Hepatitis Social Community
Appears many are waiting for new drug approval

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

(Didn't see this mentioned here-maybe I missed it)
"THE BIG PICTURE: The Food and Drug Administration approved Incivek in May 2011, making it one of the first new hepatitis C drugs to reach the market in decades. Analysts expected annual sales of the pill to be in the billions of dollars. However revenue has stalled, partly because research into hepatitis C drugs has accelerated so quickly that patients are holding off on starting treatment as they wait for newer products to be approved.
Incivek is approved in combination with two standard drugs: ribavirin, which is a pill, and Interferon, which is given by injection. Several companies are studying hepatitis C regimens that don't include Interferon. Interferon has been a staple of hepatitis C therapy for years, but it can cause flu-like symptoms that last for months.
Compared to a year ago, Incivek sales dropped 39 percent. Quarterly sales peaked at $456.8 million in the fourth quarter of 2011, and then declined to $356.9 million in the first quarter of 2012, $327.7 million in the second quarter and $254.3 million in the latest quarter."
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/vertex-sinks-incivek-sales-decline-203908907.html
PS: pretty amazing the speed at which treatment has progressed in a short span of just a few years.

Also a testament to the financial risk these pharma co's take in developing new drugs and even after approval.
Things move so quick that this is now 'old' news.
Almost everyone with geno type 1 is now  doing the triple therapy.

I thought, when you referred to waiting for the new drugs, that you meant  the new all oral interferon free meds currently doing so well in clinical trials.
Those are the true wonders that everyone is waiting for, few side effects, working well for null responders and even those with advanced cirrhosis.

Do a search on hep c and  7977 and see what comes up :)
without incentives to make new drugs what do we do???? oh no ...the government again!!....we kind of killed the incentive for young folks to get married when they can co-habitate and have free babies.....seems to me we are killing the incentives to work hard in many ways.......even to become a doctor...when your super smart why not just go play the stock market?...not as much school..not much insurance needed...much more money....and do you blame them?...we really need to take a good look at our worlds future...and re - vamp ....imagine no incentives for new drugs....we just can't play by the rules we made so many years ago....your right on pro...btw...2 hours south lots of foundations going in....billy
What is a free baby?  I have never seen one.  Mine cost twice as much
and I worked my a** off.  Where do you get a free baby? : )

Incevik and Vic are the drugs that are offered right now.   Nobody really
knows when new drugs will offered to the public.  I have read that Incevik
is going to be going strong on the market into 2017.   This is going to
end up being a cost and availability issue.  Not everyone gets the most
expensive new drugs.   Something for people pending treatment to think
about.  

"I thought, when you referred to waiting for the new drugs, that you meant  the new all oral interferon free meds currently doing so well in clinical trials."

That is what I meant OH, as shown by the 39% decrease in Incivek sales.

Howdy Billy, you know what they say in our "new " US economy.

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat all day drinking beer
Sorry, sometimes I can be a bit thick headed :)

Thanks for explaining.
If it were me and I could wait, I would. Why do the triple tx if your liver is healthy and you can wait for the new orals ?
TFF......or not?? if the smartest people in the world are figuring out how to feed the people but aren't reproducing much.... and the next smartest are feeding the people reproducing but still not enough to maintain...and the all the rest being fed are breeding like bunnies...what do we have!!!!!   does that mean as long as our economies are based on a growing population theres going to be a lot of beer around??? i think oh is right...i would wait for the new oral tx if my liver was healthy enough....and would be ready to do the triple if needed........billy
Gosh working dog, how did we transition to economic theory? Demographic transition modeling on a hep thread? Oh my....;*)
sorry man.....i've been ranting a little i guess...the elections do that to me...too off topic!
"..when your super smart why not just go play the stock market?...not as much school..not much insurance needed...much more money."

If only .........

dointime