Billary Clinton Un-electable ?
Now that political discussion has been opened up here, and I guess it always was, I would like to take this opportunity to join in. With the political season upon us I want to make sure that my views, or at least, some view, is consumed by all. If you don't like this thread, please feel free to ignore it and the many others that will follow in the coming months.  

With the general election drawing near, the democrats appear to be on the road to self destruction. As James Carville said last year, 'The only people that can beat the democrats in 08 is the democrats themselvs.' No truer words have been spoken. By nominating a candidate with the highest negative voter rating of any candidate in the last 20 years, they essentially guarantee the republicans could run a monkey for president, again, and win.

But alas the republicans don't have a monkey. They do have a philanderer, a preacher, an actor, and the Manchurian Candidate, but alas, not a monkey in sight. This is bad news for the republicans although democratic voters do have a soft place in their heart for philanderers. Who would have thought 20 or 30 years ago this was a polling plus.

As usual the issues will be lost. The Iraq war has essentially fallen off the map as a major issue for voters, replaced by illegal immigration and the economy. The question is, do the democrats have anyone that can win or was Carville right ?
by the way..... I try not to go too far overboard, either in the amount of time I delegate to posting or to the amount of stomach acid I produce in generating a vitriolic reply.  : )

Now and then when putting together a reply I feel the hand of God on my shoulder.  Today however........ every time I reply to this thread there is a banner at the top of the forum that reminds me;  "HOW BIG OF A LOSER DO YOU WANT TO BE?

I'm thinking....I'm thinking.  

best,
Willy

before anyone votes for billary you might want to see this first...

http://www.zombietime.com/really_truly_hillary_gallery/

youve been warned LOL
Willy said;  "think that a good start might be to rebuild our relationship with the world community, rebuild our infrastructure which is stretched at the moment (or so I think).  Generally, its about being a better neighbor.  That means increased use of the United nations, diplomacy, conforming to past agreements such as the Geneva conventions or being a team player in other world wide concerns such as global warming (we've only just begun to admit that is possibly happening)"  I agree with this.  We need a great communicator and negoitator to get our world to accept us again. So many countries hate us, even Europe!!  Yes, we need someone that is not BUSH,  and someone more like Clinton, Bill, or Nixon who went to China.  Huckabee is not the one. He will lose possibly b/c of his evangical support.  Obama made a hell of a speech after the Iowa win.  I think he has the magic.  We will see.  Lot's to go yet.  I dont' think huckabee will make it, but Obama is bringing that magic into the election.
I respectfully submit that what we are witnessing IS what would have happened if George senior had "continued the march".  I see no end in sight.  Even people knowlegable on the situation (I don't think that I am) who want out don't know how to do it without further destabilization to the region.  I don't know what country you are posting from (and not asking) but we appear to have fewer and fewer allies in this arena.  I wonder why there are so few "right thinking" supporters of the conflict.  I wonder why so few of our own citizens continue to support the war?  I mean..... they support the troops and all but the majority of Americans want OUT.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You could be right, that we'd have seen the same thing then that we're seeing now..however, I will have to agree to disagree with you.  During the Gulf War, the U.S. was backed by many countries in the world, including a number of Arab nations and the sentiments of the world were largely with the U.S.  The same situation doesn't exist with this current Iraq conflict.  And again, many Iraqis turned on Saddam during the Gulf war and were prepared to welcome the U.S. and it's allies.  They figured they were safe to do so, that the U.S. would finish the job.  As it turns out, they were not safe and the job was not complete.  Surely the U.S. knew what would happen to those people if they left Saddam in power.  The rest of the world was safe and the Iraqi people paid the price. I say the U.S. because it was the major power, however, the world shares the results of this. There are numerous accounts of the depravity that was unleashed upon those people.  Perhaps that viewpoint sounds like vitriol to you.  It is not.  To me, it is simply stating the facts as I see them. And to me, that was a terrible horrific tragedy.  I support our Canadian troops staying Afghanistan at the moment.  To me, if we left now we would be leaving the Afghan people vulnerable at a time when they are not yet able to withstand the Taliban on their own.  We cannot, in good conscience, leave that country until the job is *finished*.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"by the way..... I try not to go too far overboard, either in the amount of time I delegate to posting or to the amount of stomach acid I produce in generating a vitriolic reply.  : )"

I am not sure what this comment of yours means ... however, it seems either I've touched a nerve with you or you think you touched a nerve with me, which you didn't. I am not anti-American in the slightest, just for the record.  That doesn't mean I agree with everything you did or do and hell, I don't agree with everything my own country does.  What I said is simply how I see it, that's all.  I forget, sometimes, that I'm talking with people that I don't know very well and who don't know me.  If I was stating such things here, I would take care who I express such opinions to and I should be more careful here perhaps.

As for allies, we're there with you in Afghanistan.  We're also in the areas that are taking the hardest hit and we have the highest casualty rate out of all the countries including the U.S.  I don't think you have to call our committment into question there.  As for Iraq, some people in our country think that's the only thing our Prime Minister at the time, Jean Chretien ever did that was noteworthy and that was keeping us out of Iraq.  Others think he did NOTHING noteworthy.  So there you go.

As for the answer to my original question, your reply was actually quite good and I would agree for the most part.  I chose to address only the part where I differ from you and that is that sometimes a military response is required.  Sometimes.  I'm not sure how diplomacy is helping the people in Sudan in the Darfur region.  While we fiddle around with diplomacy, millions die.  Tough questions I ask myself...what should the world's response be to situations such as Darfur?  What would the people of Darfur wish the rest of the world would do?  And if WE lived in Darfur, what would WE want the rest of the world to do?  Rhetorical questions.  Not asking for answers.

I appreciated your response, Willy.

Trish

I appreciated your response, Willy.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And I appreciated yours too Trish.  You write well, critically and without judgement.  It makes for good discussion.

I try to tip toe through such topics since everybody has their own opinion and in many different ways they all have some validity.  You bring up an excellent point that we can never truely know what would happen if "X" was done instead of "Y".  How different science is from politics.  There are lots of trials on Pegasys and Peg-Intron but no matter how many times a trial is done they are very careful on how they draw conclusions.  They certainly tend to couch things in likelihoods, evidence of etc.  They never seem to feel that they've learned everything and they steer away from making absolute statements.  This is not the way that politics if often discussed.  If anything it is more like the opposite; lots of emotion or attachments to ones viewpoints.  I mean, there is good reason for that too....but often it can get in the way of objective discussion.

My little joke pertained to the Jillian Micheal ads that have been flashing on the MedHelp header as of late.  My self deprecating humor was about my going overboard in a polemic and acting like a "loser".  The thing about God guiding my writing was also in jest too.  Now that I've fully explained it I'm laughing about how unfunny jokes are when explained.  : )

No nerves touched and I find that I also have some agreement with you.  I hate to keep going back to the well about Viet Nam but one of the addages about that war was that we might have "to destroy it to save it".  Indeed, we had noble aspirations in our attempt to "free" Iraq from Saddam but the Iraqi people have certainly paid a price.  The infrastructure has been destroyed, as well as their cities, their historical landmarks, their economy and their people.  I don't think the price of this was fully recognised when we went in.  I guess that I argue that rather than making the world safer our action may have even destabilized the region further as well as our own economy.  Our resources are not without limit.  IF we become "broke" and unable to serve in some capacity (in my opinion that is happening now) as world policeman the effects on world stability could also become dire.  I'm merely saying that we must have some balance.  Right now we are writing checks that our economy can't cash on a war that was "optional".  

....just my opinion and I thank you for your points and opinion.

best,
Willy
"So many countries hate us, even Europe!! "

This has been going on for a VERY long time though.  Since I was in my twenties.. and I'm now in my forties.. I've been hearing stories about my fellow Canadian citizens travelling abroad that will make sure they have Canadian flags on their backpacks or luggage or somewhere on their person so that people abroad know they're not American and they magically get treated better.  This didn't start with Bush.  I think the U.S. has long had a tenuous relationship with the rest of the world because it has a LONG history of putting it's hand into so many pies.  Seems the various U.S. leaders never paid attention to that old cliche that too many cooks spoil the soup. It has certainly gotten worse with the invasion of Afghanistan and Iraq combined with the rise of Islamic militancy and influence throughout the world, which started BEFORE these invasions but which has certainly been exacerbated by these invasions.  Aside from whether either of these were correct or not, that is simply the fallout as the radical Muslim element will stop at nothing to advance their religious agenda.
What you say is what scares me about our borders.  I have traveled extensively around the world and NEVER was it as bad as after Bush Sr. invaded Iraq.  Clinton made things a bit nicer. People loved him, but now we are back to the hatred Bush Sr. created. Not in the this country. Most here supported GulfWar, I didn't,  but it created a backlash that we havent' gotten over.  You know, it seems when we have a great negotiator in place, like Clinton, Nixon.....brainfog (why I like Hep C political discussions)  We have made so many damn enenmies, it is not funny!  I am really concerned how we are going to elect a decent president.  The money they get somehow, although there are restricions on elecion financing, doen't seem to make a whole lot of difference.  MONEY makes the differece and so far no matter how many laws we pass to restrict the candidates they get the money through loopholes.  How do we stop this???  Sickening.  It's like hiring a bad contrater to fix something. You get a bad one and you are stuck!....
  Just too brain dead to get much involved in these, but I learn a LOT reading them, and appreciate that and respect everyone’s own views, opinions and their rights to them! As R glass said  "I have found this thread (for the most part) Respectful, Educational, and Stimulating."  Plus as ladywhy said...we're doing this on drugs! Can't take it so personal. And it's not without risk to have a political discussion ANYWHERE, not just here, LOL.

I Horn, with the best of intentions in this....you have got to know by now that any political comments bring these discussions. There is no way to discuss just 'one' candidate.
  Without having to scroll up, scroll down, to post any comments.....just a couple I can muster in.

sfbay...."Bottom line, do you think this country is ready for a woman or a black?  I have my doubts that the country is ready for this…………………..
     I truly don't think we are and that was a discussion I had yesterday. NOT that either is wrong, nor that I personally am not ’ready’ and without going into the reasoning...just don't think we're 'there' yet.

R Glass...don't think your being a racist at all, just wanted to say that! You, and many,made some good points.

Sfbay said  ..."That's my point.  Replace 'Black' with ANYTHING else; Hispanic, gay, women, Native American, etc. and the effect would be similar."
And again, NOT from any racist, prejudice view, as I am neither, but replace it with 'white' and h*ll will break loose. That IS where it's still at today, which is why I think the country isn't 'ready'....every decision made will become of 'racial influence' and so on.

"socialist knitting group" ...... that was just cute :} Great way to put it and if not in that group together, you can still be in a 'pottery class' together on other threads, LOL.

As I am like jmjm in tx...home bound much.....I spend wayyyy more time on this lap top, just reading many days. I enjoy reading everyone’s views/points and even when not agreeing with, it often makes me think or re-think my own views, which no matter how you look at it, educates me, my opinions more! Being a recluse right now, watching little news (per following it :}, I’m keeping up better from these threads!

And again.....back to my simple threads :}    

Best to all

That was a lot typed for being too brain dead to get involved! Thank God for copy/paste to take the points and add my point :}

LL
"As I am like jmjm in tx...home bound much....."

Have I missed something?

What do you mean jmjm is in tx? He's been SVR for some time...i hope that you are talking about someone else? Lot's of us homebound txers to choose from... :}
y
  I mean when he did tx....isn't it him has said that he was homebound thru out tx?

Not that I am glad your homebound AT ALL .....but your right, a lot are and I don't feel like such a wimp :}

LL
That's just not a description that comes to mind when it comes to you. I think alot of us going thru this...feel we should be able to do this and should be doin' that...'cause some days we can...it's a mystery. I'll tell ya though...after being out somewhere/anywhere, I have never appreciated being home as I do now. Safe Haven surrounded by my animals. It's strange...a part of me wants company and another part 'vants' to be left alone. I forced myself to have a friend over for dinner last night...and was then glad I did and also glad when he left. Thankfully, I like my own company...otherwise I would be having even more trouble...
I try to find my gratitude....always.
y
I am and was as jmjm, homebound on tx and beyond....At least these political thread for heppers, keep me stimulated, as do many of the threads having to do with tx and post tx.  I went to dinner out tonight. Celebrating the passing of my friend. " Happy Birthday to you!" Actually bought a few clothes at Macy's, not something I do.  

LL Thanks for your input in the thread,  it does help to stimulate that mind I find.  Half the posts I write are spelled wrong, words left out, mostly illegible.  But that is why I like posting here instead of some REAL board where I would really be blown outta the place.  lol
Okay, Trish, you definately are not one of the socialist knitting group, you may be Willy! lol

I did lots of research on Bush Sr. during the gulfwar.  I hated him for going in, I thought it was ridiculous.  Glassby warned of the attack on Kuiwait and Bush Sr. approved it to Saddam, his buddy.  When he went in,  Saddam was pretty shocked to find us attacking him, afterall we did support his attacks on Iran.  As an arrogant man, Saddam was angry and rebellous when Bush, his buddy, went after him and Iraq.  I too thought it was outrageous to attack Iraq, cripple the infastructure in one of the most progressive nations in the middle east. Yes,  Saddam was NO saint, but he was OUR guy.  Iraq allowed women in universities and let them drive, wow!  He also had the most educated people and good health care for all. This was one of the best examples of an upwardly educated people in the middle east.  Not like we or anyone else been civil.  Not that I agree with what Saddam did to his disenters or the Kurds.  At least he allowed Christianity and there was no unrest.  

We went in and ruined the water supply, the schools and communication system with Bush Sr.  Yes, he didn't finish it.  What gets me is that when W went in he didn't gather the coalition as his father did to do what he did.  What a huge mistake!  Besides, why the hell we needed to go there in the first place. we were after Bin Laden, not Saddam.  Because of misinformation he took us out of Afganistan and put us into Iraq. There are only 40,000 troops in Afganistan now. None on that border with Pakistan, probably won't be either.  We went into Iraq for all the wrong reasons and now we are stuck there.  Sad, messy affair!
My brother-in-law's family..all lived in IBaghdad until very recently (Hakim was able to get his entire family out of the country, they are all refugees now...he has had to support them for years) The Iraqi people begged our country and we promised them (Bush Sr./Persian Gulf) we would get rid of Saddam. Listening to the atrocities that took place during his regime to the people of Iraq from the people of Iraq is beyond our Western imagination. He was a brutal monsterl , his son's were the same.
Hakim's father (a Dr.) and friends sunk what they had into supporting (very discretely) the ousting of Saddam.
I don't have any answers to what to do now....but I'll never forget the days after 9/11 (watchin' TV) when G.Bush spoke of entering Iraq.. another Twilight Zone moment.  What the heck does this have to do with 9/11 I thought!!. I was living in NY...and the fever pitch was high. It seemed to me...no one was getting that Iraq...Osama, Al Quieda...and the Taliban were seperate issues.
We are in up beyond our necks now....and I pray that whatever administration is elected...that they have the wisdom, diplomacy and humility to end this nightmare.
y
please excuse the spelling...
There was plenty of unrest, there was also genocide, he cared nothing for his own people...he was an absolute (deranged) dictator where no civilian was safe. Just 'cause he controlled the media and we didn't hear about the horrors...doesn't mean they were not happening.

y
Before Saddam's regime..Iraq had excellent education system, healthcare...come on...they are the oldest known civilization.
I have had the worst weekend since I started tx. I even had to pull my truck over and call someone to come get me. As far as I am concerned, they can drop a bomb on this whole damned planet an Let God Sort us Out.
If you disageed with ANYTHING publicly or privately....people just disappeared.......
Sorry R. , had to do the same @ my 5th week, Hgb had dropped so fast I guess. We think we're pretty tough until this! This is why I tell most don't plan on riding much as being on a bike pretty dangerous when feeling this bad. When they 1st lowered dose's , I had an 'ok' week, but pretty much back to the homebound now.
  Aren't you in your 4tth-5th week now ? That's when I went DOWN! Was trying to work/keep up my pace and just no way. Hgb's had dropped and IMO when it all 1st starts dropping, meds start getting in us, it hit's us hard, our body is being slammed. I wish I could say it get's better, I think you just get more used to it and give up trying to keep up your normal pace.
  A tip many here gave me......don't try to keep up that pace, it'll hurt you! And their right, whenever I did/do......I am so sick the next day or two. For now at least, get your labs done and rest more. Have you had your 4 week labs?

Feel Better......but do hold up on that bomb! ( I had said no one on tx should be president, right?)

LL
Ahh...sorry to hear about ur weekend...I'm feelin' really bad meself. I'm glad there was someone to call and that you were smart enough to pull over.

That's my hope and prayer, Let God sort us out....
........That's just not a description that comes to mind when it comes to you. ..............

That's what hurts, I wasn't a wimp before this :} !! I too like my own company, LOL and your right, d*m good thing!

sfbay....I think for the most part, most on this site understand the tx, moods, different opinions, etc.
To me, the site is not boring because of all the community chat and helps talking about much else besides hep, same knitting class or not :}

LL
Y;   Yes,  I guess what I didn't say and thought I did, (Brian did it!) Yes, Bush sr. at least had a coalition and the support of many nations.  That was the way to do this.  Saddam was a horrible dictator, but he was Bush Sr.'s dictator.  W went in with out a coalition and you and me both can't figure out WHY THE HELL WE WENT into Iraq when we were going after Bin Laden and Al Queda and the Taliban.  They weren't in Iraq then.  I still don't get it.  Meanwhile Bin Laden is gathering support from Muslims that hate what we are doing in Iraq, sitting in his mountain in Pakistan or Afganistan training more and more to come after us again.  Yep, still don't get it.  Now we seem to be in a quagmire that we can't get out of.  Even the Brittish pulled out.  

R Glass;  Sorry to hear you are so sick!!  Hope you feel much better soon.  
I "think" it was merely a 'pissing contest." G. Bush didn't like that his daddy was threatened with assasination and while this country was in a tailspin over 9/11...now was the time in his mind to get rid of the sick bas#@*^rd.
..I know it was much more than that but...
The Bush admin. walked into a nightmare, what with Katrina...9/11 and more. The Clinton admin had definately dropped the foreign ball...and I certainly would not have wanted to walk into the the oval office at that time...maybe the worst time in US history (we shall see) I can't blame Bush for everything...
oh yea...forgot about "weapons of mass destruction."...Fact is...they could still be hidden there or moved or whatever...there aint no telling. If we can't even find Osama what makes us believe with any certainty that...hidden underground somewhere in the MidEast....massive amts. of weapons are not just waiting to be used at the 'right' time for jihad.

For those who pray...nows the time...

When the Soviet Union collapsed...what was done with all the advanced technology for weaponry...bio-chemicals, and such. It was SOLD to the highest bidders!

Heck..I'm scarin' meself..gonna go lie down.
Yep,  can't blame Bush for everything, but he sure has made some stupid mistakes.  Katrina,  Borrowing on the publics money, name calling all the leaders he doesn't like, Going in with a coalition and to get revenge for Daddy. Besides the money crisis we are now in.....that's enough of a list.  He most likely will go down as the worst president.  I doubt some of the other presidents sure wouldn't have gone into Iraq, when we were after Bin Laden.  
Well...can't blame Bush for Katrina..that's 4sure....I believe that is what is called insurance-wise an "Act of Nature"

It's a tragedy what's happening...and I will not blame one man..for this or one admin...

Romans 3:10-18 (New American Standard Bible)

10as it is written,
         "(A)THERE IS NONE RIGHTEOUS, NOT EVEN ONE;
    11THERE IS NONE WHO UNDERSTANDS,
         THERE IS NONE WHO SEEKS FOR GOD;
    12ALL HAVE TURNED ASIDE, TOGETHER THEY HAVE BECOME USELESS;
         THERE IS NONE WHO DOES GOOD,
         THERE IS NOT EVEN ONE."
    13"(B)THEIR THROAT IS AN OPEN GRAVE,
         WITH THEIR TONGUES THEY KEEP DECEIVING,"
         "(C)THE POISON OF ASPS IS UNDER THEIR LIPS";
    14"(D)WHOSE MOUTH IS FULL OF CURSING AND BITTERNESS";
    15"(E)THEIR FEET ARE SWIFT TO SHED BLOOD,
    16DESTRUCTION AND MISERY ARE IN THEIR PATHS,
    17AND THE PATH OF PEACE THEY HAVE NOT KNOWN."
    18"(F)THERE IS NO FEAR OF GOD BEFORE THEIR EYES."

this was 1rst written in the book of Psalms 14:1-3.
I don't mean to offend anyone...this is what I believe...The Word of God.
If I come across as 'holier than thou', believe me when I say, I am not innocent.

"doubt some of the other presidents sure wouldn't have gone into Iraq, when we were after Bin Laden. "

Hilary Clinton would have...she supported the Iraqi war...and so did most of our 'fearless leaders"...when the political wind shifted...so did she.
I doubt other presidents would have gone into Iraq either. W had an agenda and had bad information.  Not sure about Hillary, but I still am leery about those that voted for war.  Although, I do think some of them didn't think W would have just gone in with out a lot of more studies and a coalition. Obama sure is bringing out the indies.  

I do blame Bush for Katrina, of course not all the blame, but he did nothing for so long!  Most Prez's go check out disasters such as this.  FEMA director has a lot of blame too as well as the govenor.  
For many years geo-scientists have forewarned of this happening to New Orleans...and also that it will happen again. The outer banks need to be built up...engineers are needed. Nothing is being done...

Natural disasters happen...chaos reigns...blame is useless. The question is: why build back the city....without taking the necessary precautions so avoid the same thing happening. Another no-brainer.

I remember clearly (she admits it) both Clintons rah, rahing for war w/Iraq. Most politicians were on the bandwagon....Republican & Democrat alike. Until as I said previously...the  politico wind shifted and so did they. No surprise...that's what politicians do....

Natural disasters happen...chaos reigns...blame can be spread out very thin. The question is: why build back the city....without taking the necessary precautions to avoid the same thing happening again. Another no-brainer. Of course it will cost a real fortune....that 'could' be the main reason.

I must say goodnight sfbaygirl...and I have enjoyed our discussion. Thank you.
I agree,  I am sure they were forwarned, but who was going to stop New Orleans.  yes, Natural disasters happen. I always, although liberal, don't believe that the public should pay for people building in unsafe areas.  I am in earthquake zone. If I want ins. I should get it. Can't afford it!  Taking my chances living on bedrock.....I will most likely be slammed for this.  I also live in a forest, that could go up in fire.  I have a huge hill that had a mudslide several years ago and the mud landed in my bottom neighbor. I wasn't held responsible, because it was an act of God, so I didn't have to pay.  Sorry for the neighbor I can't even see though.  

I don't remember what you are saying about rah rahhing going to war.  The bill they signed during the W admin, was not meant to go to war, only if necessary.  I still don't like them voting for it.
"did lots of research on Bush Sr. during the gulfwar.  I hated him for going in, I thought it was ridiculous. "

Didn't you say there was a coalition ? And it had Arab countries in it ? So, they agreed there was a need and a justification to take military action ? Do you know which Arab countries were in the coalition ?

Since you have already done the research I'd like to know why Bush Sr didn't go to Baghdad and take care of Saddam right then and there ? If we wanted their oil why didn't we just grab it then ?

And if leftists claims are correct then we also provided Iran with missiles during the war between Iraq and Iran.
Are you familiar with the saying "the enemy of my enemy is my friend "?
excerpted from a December 2005 address to the nation. For the complete speech go to:http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/12/20051218-2.html

"I also want to speak to those of you who did not support my decision to send troops to Iraq: I have heard your disagreement, and I know how deeply it is felt. Yet now there are only two options before our country -- victory or defeat. And the need for victory is larger than any president or political party, because the security of our people is in the balance. I don't expect you to support everything I do, but tonight I have a request: Do not give in to despair, and do not give up on this fight for freedom.

Americans can expect some things of me, as well. My most solemn responsibility is to protect our nation, and that requires me to make some tough decisions. I see the consequences of those decisions when I meet wounded servicemen and women who cannot leave their hospital beds, but summon the strength to look me in the eye and say they would do it all over again. I see the consequences when I talk to parents who miss a child so much -- but tell me he loved being a soldier, he believed in his mission, and, Mr. President, finish the job.
Wow, I can't believe I found another "I like Mike" person....  Huchabee/McCain ticket has my vote.  I am an Arizonan and have grown up with McCain.  My Christian/Catholic faith is what draws me to the candidate I would vote for.  I believe whatever passions a person has draws them to their favorite candidate.  Happy voting...
God Bless,
Rose
Bush Sr. did go to Bagdad. Saddam was in that underground bunker that no missle could pierce.  I am too brain dead to remember all the arab countries in the coalition.  Yep, although I did not like that invasion, and don't like this one. Bush Sr. did it the right way.
KATRINA    Can’t Blame Bush for this one
So not only are local resources first responders, and not only did Louisiana decline a Bush Administration offer to have the Federal Government manage the relief effort before the storm hit, but the Bush Administration was told by the Governor of Louisiana that the levees had not breached yet -- three hours after they did.
In the documents, Ms. Blanco and her advisers, as well as some outside allies, defended her decision to reject a request by the Bush administration to take control of the National Guard.
The response of another Blanco aide to this plea was similarly exasperated. "I am getting these calls too, and I have buses and water but can't get word on where and how to send," wrote Kim Hunter Reed, director of policy and planning.
Offers of help came in from around the world, including from former President Bill Clinton, President Hugo Chávez of Venezuela and Fidel Castro in Cuba. ("We cannot let this get out," Mr. Mann, the communications director, wrote about Mr. Castro's offer.)
On August 26, 2005, the National Hurricane Center predicted for the first time that Hurricane Katrina would become a Category 4 storm, and thus exceed the design limits of the New Orleans levees.On August 26 Mayor Nagin advised New Orleanians to keep a close eye on the storm and prepare for evacuation. He made various statements encouraging people to leave without officially calling for an evacuation throughout Saturday the 27th before issuing a call for voluntary evacuation that evening. He stressed the potential danger posed by Katrina by saying "This is not a test. This is the real deal." He was hesitant to order a mandatory evacuation because of concerns about the city's liability for closing hotels and other businesses. Nagin continued to announce that the city attorney was reviewing the information regarding this issue and once he had reviewed the city attorney's opinion he would make a decision whether to give the order to evacuate the city.On Sunday morning August 28, (2 days after advised by the National Hurricane Center) Katrina became a Category 4 hurricane,and Nagin declared a mandatory evacuation of New Orleans
Some newspaper editorial writers have criticized Mayor Nagin for not handling evacuation procedures properly and, in particular, for allowing hundreds of New Orleans' buses — which might have been used for evacuating poor or elderly people — to sit idle in parking lots that were part of the first sections of the city flooded. In the September 1 interview, he said driving school buses had been proposed, and that he wanted every Greyhound bus line moving to New Orleans. On a September 11 appearance on Meet the Press, Nagin said the buses sat unused because there was no one to drive them.(It doesn’t take a NASA Engeneer to Drive a Bus)

FEMA, Boy there is a piece of work. We still have hundreds of FEMA Trailers rotting in Baton Rouge, most have never been used. The trailers were only to be occupied for 18 months. Most of the elderly and sick have been taken care of. After almost 2.5 years, we still have FEMA Trailer Parks occupied by mostly Free Loaders.

The day before Katrina hit I received a call from a concerned friend in Memphis and offered his home to me. I explained that I am about 90 miles North of New Orleans and should be safe. I was safe but had no phones of electricity for 2 weeks. I also explained I felt sorry for the Sick and Elderly that are stuck their but, it is mostly looters waiting to ravage the city. I never will forget the Moron carrying the TV on his shoulders in chest deep water.
Hope you are feeling better. Did you get that anemia?  What an interesting story about Katrina.  You were there!  Geez,  what a mess!  So do you blame Nagin?  He was re elected wasn't he?  And then there is the awful Govenor.  Then the non response from the Feds Fema until it was to late.  What an awful mess all made!  

I tried to get help through FEMA during the earthquake in '89.  So much paper work it never happened.  Glad you were out of the way.  Must have been really fun with no power!!

Glad you are feeling better!  Nice post.

Linda
Been watching this thread and reading some very interesting comments. I think there was not much Bush could have done to prevent Katrina (despite the implications from the left).  Mainly, nature is the culprit. Entropy will always increase. But it seems that we need to assign blame when there is loss of life and property. This natural tendency is exploited by politicians to gain political advantage. Why turn your back on a perfectly convenient disaster to help the partisan cause! I do not imply that only the liberals are likely to exploit such events :)

R Glass - Sorry to hear about the difficulties you are having on TX (as well as others who are homebound). It makes me feel lucky indeed to be able to continue at least most of my life. I am useless on weekends, though. My doc has prescribed Provigil. I find this helps me get up and be more active, though it then also makes it difficult to sleep at night (maybe I need to lower the dose). It works on the center of the brain that controls wakefulness, so it helps with mental fatigue, but probably won't help that gasping for breath feeling when you have to climb a few stairs. Don't know if that would work for you. In any case, hold the timer on the bomb until I get the results of the PCR. I just finished 24 weeks on TX and will continue (for another 48 weeks) if I am UND. So, my dillema is this: do I want the bomb to go off if I am NOT UND and have to stop treatment, or it if I AM UND and have to do 48 more weeks of this c&%?  :)
Yes I do feel better and thanks for asking. My last Blood Work showed I am not anemic but I am border line (what ever the hell that means) and my platelets are low. I asked them what I should be doing and was told to stay away from sharp objects. I thought. It is 2008 and stay away from sharp objects is the best you can come up with.
Back to Katrina, yes Nagin was re-elected Mayor but it was one of the most fraudulent elections ever held. This will be another story for another time. The Story of The Florida Ballots can’t hold a candle to the Nagin Re-election
I Blame Blanco, Nagin, FEMA, and yes some of the blame has to go back on the shoulders of quite a few of the “So Called Stranded.” If you look at some of the Old News Clips, you will see the sick and the elderly. For the most part, you will see young and able bodied people that could have walked to safer ground if they would have left when the “Voluntary Evacuation was issued, or even drove the hundreds of busses left abandoned. Don’t forget, we are talking about New Orleans; they didn’t need the keys to the buses.
The reason why I do not fault the Bush administration is because they basically had to take over New Orleans from Blanco.
Michael Chertoff, Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security, decided to take over the federal, state, and local operations officially on August 30, 2005, citing the National Response Plan. On August 31 Gen. (Lt.) Honoree to take over the National Guard and restore Law and Order in New Orleans.
and I want to take a break from being political, God knows I need to...but if somehow we made some type of analogy...and say, we had a flood here, and there was a that many handsomely paid people here in Malibu, stranded and waiting to get out...does anybody here think that these people wouldn't have gotten a tad better response from the govt, fema, everybody involved? Do you think that they'd be left in stadiums with nothing but their own sweat to live on for days on end? I don't think this issue is so much racist, as classist....(with maybe a little racism there, who knows?) course this is all speculation and hypotheticals which mean practically nothing...but that's just my gut feeling, for whatevers that worth....
The residents of Malibu are probably better situated to help themselves. And Calif would not let them stew in their own sweat, regardless of FEMA, etc. If it was Compton, instead of Malibu, well ...... who knows? I guess that is your point.
hey, you know youre way around here huh? tomorrow I am doing my annual thing that I do each year with my friends....we're going to the snow in the mountains in Angeles Crest (about an hour drive) then we're going to Malibu for dinner...it's kind of surreal to do this...there's a lot of snow in the mountains around here right now...my doggie's gonna love it!
just wanted to say, you look very handsome in your pic, and your granddaughter is a little doll! what a cutie....very nice pic....
Glad to hear you are better. I had low platelets too. Down to 60 at one point.  They are back up to 144 as of Nov.  amazing.  

I love your take on Katrina. You are so right.  Chertoff was the biggest fraud, haven't heard about your Gov. but I believe you.  What a sham and a shame.  New Orleans is gone, that is a damn shame and it didn't have to be if we had only listened to the engineers.  Very sad.  

Yep,  people take advantage of situations like New Orleans. They could have taken the buses and didn't. I am sure even without keys, some could have hot wired those buses.  And those that are just staying on, years afterwards in FEMA trailers.....almost like welfare, huh?  Although,  I do believe some deserve welfare, most ruined it for themselves by abusing it.  

As far as Malibu,  I think New Orleans was a pretty hot spot too.  If not for the Gov. and Chertoff, perhaps if they were in charge of Malibu, it would have gone down too. Although, with the money in Malibu, I am sure they would have gotten out despite the Gov, Chertoff or anyone else!!
Please post your labs, specifically the WBC and HGB and ANC..  Reading these labs became a real passion of mine, since the Dr's don't give a damn.  Also where did you start. Was your Hgb (hemoglobin) at 16 and 4 weeks later 11?  That makes a huge difference.  Get copies of all your labs and if you are dropping as you say, get a standing order so you can get tested once a week, if needed.  Off topic,  but this stuff I do know. Politics, love to dabble in but since tx I have researched more hep stuff than politics.  You can PM me or post here, whatever. I am concerned about you.
If you can give me about a week and a half I will have my 4th week labs in and while I am there I will get copies of all of my Blood Work. My 2 week labs showed my Enzymes have returned to normal. I would be more than happy to share them and appreciate ya’ll explaining them to me because I don’t quite understand all of them. Going to bed now and hope all has a good night’s rest.
Have a good restoritive sleep.  I appreiciate your comments, although I may not disagree at times, you are respectiful and can debate with dignity.  I will be happy to look over your labs. After 47 weeks of looking at MY labs, I have become pretty good at it.  

Hugs!
Linda