Hepatitis Social Community
Can u get hep c from having sex?

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

Can u get hep c from having sex?

Can you get hep c from having sex or is that impossible?  People have been telling me different things.
No, Highly unlikely. Its only transmissable thu blood.
CS
Well --- I dunno --- if you're having vampire sex... then yeah...

But generally no.

Less than 1% or something close to that for monogamous couples.

However, other Heps can be very contagious.

But --- sex.... Generally NO... Unless you're doing something where both folks are bleeding...

*GO HAVE FUN*  But always be protected, unless you're in a monogamous sex life... Because there are OTHER diseases out there.

Meki
if you're having vampire sex - More info pls
CS
No you can't - but that's not the common perception of most people.  It's often grouped in with STD's in the news, or in gross jokes about Pamela Anderson, etc.  I know I haven't even thought about getting into any kind of intimate relationship with anyone since I found out I had it - years ago, but I'm too tired to get in to that sort of thing anyway. Every year I have to go to a hazardous waste/bloodborne pathogen inservice for my job and they say (while I slide down to the floor in embarassment) that hepatitis is gotten from IV drug use or sex.  Then I speak to the presenter afterwards and he says they meant Hepatitis B can be spread by sex.  They never change the presentation , though. On the news a couple of months ago, they were talking (I think) about providing condoms for prisoners, as a certain percentage (can't remember exactly how many) were HIV positive and 30% had HCV.  What's the implication there?  It's bad enough being looked at as a druggie, but a slutty druggie is just going too far.
I know, this one gets me ....
I got my hep c from a toilet seat
I wanna be a slutty druggy ---- is there an 800 number? LMAO!

Meki
"if you're having vampire sex - More info pls
CS "

Well CS... It happens on a cold, dark and stormy night... Once upon a time... there was a vampire.

And he got lonely.

He roamed the earth looking for his soulmate...

Alas CS... If I tell you any more, you shall forever be cursed to wearing fangs... And the epoxy just ain't like it used to be.

*G*

Meki
Yes, you can. The risk is given if you have additional deseases (HIV, skin lesion) and if you do anal sex, or during mestruation. These persons should use condoms. The risk is nearly zero in female/male couples without these conditions.
It's unlikely, but yes, you can be infected in this way.  It's more likely to be sexually transmitted with Hep B than with Hep C.  If you're concerned, either use a condom, or abstain.  Most of us who have been in a monogram. relationship have never seen transmission this way.  My husband never got it from me in this manner and I have a very resistant strain!  I personally have 3 other married friends whose partners never got infected.  I agree, having sex during menstruation or anally is at an increased risk.

Susan
Ok thanks you guys!!