Flu Shot Question
I never had  a flu shot. I start tx soon. Do you think its a good idea to get a flu shot just before tx to cover myself against getting the flu this winter.

Thanks.
INF stimulates the immune sysyem so getting the flu would be somewhat difficult. However INF lowers WBC therefore the flu shot would be of help.
(I should have googled it before I asked not after)

Thanks all.
Even if you got the flu it would be hard to tell.  A long time ago my primary care doc explained interferon this way: you know the feeling when you come down with the flu, all achy and painy, out of sorts, muscle and bone sore? Well, that's not really the flu, it is the natural feeling that you get when your body produces interferon in response to an illness.  I found it to be true.  Therefore, you might be heading for 48 weeks of the same.  Who need a stinkin' flu shot?.  You'll be giving yourself 48.
yep....who needs the stinkin flu shot? That was my first reaction especially since I never had one.
I thought the same...I will be having INF floating thru me so that should do it.

I googled it and being INF lowers your WBC it was recommended to take the flu shot..

Besides Im a non-conformist Im going to pass on the flu shot.
I never do as Im told. lol

Thanks for the input.
Have a good nite!
Except for the hcv and the sx's from the meds, I have not been healthier over the past two years or so which covers 2 rounds of tx.  No colds, no flu, no friends, no memory, no butt muscles, no patience.  Yup, interferon, and it henchman ribavirin, cover a lot of bases.
Funny...if your body produces interferon in response to a flu...and TAKING interferon gives you the flu so to speak....seems like a chicken or the egg situation. :)  And... if you take 48 flu shots, one a week, can it counter-act the sides?  Wouldn't THAT be nice, eh?
well then I guess I have to look forward to no butt muscles and no friends.

colds, flu, and memory I dont have. I guess Im ahead of the game!
ahahhaaaa!
Be Good !
The primary doc says it's the interferon you feel, not the flu. He should know, he's a graduate of the Medical School of the University of the Remote Caribbean Island.  And, did an internship at Chucky Cheese Happy Time Pizza Place.
hahaha, makes me think he has a couple of journal articles about "cooties" at the chucky cheese.
I think you been smokin' da ganja, mon. Let me know if it helps..... ;->  
Haha, sounds like you have the same PCP I do. ;))

FlGal
I refer to the PCP as 'Doc Referral'.  He's a good guy and does what I expect, which is to refer me on and to do routine labs rx's (when not on tx).   I look at him as quarterback with a laminated wristband with the little cheat sheet inside.  I tell him a symptom and he chooses the specialist and generates the referral.  Thing is, I think he's in cahoots with the GI.  Seems more frequently the referral is to the guy who does the colon scopes.  I went in to Doc Referral once complaining of headaches.  He wrote the referral to the GI.  I said; hey doc why you referring me to a GI for headache complaint.  'Simple FLGUY', he said, 'you have your head up your a$$'.  We get along great.
I got a flu shot prior to starting tx and it was highly recommended by my liver doc
Yep, exactly.  Sometimes I don't even have to go in, I can just call for the referral.  Do these insurance companies really believe that requiring referrals cuts costs?  It doubles my cost.

FlGal
I get the flu shot on the recommendation of Dr. Zhang, Dr. Gish and my primary care doctor. Of course, I'm 65 so I'm supposed to be "at risk". Most people on this forum (except one) I think are a bit younger.
I've always gotten the flu shot coz i used to teach hundreds of kids plus i have respiratory problems.

I'm planning on getting it this year, too.

wyn
my docs said to get that, AND vaccination for Heb A and B, AND for pneumonia as well.
Got my FLUVAC and pneumonia a couple days ago and feel like ****.  Even though it was "killed"/inactive, my body wants to go after it , so if you are like me with very weakened immune system (as most are during and post TX), expect a few days feeling bad. . Plus I'm dealing with ITP as it seems the interferon messed me up real good. Listen carefully to your docs about interferon's long-term effects....it can be very serious for MANY. It;s all about risks vs benefits of course.  But get the FLUVAC for sure if on or starting TX.  G
Funny how system edited my 4-letter.  I only said the other word for "poopy". Let's see if poopy made it!  he, he.
my liver doctor recommended that i get a flu shot..Iam on week 6th now and this coming week i gotta get flu shot..they said i must get this.. Iam still doable and happy thank goodness for Jesus.. have a great day  
i had gotten the flu shot and ended up in the hospital 4 days later, coughing up a lot of blood, high fever and a huge fever blister that covered my entire upper lip and under my nose.
The Dr. said that the flu shots are about a year behind the newest flu bugs and that what I had gotten was a true influenza.
I will NEVER get another flu shot.
My doc has always recommended the flu shot, even while on treatment. (He's one of those NY docs who get quoted here a lot). I do have an added risk, since I work in a hospital setting. But that'll be his first question when I see him in a couple of weeks - "Did  you get your flu shot?"

Mark
Wouldn't it be a social responsibility to get the flu shot so you don't pass the flu onto someone that is in the high-risk sector like old-people, HIV, etc? no expert here
Gotcha beat by 2 years.  I am 67.  Wed I had flu shot & hepA.  Thurs.  Interferon.  Anything to keep risk in check.  Glad I did it and am glad you emphasized the "at risk" because sometimes i forget
and blow "at risk" things off.  Sunday is procrit day.
being on tx is like having the flu so if you get the flu how would ya know the difference? lol I would considernot getting it, it's one less stab ya gotta get???