In addition there are oldies who have not cleared. They still need the support group. Then you have the oldlies who come on to have fellowship with the friends that they have gone through the battle with too - and nothing more. Lots of reasons and not one is the only one.

Rocker - we had a bbq here at work yesterday so I am sad to tell you I had a few bites of a cheeseburger. Really.  But does that surprise you knowing it is me?   This morning for breakfast I just made myself a double espresso latte - I figured I need it bad although I have been avoiding caffeine lately hoping that finally at last I will learn how to sleep at night.  Although a nice big glass of wine does help - with sleeping and with working  ;)

How's the new job going?
I haven't been around very long but I do read posts to gather information about my condition. If someone posts something that is beneficial to me, they receive my personal "star." Honestly, I never pay attention to stars. It appears that a lot of time and energy has been spent on this discussion and it is worthless in my book. I'll be glad to see posts that give me information, compassion and hope.
Stars are bizarre!!!!!

Sabe :)
Just got back from work,i love my new job,im back into the HVAC business.Pay is very decent and im on cloud 9.Just put in two solid weeks.The owner of the company hired me because he says i also have a cool personality and that means a lot to him he says,nice people to with for and with,ive been blessed.
Zactly.
Another reason to do away with stars.  So that people can post asking whatever questions they need to and for what support they feel is required to get through treatment without someone thinking they're only doing it for the stars.  

Haven't seen a single good thing to come out of the stars yet on this forum but have seen some definite negatives and I really wish MedHelp would remove them.  
I've got an idea. How about we give everybody one "Raging" day a week and we just overlook their screw ups on that day? I know I have already used mine.

Remember how sensitive tx makes us feel.
Diane12855:  I think I would rather a some "Brain dead" days.  Like 6 or 7 a week.

nygirl7:  I never wanted to be a star-bellied Sneetch.

Susan400:  Happy Birthday, and I love Dr. Seuss too =D
WOW!! Sounds like your all nuts.I'm looking forward to joining y'all.1 tx,did'nt work.Bad bad bad side afects.Still feelingthem a year later.Don't know about stars.Just nice to be with people who share the ups and downs of hcv.
Yes, thank you most of us are nuts. I'm kinda proud of it myself.... Welcome to the fourm guy.

can
There maybe some looney tunes around here,but its all good.
P.S.
can I have a star now?
-------------------

Congrats!!! you got it girl.............Now take care of it and keep it away from my stars, as mine are a bad influence.

cando
You gotta look at this pic,makes me feel reaaly big.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vy-canis-majoris.jpg
Forgot to mention the small dot, our sun verus  the massive Canis Major star
stars are overrated if you ask me.

I think I will sneak away with cando man on a moonless night.  Ha ha .......

I have been to other forums where stars seemed to have significance.  That is, I actually did find the posts of the the starry folk  helpful.  These are forums where I have little knowledge and I was always happy to get a starry response.  

I think this forum (both sides) has become more social than helpful (and that is not a bad thing) and the stars have little bearing other than to say that this is your life (do you have a real life?????)  Mind you, I like cyber life and consider my MH friend true friends. but still, I think you have to treat the stars with a little distance here, especially if you are new.

Don't take any of that personal, Deb

frijole
lol frijole. As one of those four-star people ... hm...or people with four stars is better put... I think I resemble that remark. :)  I can guarantee you I have a life off the forum...lol  :)  I'll resist the urge to prove it and just say I keep *plenty* busy out in the "real" world.  What stars can sometimes indicate is those of us who seem to have an opinion about most things and those who like to understand things and exchange ideas.  Sometimes I question why I'm still here 18 months after EOT and then I gave up trying to understand it.  This is not my life but it is PART of my life...at least for now.  I just don't think the stars are accurate indicators here because they are clearly based on the NUMBER of posts...therefore say so or do away with them, no inbetween to me.
The Star Bellied Sneetches!!!!  OMG!!  Absolutely my favourite Dr Suess story!!

Loved your post, thaks!

Epi :))
oooops!  I mean "thanks"
Congrats on your new job Rocker.  I felt so bad and remember how down you were when you had trouble on your previous job when you were on tx.  I'm happy for you that things are once again working out.

stacie
Thank you Yuky.
Thought I would pop on , and see what everyone is up to.   after reading this.. eh well I dunno.   I know I have no stars.    Hope everyone is doing well, or at least not having too many issues.  I am tired of issues.   I now have more issues than I had going in.  LOL But oh well at least the HepC is still clear.   Yayyyy.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend.  I don't personally like the stars, but it may be helpful for new people.  You know what I think is wierd?  Being able to choose the best answer for a post you start.  Now, since 2005 I have started maybe 5 posts, so I was really surprised to get an email from MH asking if I wanted to choose a "best answer" for my silly post of a week or so.  I guess I will have to get with the program here.
frijole
No kathy your right, i think the stars and best answers are plain silly, people come here and just post, i agree, yep your right, and things of the such just to gain stars. Now how that is helpful to new people coming here i don't know. And like you said you start a fun thread then can pick a best answerer but what does that have to do with being an expert on HCV?

If new people look at the number of stars and best answers a person has and goes by that then this place is sending the wrong message and it could be costly to the new member.

Like others have said you need to look no further then willing, a long time member who spends countless hous away from here researching things but the system makes people think that because others have more stars and best answers (me included) they must know more them him...... Give me a break theres only a few here that has the knowlege that he has.

Be well my friend,
Zach
the whole thing is just hokey kindergarten stuff..medhelp pays someone to improve the site, so they have to justify their existence somehow....so now we have "gold stars" like when we were five years old...woo woo. And you're right, the OCD people end up looking like the authorities....how's that for irony.

when they started adding the share or twitter this feature...I knew we were sunk, probably a 20 something thinking we really need that stuff......not. Oh God, how did we live when we couldn't send these answers to myspace!!  Chorkle.
90 % of the posts on this forum is drivel, there only a handfull of people still left with any real knowledge
I don't pretend to know all the answers w/regard to Hep C and TX's.  If I knew all the answers on what to do and what not to do and just how to go about getting SVR, then, I'd already have it.  When I find a post where there have not already been 10 other people responding and I think that I may have something worthwhile to add, then I post.  But, to just post to give the same answer as the 10 previous posters, seems ridiculous to me.  Susan400
I am glad to see the debates still taking place.

I would probably be in end stage failure if  I had not run across this place and learned about the protease inhibitors.  I learned most of what I know from the old timers here.

Best of luck to all still treating and a big hello to all the old timers still posting!!

I just had my yearly heptimax and still clear.
Good to see you:)
and Congrats once again !!!
Good to see you as well.
hey old man, how the heck are ya...
very good point...but without the courage you brought to it all, you'd also have been sailing away in the other sense. So it was the old timers, but it was also your own determination.

I'm so glad you got in to treat with the PI...can't wait for them to be released!!

But how many times did you treat?? It was several times as I recall wasn't it??