Dental Cleaning Instruments
Sorry for the double post tonite...but im goin to a brand new dentist tommorrow and now that i am UD,i am kinda wary of getting my teeth cleaned...i have asked to see the total procedures before i even lay in the chair...im also really wondering if the cleaning techiques they use are 100% effective...i was reading bleach cant kill the virus...what do denists use?...steam?....i am overly cautious?.....last thing i want is a chop doc reinfecting me now.
ScienceDaily (Jan. 27, 2009) — A study conducted by Université de Montréal researchers on downstream and upstream water from the Montreal wastewater treatment plant has revealed the presence of chemotherapy products and certain hypertension and cholesterol medications

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/01/090126112427.htm

During some of my soul searching as to how I could have contracted HCV I remembered that a dental school I had been using for years for teeth cleaning ect. had not the sharpest of instruments. They would bring a supposedly sterilized tray with implements to use on each patient, but because the instruments were older and not so sharp for scaling and plaque removal, many times I saw them take out a sharpening stone from a drawer and scrape along it during the teeth cleaning! Thinking back now, even though the implements were suppose to be sterilized, I am sure that sharpening stone never was! I feel sorry for all the people who must have come behind me for teeth cleanings, and am surprised this practice was even allowed to be done! Something I am going to inquire about when I return. I am sure that stone could have picked up many germs and virus's and am sure it was never sterilized, just laid in a drawer and they took it out to use when they needed to sharpen the instruments after finding out they were not sharp enough to clean your teeth.

LD
I have dreadful teeth and loads of dental work and honestly even though I'm SVR I ALWAYS remind him just for the next people that come in.  Truthfully at this point I'm more worried about them than me.

We can't live in a bubble and no matter how hard they try there will ALWAYS be the "chance" we will get reinfected SOMEHOW.  I wouldn't ask to intrude on anyones dental procedures though because even if You DO watch....you know he'll probably be much more careful than he / they ever would have been anyhow.

You just gotta have faith sometimes and pray for the best.
I think they use an autoclave, either on their own or through a service. By all means, ask them what they do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autoclave
this is really sad, but i think i want to get my teeth all pretty straight and whitened after i'm done but then i'm scared about reinfections.
Interesting read on the autoclave machines...we now even have to make sure the machine is working properly...what a planet we live on...everything is out to kill us...LOL

sometimes i think im in hell already
You want to get your teeth straight?  Notsure of your age but I had braces at 41 or 42 years of age and it was awful.  They say it is worse for adults than kids and I believe every word of it LOL.

Rocker, I often wonder about autoclaves........ I know of 3 people that ended up with hep C that all had tattoos with in the same week.  The artist stayed in my gameroom for a week and we watched them cleaning and autoclaving their equipment.  I still have to wonder..............

Denise