Hepatitis Social Community
Crack pipe transmission

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

Crack pipe transmission

Just a tid bit I ran across looking for other info on Hep C.
We knew this, thought I'd post a more current statement for others.

HCV Transmission via Crack Pipes

It is well-known that HCV is transmitted through sharing needles for drug injection, but a study in the January 2008 European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology added to the evidence that the virus can also be spread via non-injection drug use. B. Fischer and colleagues attempted to detect HCV RNA on pipes used by 51 street crack users, within one hour after use. Study participants provided saliva samples for HCV antibody testing and had their mouths photographed to assess the presence of oral lesions. In total, 22 participants (43%) tested HCV antibody positive, and a minority had oral sores. HCV was detected on one of the 51 pipes (2%). This pipe had a glass stem, and its owner was HCV antibody positive and had mouth sores. “HCV transmission from an infected host onto paraphernalia as a precondition of HCV host-to-host transmission via shared crack paraphernalia use seems possible,” the researchers concluded, recommending larger studies to confirm their findings.
"recommending larger studies to confirm their findings"  

Don't they have better things to do with their time?
Agree we already knew that there was like a 1% chance that this could occur because we have common sense.........why waste money confirming something we already know when they could be confirming ways to CURE the disease?

I'm just surprised at  the low amount that had HCV to tell you the truth.
Celebrities who “get away” with using cocaine have helped to glamorise and normalise the use of a Class A drug now viewed as safe and non-addictive, according to a report by MPs to be published today.

The MPs criticise judges for handing out lenient sentences to dealers, and say that the actions of police and other law enforcement agencies have failed to cut the flow of cocaine to the streets..........

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article7047539.ece
You mean you don't think it's a good thing to teach your kids to grow up like Lindsey Lohan Rocker? Shame on you she's just my idea of perfect role model right?

Boy I wish I knew who spent the money on the celebrities use cocaine study - wow how shocking!!!!!!!!!!
Cocaine used in conjunction with alcohol forms a compound called cocaethylene; this compound increases the strain on the liver and regular use of cocaine with alcohol increases the risk of liver damage.

Medical use

10 mg Desoxyn tabletsMain article: Methamphetamine (medical)
Methamphetamine is FDA approved under the trademark name Desoxyn, for the treatment of ADHD and exogenous obesity, and is prescribed off-label for the treatment of narcolepsy and treatment-resistant depression

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methamphetamine

NY...actually I thought it was high, near half, being that most crack users aren't IV users, per ONLY my exp. in ones I've known, 'handled'. The line that always kill's me....
"Oh, I'd never stick a needle in my arm".....as they are tweeking out on crack or meth.
We had a thread here couple yrs ago, debating this I think. (transmission via crack pipes) Wasn't it you that said "duh?", on transmission thru burning your mouth on a crack pipe and then the next one and so on?
(keep in mind, my memory ***** here!)

Fl Guy, yeah, I'd prefer they were out there trying to stop the crack/meth problem, versus borrowing their pipes!

Rocker.....it's been used for yrs. for those things. There is a big difference in that and street meth tho....(not that I agree with giving it to kids! )
Prescribed meth:::::
Methamphetamine (pronounced /ˌmɛθæmˈfɛtəmiːn/ listen) also known as metamfetamine  (INN), dextromethamphetamine, methylamphetamine, N-methylamphetamine, and desoxyephedrine) is a psychoactive stimulant  drug. It increases alertness and energy, and in high doses, can induce euphoria, enhance self-esteem, and increase sexual pleasure.[2][3]  Methamphetamine has high potential for abuse, activating the psychological reward system by increasing levels of dopamine, norepinephrine and serotonin  in the brain. Methamphetamine is FDA approved in the United States for the treatment of ADHD and exogenous obesity, under the trademark name Desoxyn.[4]

Crystal meth:::::::
Methamphetamine is available with a prescription for obesity, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, and narcolepsy, but crystal meth is a street drug, made in illegal labs by chemically altering over-the-counter drugs. Making crystal meth usually involves reducing ephedrine or pseudoephedrine, found in cold and allergy medicine. In the US, a typical meth lab employs something called the 'Red, White, and Blue Process', which entails hydrogenation of the hydroxyl group on the ephedrine or pseudoephedrine molecule. The red is red phosphorus, white is the ephedrine or pseudoephedrine, and blue is iodine, used to make hydroiodic acid.

And so on (goes on the explain why a lot of meth labs blow up, duh?!)

Crack, Meth, Ice.....just horrific rates of abuse in our young today. Anyone with 'kids', it's huge to watch and catch them when first 'playing' with this crap.  The success rate of a crack addict ever quitting is 5%! And of that 5% more then half do it on their own, without rehab. Stats show that rehab is of little value in those drugs.
  Guess I better not get started on this subject!  

Back to Hep C!
Oh man, I have 4 stars now! See, I'm around in spurts, wonder if I'll loose one when I'm back to too busy to be around ;)

What's with 'pick the best answer' now????
I'll make a post and then you answer it and I'll put you down for the best answer Lauri don't worry!!!!!!!   :)  (I totally expect that craziness to start happening soon).

Anyhow you said as they are tweeking out on crack or meth.

I always figured it was just a hop skip and a jump when an addict is smoking but they run out of it and then somebody comes along with a needle and says "well try this its even stronger anyway"

"Oh, I'd never stick a needle in my arm".....
I always figured that everybody who ever did drugs started off that way....like when someone smokes pot for the first time little do they think wow in ten years I'll be hooked on dope. Gateway drug and all that (see I do remember being in rehab somewhat!)  ;)

That's just how I always imagined it myself, either way it all ***** and I can't believe I wasted most of my precious 20s with any of it.  Breaks my heart today to look back now and go wow the best years and what was I doing?  Well I did up with a lovely present from it though who wouldn't start down that road knowing they'd up with hepc from it!

Anyhow Congrats 4star girl! See pretty soon you keep it up you'll pass mike, bill, rocker and I and be on the top with 20 best answer checks!  ♥
And this just In:
The Royal Commission of Inquiry, headed by the Prime Minister's Brother-In-Law's second cousin, which had been commissioned to study the mating habits of the purple ground toad has arrived at a preliminary hypothesis. The toad does not engage in mating as it is extinct. Of course further study will be required to confirm this preliminary finding. The Commission will be  applying for further government funding to continue it's research.