Hepatitis Social Community
Dry mouth when sleeping

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

Dry mouth when sleeping

Since new years day when i had to much to drink, but much less thereafter, i wake up during the night with avery dry mouth, it feels if my tong is swollen and sticking to the top of mouth, when i then drink water it goes away but returns during the entire night, what can i do?
Hello!
I found Mouth Moisturizing gel made by Oragel to work very nicely when I had a horrible dry mouth and "leather tongue" at night during Hep C treatment...You aren't on treatment right now, correct? If you are, you do know that ABSOLUTELY NO ALCOHOL is to be drank during it's course, correct? Anyhow, I hope this helps! ~MM
During tx I used a product called Oasis - a mouth spray that helped a lot with this.  I kept it by the bed and used it in the night when the  dry mouth was worst.  Its sold over the counter.  Good luck and keep on drinking that water.

jd
You're kidding me, right????

Your mouth is dry because your jaw muscles are in a drunken state of slackness, your jaw is hanging open as you breathe in and out all night long  (not a nice look)....the worst part is that you sometimes wake up and drink all the water that you have hopefully made for yourself before falling into your drunken stupor.  Then the more water you drink, the more you have to get up and go.....p that is.  

What can you do??? My best advice is to drink more water overall.

Eight day hangover, how much did you have to drink?  I'll bet your head was pounding and you had the jitters.  Even large quantities of fluid after over indulging might not help.  You may even feel like your starving for food but after eating a meal you feel like you want to puke.  
Could have had a little alcohol poisoning going on.  Hope by now it has passed and try be a little wiser about consuming mass quantities of alcohol next time.  You don't mention if you have hepatitis c but as info excessive alcohol consumption and hepatitis c don't mix.

Famous last words:  I'll never drink again!
Diamond_Lil
I had very dry mouth on my last TX,felt like someone took a hair blow dryer to my open mouth for an hour.I solved my problem by using a mouth gaurd dentists sell to stop
excessive teeth grinding.Leaving a partial denture plate in over nite works as well..i guess it sets of  trigger for the mouth to secret saliva.

aa
Ms. Lil— it sounds as though that might have been spoken with a touch of personal experience, eh :o)

Bill
Yes indeed Mr. Bill, yes indeed. ;o(
"Cured" in 2005 and the dry mouth is back with a vengeance.

Noticed it a couple months back and oddly enough it seems to start about 15 mins after I wake up...

Well now, actually, I been sleeping about 18 hours a day so the dry mouth is the least of my worries. YEAH. "Cured" ftw!!!