Hepatitis Social Community
Does Red Wine Vinegar contain alcohol ??
About This Community:

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Does Red Wine Vinegar contain alcohol ??

Vinegars do still contain some level of alcohol.  The "vinegar" taste is
actually due to acetic acid, but the chemical transformation is never fully
complete just sitting around a kitchen.  Vinegar would be much too gross to
drink in the quantity it would take to intoxicate anyone.  If you're trying
to eliminate the alcohol content in your food, cook it (this is true for
wine too).  Alcohol is very volatile -- that is, it boils off at pretty low
temperatures.  Just remember that alcohol also has a very low flash point
-- the temperature at which it can be set on fire.  So be careful if you're
using a lot!
---------
Christine Ticknor
Ph.D. Student
Yale University
New Haven, Connecticut
Related Discussions
12 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/mole00/mole00006.htm
Blank
Vinegar is an acidic liquid processed from the fermentation of ethanol in a process that yields its key ingredient, acetic acid (also called ethanoic acid). It also may come in a diluted form. The acetic acid concentration typically ranges from 4 to 8 percent by volume for table vinegar[1] (typically 5%) and higher concentrations for pickling (up to 18%)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinegar
Blank
Ordinary or table vinegars, which contain, in addition to acetic acid, small quantities of alcohol, higher acids such as tartaric and succinic, various esters, albuminous substances

http://www.1911encyclopedia.org/Vinegar
Blank
179856_tn?1333550962
You are one crazy man Rocker.........one crazy man.  :)
Blank
92903_tn?1309908311
missing from above:

"it's like pouring GASOLINE on a fire. Don't you even CARE what goes into your LIVER!?!?"

Congratulations on your restraint. It starts with little baby steps, and you've taken a giant one.
Blank
577132_tn?1314270126
Apple juice also contains naturally occurring alcohol.  

Fruit, sugar, fermentation = alcohol.
Blank
alchol and interferon dont mix....anyone on tx should avoid all alchol...even trace amounts...just my opinion
Blank
547836_tn?1302836432
i agree with Epi.  i try to avoid anything alcohol (ingestion-wise)  been to drinking parties and don't ever take a sip.  once went to an underaged party where they served massive sparkling apple cider pop, took a sip and tasted alcohol although friends promised it was non alcoholic.  so i just stopped.  personally, i don't want to take any chances.  if you don't think it's worth it, then don't do it
Blank
374652_tn?1311302831
I love vinegar....apple cider vinegar, maybe I should use more lemon.
Blank
The United States Department of Agriculture did several studies on the percent of alcohol remaining after various methods of cooking. They published an "Alcohol Burn-off Chart" showing how much alcohol remains. Very helpful if you want to totally avoid alcohol for any reason.
Blank
1707536_tn?1334977677
Oh for f uck's sake - I have to get away from the internet. I can't believe I'm now worrying about traces of alcohol in vinegar. It wasn't that long ago that I could consume a liter of vodka without a second thought. I need a drink  : þ
Blank
HaHaHaHa ROFL :D
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Hepatitis Social Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949