Hepatitis Social Community
Donor

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

Donor

I don't understand, Michael. I have Hcv from blood transfusions 35 years ago. It was like a sleeping dragon up until May of this year. I am on my 16th week of treatment. My mother needs a kidney transplant and I was the only of 5 children that was a match. I was told I couldn't donate due to my HCV (that was 1 1/2 years ago and before it started showing changes in my blood) are you saying that there may be a chance of my being able to be a donor.
Debbie  
I think you are probably making refernece to a previous thread some days ago where mikesimon said you could be an organ donor if you had hep C.  I believe this is correct.  I think the philosophy is that saving a life is worth it even if the down side is the recipient will end up with hep C.  However, I don't think that means that every organ can be donated to anybody.  It could be that the doctors have determined in your case that it would be too risky for your mom who has advanced kidney disease to then have to deal with hepatitis C which she would almost certainly end up with.  

I would like to donate my organs only to individuals with hepatitis C.  I don't think, however, that there is any program that will allow you to do that.

frijole
I would think it unllikely that you would be considered as a candidate under these circumstances. Good luck to both you and your Mom.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Which organs are you loooking to unload o' beanie-one? I could be in the market for a few things, depending on the parts and their condition. I'm guessing that pre-mortem test drives would not be looked upon favorably by the other half.