Hepatitis Social Community
Elevated AFP

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

Elevated AFP

Hi! I am a 43 year old male with Hepatitis C/ HIV and I would like to know with and elevated AFP of 27.2 and a HCG of 0.8 what are my chances of having cancer. Nevertheless there where nodules found in my last CT and I feel that the doctors are not letting me know the truth about my condition. Can someone please help me.
I had a false alarm. Two doctors said I had tumors  over 3 years ago and elevated AFP. After I went on vacation overseas I went for another biopsy and no one could find anything (both the Dr. and the ultrasound tech). So they canceled the biopsy I don't think your AFP level is very elevated. One liver specialist told me it has to be way up. I would get a second opinion if I were you from a hepatologist. Best wishes to you.
I received the results back from the biopsy I just had and it indicated that I don't have cancer nor any tumors Thank God.But what I'm beginging to realize doctors really are not concern as they seem to be when you have been diagnois with Hepetitis (hepatitis) or HIV they'll withhold information from you because they know that you're going to die anyway and no matter what else is going on with you they will be quick to say it's in relation with your condition.