Hepatitis Social Community
Fatigue and disability

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

Fatigue and disability

My insurance company does not believe hepatitis C causes disability fatigue/ Does anyone have experience with this or can help with documentation that hepatitis C can cause disability fatigue?
Are you in treatment?  If so your doctor may be able to make a good case for disability.  I have severe hemalytic anemia from the ribavarin.  My doctor made the case that the fatigue and physical limitations from the anemia are severe and disabling.  My disability carrier approved the claim.  

Good luck.

jd
Ditto on jd's comment...It may help to go to Hep Central...they have a lot of documentation about the effects of Hep c as well the effects of the treatment...If you haven't done treatment, and you expect to, it would be easier for your Dr to make a documentable case for the fatigue...Hope this helps...         ~Melinda
First of all let me say I am sorry.  I know how irritating it can be to try and "PROVE" you are fatigued to a disabiling degree.  I have both SLE and HCV, but I completely understand.  The way I proved it, was a journal, requesting a standing order of BT's to monitor my blood levels, that lasted for about 2 months...it helped my PCP be able to document a HISTORY .....it was a pain, and in the mean time I was broke, but with HCV many things are a pain, we are strong enough to overcome ( and when we aren't, we find friends who are).....

This was PRIOR to my tx's........Good Luck.......
If you are talking disabled with social security benefits that can take years...unfortunately although we are in such bad state most of the time they say we can work so we have to tough it.

Short term disability at work might be a much easier route although I don't know...I came in all 72 weeks because I couldn't risk losing my job.  To me that was crucial.  They do say they will hold "A" job you realize but not necessarily YOUR job.  I couldn't take the chance that they'd stick me in the mailroom or some cube and then three months later say "oh sorry we don't really need that position".

There are a lot of things to think about besides just "getting" it so make sure you have all of your ducks in a row.

I was approved for SSI Disability with fatigue, brain fog, muscle loss, etc. It took 1.5 years to see the first judge who did NOT approve my disability but his ruling was overturned (extremely rare). The second judge immediately approved me with the work expert saying that I could not work due to medical poisoning.

In all it took 4 years to get approved. Pure hell.

You have to keep bringing up the fact that you are on Chemo which is the only thing these people understand. Long term chemo at that!!!

good luck
This article was written by Dr. Melissa Palmer and I took it off of an older website hcvinprison.org.  There's alot of good newletters on their site, in fact there's one that was written in 2006 and it's really very informative.  It's on how and when to get disability.  Not much has changed as far as applying for SSI between 2006 and 2008 except you may get denied quicker than you used to.  Alot of the articles on the site are written for the prison population however that doesn't mean that only criminals can learn from the articles, as quite a few were written by Dr. Ben Cecil and Dr. Palmer.  Anyways, just passing on some information, good luck with your situation.  God Bless>

Fatigue Affecting People With Liver Disease
Why do patients with liver disease become fatigued and what can they do about it?
One of the most common and debilitating symptoms among individuals with liver disease is fatigue. It is universal to
all varieties of liver disease from Primary Biliary Cirrhosis to Chronic Hepatitis C. In some patients, fatigue begins
several years after the diagnosis of liver disease is made. In others, it was the primary reason for seeking medical
attention. In such individuals multiple visits are made to a variety of physicians in search of a cause of their extreme
lassitude. Some patients even seek psychiatric evaluation, as an accompanying symptom is often depression. Fatigue
may occur at any time of day but is most common in the morning about an hour after awakening. By 9 a.m. one may
already feel the exhaustion of a full workday. Others describe weakness and a lack of energy throughout the entire
day. Their usual "pep" is now gone. Even little tasks become more trying and around 4 p.m., they simply must lie
down to take a nap. The treatment of fatigue can be challenging. First, a search for all other potential causes should
be made, as some are easily treated. Thyroid disease and anemias commonly coexist with liver disease and can
worsen any existing lethargy. Nutritional deficiencies as well as disturbances in fluid balance also contribute to
exhaustion. Primary depression from causes other than liver disease lead to fatigue and may require pharmacological
control. Finally, all medications that the patient is taking must be reviewed and the unnecessary ones eliminated.
If all of the above conditions are corrected, and fatigue continues to persist, there are a few simple measures that may
be of help. A healthy, low fat, well balanced diet, cessation of smoking, alcohol intake in moderation, and a daily
exercise routine are all essential lifestyle adjustments. Any excess weight should be eliminated with a sound weight
reducing diet. The demands of a hectic job or home life may need to be modified, as an overworked, overwhelmed
person even without liver disease may suffer from fatigue. If possible, a 30-45 minute daytime nap can help to
rejuvenate the patient, and may need to be incorporated into a schedule. Finally, one must remember that the
treatment for fatigue does not come in a bottle as many medications, whether over-the-counter or prescription, may
adversely affect the liver (as well as the wallet). One must always consult with the hepatologist prior to trying any
new fad products that promise to cure fatigue.
Copyright © 2000 Melissa Palmer, MD
Permission to reprint
Thank you so much for that... I needed to see that. I have not been able to work since 2006, 3 months after I started the INF...48 wks. I am an RN and tried to work 3 different times after.. I ended up in bed all weekend and had to go to bed the minute I got home... I could not concentrate on my patients and could not feel confident about caring for the health and safety of others. Brain fog is horrible for medical professionals.
sadd
If you think you may need to be unemployed for quite awhile, personally I would see an  attorney who specializes in SSI cases.  They charge you around a third of your back pay, alot of people think backpay is alot of money, but they only go back 6 months on a normal case.  I had a very good friend who was definitely a candidate for SSI payments only she got denied like everyone else, twice, after she went to a lawyer that I referred her to, she finally got it.  When you think of all the frustration that the SSI system is gonna give you, in my opinion, you're way better off starting out with an attorney in the first place.  Good Luck