Hepatitis Social Community
Badges, "expertise", etc

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

Badges, "expertise", etc

Hi there -

As you know, we recently removed the Badges thread after it evolved into a big fight.  However, some good came out of that.  Thanks to Dsrt and a few others' suggestions regarding being "experts" in Hep C, coupled with feedback we've received from some other communities, last night we changed "expertise" to "Top Answerer", indicating the member has answered a lot of posts, not designating them as having a level of "expertise".

Thanks for your constructive feedback, and for bearing with us as we make some changes.

Emily
Hi Emily, Thank You for clarifying.  Is there any way possible to switch the recent activity with top answeres sections.  I guess I am a creature of habit??

Thank You
Denise
Well, I missed the 'fight' (and glad I did).....But I do agree with the 'expertise' change. I nearly posted on the badge thread that it could create competition here, something a medical site does not need to have going on. I myself have no issue with Deb or Mike or Bill (and so on) being 'lead' in answering post. It takes a lot of someones time here to do that, contribute. My hats off to all those that have stuck around to do so, even after tx and SVR.
(being a pop in and out ex tx-er myself, not here a lot)

Thanks Emily, LL
GSD - I'll check on that.  If we do decide to change it, it probably won't happen for a bit, since we only do those kinds of fixes at certain times.  I'll keep you posted.

LL - that's similar to what we've heard on other forums, so you aren't alone, and that's part of why it was changed.

Thanks all,
Emily

Hey it was the first time I was even an expert in anything give it back you Indian givers give it back ;)

Great now I'll have to find something like basketweaving or potholder making instead - loads of fun and so impressive why i just loved telling everyone I was a hepatitis C expert this isn't fair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Seriously I'm not going to stop posting for any of this stuff so I'm just kidding here........seems about time somebody did anyway, I still think I'm an expert anyway so you can't take that away from me    ;)

nannananaa  :)
I didn't see much of a fight, but that's open to interpretation obviously.  Regardless.  Happy to see the change in verbiage to Top Answerers - though you could say "posters" instead of "answerers" and it would be even more to the point.  Not everyone who is posting is actually answering but everyone who is posting is, well, posting.  Just saying. :)

Have to say I didn't actually expect this to change and certainly not this quickly, thought it would take a big higher up decision that would require all sorts of discussion so this is nice to see.  I'd rather see no stars at all but at least I can live with the stars being more truthful and honest.  Nicely done.  I'm impressed.

Now.....how about that Best Answer thing?  Does that REALLY need to be there?  It's way too subjective and just encourages an unhealthy atmosphere of competition that doesn't belong on a health forum.  Just...saying.  

Anyway - thank you for changing the meaning of the stars and thank you for doing away with the "Expertise" designation.  I gotta say again...I'm impressed.

Trish
"Members will see an icon following the user names of the top answerers in each community based upon how many people they have helped and the quality of their answers."

Okay...I should have read this part first.  Those stars really don't have much to do with quality.  There's no way of measuring that.  Is this going to be adjusted as well?  Can't you just say "the amount of their contributions to the community" or something like that.... then it's clearly based on quantity but still giving the pat on the back you seem to want to extend?
Oh boy - for something that, according to most members, doesn't mean much there sure is a lot of consternation.
Mike
Oh boy - for something that, according to most members, doesn't mean much there sure is a lot of consternation."

Constipation of the consternation in the constallations. It's getting to be like a joke at this point - what in the world is wrong with complimenting someone and saying thank you that way? By the way BILL has the most best answers and that seems right and fine to me .... I'm not crying about it - he DESERVES IT!  
As you know I don't think  the stars are needed, everyone
on the sidebar and those that are not,  have given so much of
themselves and endless time helping people, they give because they
want to, not because they needed a pat on the back or a star.

That being said, I have friends on the sidebar..no doubt they should be
there, however, I wonder if you asked them first? The people on the sidebar
and those who have stars are deserving, yet I would bet they would be the
last who would say , "I deserve them" at least the people I know who help
from their hearts and minds.

OK, what about your members who have no stars, how do you think
that might make them feel?

We all came together, not segregated by stars or check marks.
In my opinion, it worked fine.  All the other changes, PM's etc you implemented
were OK...I don't feel this is beneficial to anyone.  

In my opinion, members here helped me from the start was it 2006?
And, I have thanked them so many, many times.   I would have to say
I would have to give them more then stars or badges !! but, they ask nothing in
return , rather developed deep friendships that last a lifetime.

I will say no more as cando said, the stars are here to stay, I wonder
how this will work, do the people on the sidebar change once a week ?
once a month?  

I think GSD girl had a good idea, change them around?

To all  the *stars*  here, I already knew who you were, and I thank you,
to me.....we are all equal, yet need one another.

Take care all
Very nice post Elaine.

by the way I want all the stars, badges and checks I can get! "Give it to me I want Moooore" (Veruca Willy Wonka right?)

hahahahahaa yes I'm a wise guy but like I said originally they don't change a thing to anybody here who has been posting just to help others all of this time - we'll just continue to help with or without them no matter at all you are right about that fact my friend!!!!!!!!!!!!
NY...I still think I'm an expert anyway so you can't take that away from me    ;)
nannananaa  :).........
  Your too funny, silly lady ;)

MikeS...thats what I thought on the last thread.

Elaine.....I have rarely seen you 'riled' (not angry, just 'riled') nor post as long as us long winded ones do! Yep, we're all stars, in one way or another and I thank you too ;}

Trish....how about that Best Answer thing?  Does that REALLY need to be there?......
In the commotion factor of what it's created (stars, best answer) I'd have to agree that we don't need this site to be of any 'competition'. Just not the place for it.

My 2 cents, for free, LL
"Trish....how about that Best Answer thing?  Does that REALLY need to be there?......

I'm in 100% agreement, Lauri.  Commented as such in FlGuy's thread on the other side. It's all irrelevant, misleading, creates potential conflict and only feeds underlying tensions. Personally, I don't think any of this has any positive benefit for anyone actually participating in the forum, only for MedHelp's bottom line.  I understand they have to have profit to make it worth running these sites however there is NOTHING about these latest introductions that add any value to the site for the posters, only as revenue-generating measures.  That's capitalism at it's worst, to use people with an illness and manipulate them for profit.  And I'm okay with capitalism in general.
Actually, we hope that the Best Answers will increase thread quality, and that the Top Answerers program will not only recognize members who put in a lot of time and effort giving info and support, but encourage others to post as well.

Not everything is about revenue.

Please bear with us as we release new parts of these programs, and work through any kinds we may have.

We are definitely looking into have the recent activity above the stars.

Emily
This star and badge top answer system aint gonna fly,i really dont see it improving anything at all.A thorn in the side.
Idiom: Thorn in your side
Idiom Definitions for 'Thorn in your side'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A thorn in your side is someone or something that causes trouble or makes life difficult for you.
Thank you for that explanation, Rocker.
Actually im g;lad i looked it up.i thought it was a religious term describing the sharp pole sliced into Jesus`s side.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Tz0fAkXy84
Hi Emily, Could someone please explain how I got a star in the autoimmune catagory?  I honestly don't know anything and have asked a few questions on the fibro forum.

Thank You
Denise
"Actually, we hope that the Best Answers will increase thread quality, and that the Top Answerers program will not only recognize members who put in a lot of time and effort giving info and support, but encourage others to post as well."

Emily, how does it help the forum members to have people posting who are not motivated by the desire to help people by sharing what they know but by the motivation to add stars beside their name?  If they're not already posting and the only thing that makes them post is so they can get a star....how is that useful or meaningful on a health forum where people are coming for information and support?  Furthermore, if you're going on the theory that people will feel more appreciated for their efforts if you put stars beside their names ... conversely, how will other people feel who ALSO have something of value to offer who are not the type to post alot or say much until they have something to say?  The kind of person who doesn't say much but packs a big wallop when they DO say something and you know when you see that person's name, you're going to get a quality post that has very little to do with the number of stars beside their names.

The stars may not be about revenue .... but they're certainly not an indication of what MedHelp is saying they are either.   What is the point of instituting something which is supposedly for the benefit of members and participants when those same people either stridently object or don't support it but will simply put up with it?   If someone thinks this is a REALLY good idea ... they're keeping it to themselves.

So it's pretty easy to think this is about revenue when nobody feels this has a place on a health forum and has no positive application that anyone can come up with for this...only that they'll tolerate it at best because they liked being here without the stars.  

If you saw Evangelin's post in FlGuy's thread on the medical side and Elaine's post in this one .. that pretty much sums it all up.
I have an idea,whoever wants the stars by there names, vote yes or no i, for one would like to see it back to normal,is this suppose  the land of democracy and we the people should be taken care of by our freedom of speech and what we think is right.If i want to see stars ill bang my head against a brick wall,of maybe just look up into the night

"I don't need no arms around me
And I dont need no drugs to calm me.
I have seen the writing on the wall.
Don't think I need anything at all.
No! Don't think I'll need anything at all.
All in all it was all just bricks in the wall.
All in all you were all just bricks in the wall"

Floyd.
GSD - I don't know.  I know that some things are grouped - such as for STDs, chlamydia, herpes, HPV and the general STD forum are all grouped under the STD heading, so if someone is only posting in Herpes, they will see stars for STDs, not herpes.  I don't know offhand what is grouped in autoimmune, but I can find out.

Trish - I don't have all the answers for you, or for anyone.  I can only tell you what I have told you all before, and hope for the best.  

I'm sorry you all don't think it will work and/or don't like it, but I hope you give it a chance, or at least bear with us.

Emily

Emily,

You've had remarkable patience and restraint, considering some pretty hard-hitting direct comments coming your way.. not at YOU but certainly coming your way.  Thank you for your time and your responses.  I truly do appreciate your efforts.

Bearing with you and hoping for positive change.

Trish
It just doesn't matter in the big scheme of things.  I still get what we need and contribute what I want with or without the stars.  The perception of my disease is no different and nothing has or will change in my life because of the badge system.

In other words it's no big deal.

Trinity
I have to say you're right, what the heck does it matter
It doesn't.  When so many people and loved ones have lost their lives's
and/or are still fighting the battle of HCV..

Some how I lost my sight ,  the adges and stars can't bring
the bcak.

My apologies all, I'm truly sory.
Obsession is a very strange bedfellow and I have many other things to worry about in life then something this juvenile.   Personally I think the quality of the posts has risen tremendously since the system went up and that is what the goal is after all.  

Not everyone is complaining about them at all just a small group of people on this thread.  The new people don't even care and there are a LOT of new people on the forum today that we could be answering instead of rehashing this same old tired issue.
My apologies all, I'm truly sory.........
I think your sight is just fine, tho your spelling needs some work ;)

In the famous words of, well, somebody.....
"let it go"
"move on"
"beating a dead horse"

I think MH has had every input/angle possible expressed in this, let's ride it out, see how it turns out and I'm sure if it goes really badly, it'll be gone.
Remember when they changed the whole page, we were all lost and hated it....all good now.
"It just doesn't matter in the big scheme of things.  I still get what we need and contribute what I want with or without the stars.  The perception of my disease is no different and nothing has or will change in my life because of the badge system. "

While the stars wouldn't have changed my perception of my disease, neither do the bogus ads for miracle cures for Hep C that MedHelp seems to be okay with but I'd like them to disappear also. Sometimes...it's about something bigger than one's self and what only impacts the person.  If that's not your mindset, that's fine.  It does appear to be the mindset of others.  

"Obsession is a very strange bedfellow and I have many other things to worry about in life then something this juvenile.   Personally I think the quality of the posts has risen tremendously since the system went up and that is what the goal is after all.  

Not everyone is complaining about them at all just a small group of people on this thread.  The new people don't even care and there are a LOT of new people on the forum today that we could be answering instead of rehashing this same old tired issue."

Well, either the "small group of people on this thread" are mighty powerful or you're missing something here.  If you take a quick scan on ALL the forums across MedHelp, they've all been changed to "Top Answerer" and the contentious (and dangerous) "Expertise" notation has been removed.  While the squeaky wheel gets the grease, I hardly think the powers that be at MedHelp adjusted ALL their forums due to some "obsessive" views of a tiny group of people on THIS forum.  However, you're entitled to your opinion.  

The same as you are to the opinion that the quality of the posts have increased "tremendously" since the stars have come into play.  Frankly, if stars are what gets people to not only respond but respond with quality to someone's request for information and support on their Hep C journey and they're not simply moved by the desire to help where they can, stars or no stars, you and I have very different views of what constitutes "quality".

Frankly, I think we had plenty of quality before the stars and that there are enough people who have the compassion and the desire to help others going through the same thing and we don't need no stinkin' stars to do that.  And I personally would not want to get advice or support from anyone who is only doing it so that they can have a star beside their name.

Elaine...pity you've done an about-face.  I think you had it very right the first time AND the second.  The fact that many people and their loved ones are still fighting a battle with Hep C ... and the other health issues represented by the other forums .. is exactly why there was the kind of post you originally made and the kinds of reactions that saw MedHelp making a quick change of this on not only THIS forum but all their other forums.  We want the RIGHT kind of support and the RIGHT environment within which people can come to get that support.  And I think your original sentiments were in exactly the right spirit.

Certainly different strokes for different folks.  As you said, LL ... we'll see what MedHelp does with this, as it's certainly been tackled from every angle and obviously the reactions are NOT only coming from THIS forum.

Trish

Actually, you all were a big part in the decision to change it from "expertise" to Top Answerer.  There were a couple of other forums that had said something similar, but you all were probably the most vocal.  Yes, I know, surprising.  ;)

We really do listen to the feedback, and while we can't change everything, and we will never please everyone, we do try and do what we can.

Thanks for the compliments, and again, just bear with us while new releases come over the next several weeks.

Emily

Trish, not a pity to me...if I'm wrong Trish, or if I feel I possibly
made a mistake I will apologize Trish.  I felt strongly that the
badges would segregate the forum and they were silly.....maybe I was wrong?

Trinity had posted above and I replied, she is right,
The whole picture
The whole scheme of things

For that I thank Trinity, because Trish, the badge doesn't matter
after all does it? NO, it's not going to change, it is going to stay.

It does not change this disease or those that are fighting this
battle. Does it? NO, if you look at the bigger picture of life
does it really matter ? h@ll no. After losing my brother , son,
a friend last year(of my brother's) and another friend, Wed. and more
friends fighting for their lives's, does a badge matter?
I needed a slap back to reality, and it hurts.  The badges do not .
Does that make sense to you Trish? do you understand?

LL, thanks LL, can you please check my spelling before I post ;) or
give me a red check for misspleed words ? ;)

If I want to apologize, I can Trish

Wellll, everybody makes spelling errors whether they are in a hurry or hit the wrong key or whatever.  In the scheme of things does it matter?  I have read Elaine's posts and I think she knows how to spell.

There was a girl that I used to work with 20 years ago that corrected everyone's English and I could not stand it (English & Spelling go together).   My husband on the other hand cannot spell for crapola and I do proof read important emails related to business.

That is JMHO
Denise
I sense most do see the things that are bigger than ourselves and our writing/response or should I say the LACK there of is a reflection we understand the concept before us, and whether we like it or not we accept it and move on without a lot of drama.  I am NOT the voice of the MedHelp community and do NOT feel it is my place to represent others.  What MH does is their business just a what I do is my business. I
will continue to take what I need from the interaction and information presented on this forum and apply it or not.  My disease and how it effects me along with how I help others is most important.  I disagree with many things but it doesn't involve verbose replies, speculations or criticisms to make my point and unless someone is giving incorrect information about hepc or treatment I don't really care about badges, stars or revenue.  
Thanks Emily, I like the recent activity on top.  The top posters (responders or whatever it is called)  never changes, no offense to those that are there I would just rather see the activity  

Denise
Now wait just one minute!!!  I now have 4 of those stupid stars and I don't deserve any let alone 4.  I am not the most knowledgeable, I don't post studies, I don't know the technical stuff, All I have mostly ever done was talk about my experiences.  Soooo because I posted 10 times in 2 days I get a star???  com'on that is stupid!!

I know it is trivial but that is my OCD side coming out.

Denise
"Thanks Emily, I like the recent activity on top. "

Me too. Now can we try a shade of mauve, maybe?
I understand.  I simply felt you had nothing to apologize for.  Neither does anyone who wrote MedHelp behind the scenes to to protest this either.  You decide what actions you take to address the priorities in your own life, I decide the same for me.  If this issue is not important to some people, they are free to post on the threads that DO matter to them.  This clearly matters to me for all the reasons I stated and I have not changed my mind.  Everyone has the right to their passions and different things drive different people.  Good thing too so that each person can focus on the things they aer passionate about instead of everybody focusing on everything. My priorities are in exactly the right place for ME, Elaine.  There are some threads I leave to other people simply because it is not a battle I choose to engage in.  Everyone picks their battles and if their energy is better served in a different direction then they should not be criticized for picking their battles and neither should I.  So if you decide your energy is better spent somewhere else, fair enough.  Allow me the same to decide what is important to ME.  

People continuously posting how much they DON'T care about this issue because they have so much more important things to focus on becomes very specious when those comments are used as a vehicle to criticize others.  

You can apologize all you like, Elaine.  In my opinion, if I am actually entitled to have one, I saw nothing you had to be sorry for whatsoever.

Trish
I think we have covered this subject exhaustively, and exhaustingly.
Then perhaps those who don't think this is important should simply stop posting.  It would have been done already as it was left at waiting on further changes for MedHelp.  Ironic that it's the ones who continuously post about how unimportant this all is that keep this topic alive.
I have one main question,come on now,does anyone really care about who get the most stars or badges...time to let this issue slide.Med help is right in saying give it a chance.

'Out of the way, it's a busy day
I've got things on my mind.
For the want of the price of tea and a slice
The old man died"
The fault, dear Brutus is not in our stars .... :-)
Oooooh ooh ooohhh!!! There's a best answer up for grabs. Pick me! Pick me!  Ooooh ooh oohh....
I'm fairly sure we'll see a few more dissertations before they drag away the carcass.
:o)
The Silver Lining is, at 3 stars you have made it to my level. Kudos LOL
Perhaps it's our deranged minds living behind a facade of expertise.  At least it gets you three stars hey?
Any strategies on how to get more than 5 stars?
.... or am I getting too ambitious here?

Yes Trish,dont take it so seriously as its seems to me u are,who the hell rteally cares about badges and stars anyway...all i know is in=m SVR and this is what really matters in the end...right?

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”
We all help,even when we post on "other topics " in the social fourm,to be social and tell jokesis therapuetuic*(spelling) too..a good laugh is good for the soul.Take er easy .

"A foolish man tells a woman to stop talking, but a wise man tells her that her mouth is extremely beautiful when her lips are closed."
Nothing against jokes...I like 'em.  You don't see me on other threads posting over and over about how it really doesn't matter and that they should only post about what matters to ME....do you??  So why a group of people keep posting on THIS thread about why this topic doesn't matter to THEM is beyond me.  So...it doesn't matter to SOME people. So go post on other threads.  Seems pretty simple to me.  A bunch of posts from the same people over and over about why this topic doesn't matter to THEM is beginning to look like a bad Seinfeld episode.  Move on then, for pete's sake.
So what u are saying is the people with the 5 stars are not qualified to give good help/,,,BTW...they took down the " expertise" format by the names if this helps you
opps sorrY TRIN....the above question was for Trish
"So what u are saying is the people with the 5 stars are not qualified to give good help/,,,BTW...they took down the " expertise" format by the names if this helps you"

No Rocker.  I never said that those with 5 stars are not qualified to give good help.  What I have said is that the number of stars has very little to do with any qualifications to give good help.  Someone with 1 star or 3 stars or 5 stars is capable of giving good help depending on the question and support required at any given time.  If you look at the stars, they have more to do with the number of posts than what is IN the posts.  What I'm saying is stars are about the number of posts and nothing to do with quality.  Do you understand what I'm saying?

Yes...I'm pleased they got rid of the "expertise" notation beside all our names.  I felt that was the right thing to do.  We are not doctors nor experts in Hepatitis. And it was a bit ridiculous that anyone with a star from 1 to 5 was labelled as having an Expertise in whatever the forum topic was.  Very misleading.  We have experiences and knowledge to share.  Not expertise.
This topic seems to have run its course and we appreciate all of your feedback on Top Answerers.  At this time, we are CLOSING this THREAD to future posts. Please note that while the rules are a bit more relaxed here, the rules for posting in public areas still apply.

-------------- CLOSED THREAD ------------
No Additional Posts Please.