Can you be fired for having Hep C
I work at an Early Head Start program with infants and toddlers and was diagnosed today with Hep C.  Can I be fired from my job?
By law no, but sadly there is to many people that have no clue about Hep-C. If I was you I would not tell anyone there as they would probably find a way to get rid of you. There would be alot of pressure from ignorant parents not wanting their little ones around you. And even the higher ups even though you pose no risk to those kids...... Your in one job that it would not be a good ideal for it to be known.

Sorry to hear abouy you being Dx, the good news is there is great odds of being cured and with what looks like even better drugs in the future things keep looking better. Wishing you the best.
I agree with Can-do-man. I would not tell anyone about your diagnosis. You are not a risk to those kids. I got pregnant, gave birth and raised two kids while having hep c. They do not have the virus and are in their 20s.

But you won't be able to convince parents and your board of that. If they wanted you out, they would find some excuse to terminate your employment.

Sorry about your diagnosis. The good news is there are a lot of people beating the virus with new drugs - and more are on the way.

rk
i also had hep c and gave birth to 2 sons.  they're 38 and 23 and they don't have the virus.  just be quiet about it at work.  best to you and good luck.  what genotype are you?  belle
I agree.  There is no reason to inform your employer that you have Hep C.  Sadly there is a stigma out there regarding Hep C.  The only time that you might need to consider informing them is if you decide to treat your Hep C and find that you have to take time off due to side effects or dr's appts and run out of personal or sick leave and have to enact FLMA or need to request accommodations for your medical condition.  Otherwise, I would suggest not sharing the info and if you do find you need to share it at some point in the future document who you tell, what you say, and why so that if anything should happen to your job you will have that documentation.
Advocate1955
I was diagnosed through blood donation in 2003.  There after, every job I had mysteriously let me go once I applied for treatment through my Job health insurance for which I was denied for "preexisting condition" anyway.  I went through three jobs managing through the probation period anxious for health care before I realized the connection. The HIPPA act did not protect my privacy.  Ultimately I had to go with a clinical trial to get treatment. Good Luck to you.  We need caring child care professionals.
Make sure you don't talk about your situation. People can be really stupid
and they might try to find a way to get rid of you. No matter how much you'd like to share KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!!!

People can be especially protective of their little ones and they might
pressure your superiors to fire you for some unexplained reason.

It's not fair but that's how it is in this angry world of "dog eat dog."

Reva
Sorry to hear, but employers health plans are just like everything else the more risk the higher the premiums someone with a serious condition can drive up the cost for the plan and the insurance companies will tell the owners of their risks it ***** but thats the way it works.
Keep it shut....
I was first diagnosed when my daughter was an infant. We lived in a small town and the news traveled rapidly. Soon our daycare provider refused to watch our child. Things have changed but there are still uninformed people out there. I would keep it to yourself.
  I agree with the others:  I would keep it to myself.