Hepatitis Social Community
Garden Thread II

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

Garden Thread II

To see original garden thread (Garden Thread by Tippyclubb, Apr 23, 2009 05:32PM) please search.  If someone else knows how to make a live link, please do.

It's coming onto fruit season, believe it or not, in the Deep South.  I'll start picking goumis this weekend.  It's a cousin of russian olive, that makes a red berry which can be turned into exquisite jelly (do I have the energy?  Hope so).  A delicate flavor and gorgeous gold color.  Then I'll move to figs (wonderful fig tarts; a sweet short crust, open face and brushed with melted jelly), then concord grapes (terrific grape juice, better than Welch's).  I gave up on the strawberries; too many slug bites.  I watch everything out the window and the day the first bird lands on the plant, I dash out and pick everything.   MMMMM; can't wait.
Tags: Gardening
Works fine, Bill. Thanks.  Lots of good garden posts at GT I at the above link.  New one started to avoid paging down till your hand falls off!   Spring busting out all over!

Thank You!!!  Couple a questions for you.  Is your olive tree anything like the good ole green or black olives?  I guess I mean the taste but then I guess they are cured hence the taste?  Second, what is your opinion on planting bulbs (tulip) now instead of waiting till fall?  If I wait till fall I forget where the ones are already coming up.
Tomorrow is the big day going to Framers Market to pick out my flowers.  Although, I am a tad distressed because hubby dug up the garden and made it 20 inches larger.  Its huge now, and not sure what the hell to put there and organize it properly.  Since the Riba has been increase I find myself in a fog, indecisive, and almost cussed a few people out in the Nursery for a serious thing like being in my way.  Lol !  They better be careful as I feel the rage building.  Maybe it wasn't the wisest decision to build a larger garden while on tx.  A once simple thing seems so overwhelming.  I guess being fairly new to this doesn't help either.  

Anyway looking for Dalhias today but all they had was dwarf ones.  Know anything about those and how tall & large do they get.  The tag had no info about that.  Been looking all over for Dahlias -no luck yet.  

If I buy the Dahlia tubers and plant them tomorrow how long will it take for them to grow large and flower?

By the way I made a few of my own flower containers -pots this year.  I was very proud of myself.

Dahlias are amazingly diverse.  Some of the dwarf dahlias (ie. Figaro) grow only 8-10 inches tall, with flowers usually just under 2" in diameter.  Most often the nursery flats have dwarf or mid-size dahlias, which may grow to about 18" in height, but the flowers don't get much bigger than 3" or so.  

If you're looking to buy ready-to-plant dinner-plate dahlias (those are the ones that grow 4-5 feet tall and have flowers - you guessed it -- the size of dinner plates), they'll cost you a lot more than buying just the bulb.  The up side of buying the bulb (besides cost) is that you'll have a lot more variety to choose from, rather than just whatever the nurserymen decided to plant.  The down side is the tubers will take 6-8 weeks flower ... so if you were to plant the bulbs now, you'd have flowers around the 4th of July.  

The Park Seed Company is one of my favorite places to order bulbs.  You can go to their website to view nice pictures and very detailed descriptions of a wide variety of dahlias of all sizes and colors.
~eureka
PS,  If you buy/plant the big dinner plates dahlias, buy the necessary stakes and put them in as soon as you plant them -- the flowerheads can be so big that they break the stems when they bloom if they are without support.

I've had those dinner plants before, and they were heavily staked.This is what I am looking for now.  I did find them once already potted $50 for two.  If tubers takes up to 2 months --summer season is very short 3 months best.  The crisp air starts early September.  I'll just keep searching.

I've seen the Park & Seed catalogs but my favorite is Wayside.  All those magazines have such beautiful flowers.
I'm putting in an herb garden (as soon as I change out of my red shoes) and would appreciate any tips.  I'm in Connecticut - zone 6.

jd
You know that tall silvery shrub they use for screening in landscapes?  We had it in Colorado, anyway.  That's russian olive.  You can see in my photo page where they got the name.  Fruits do look like red olives.  I've heard of people growing real olives in S. LA but it's too wet here for such a desert-like plant.  Don't want my heart broken; I've got plenty of other things to kill!  On my 4th species of lilac.  It's days are numbered.

I always move bulbs as soon as the foliage burns down. You'll notice that they draw the roots back up, too, at that point so they'll never know you moved them. If you can't get to it, leave a marker.  I work with a volunteer group that does a whale of a fall heirloom bulb sale and right now we're pestering everyone to mark their treasures for fall sale digging.
Most herbs are easy to grow and require 6 or hours of sun.  Keep mint in a container or it will take over a garden.  Most herb will need to be pinched back at the first sign of flowering.  If you let them flower it changes the taste--especially basil.  I pinch Basil back all summer to get rid of the older leaves, as the young tender ones are sweeter and more flavor.  Older leaves tend to be bitter.  I do pinch back the other herbs all summer too, but not as often as the basil.

Rosemary has always been a problem for me.  Pretty much stays the same size it is when bought.  I may be pinching back in the wrong place. Any Rosemary fans with advice.
Rosemary is one of the mediterranean herbs.  Think alkaline, dry, warm, well-drained.  Also thyme and french tarragon (love it but too wet here for it not to fungus out). My southern advice probably won't help for MI.  People who have problems sometimes do better keeping it in the pot to guarantee the drainage.  Here it gets shrub sized and we don't pinch, just harvest as we go.  I use it to make the borders on French parterre gardens instead of boxwoods.  Trim it with an electric trimmer to keep it small.  On treatment I have worked with it and got so sick of the smell I thought I'd throw up.  It may be off of my list until I'm off meds.
Tippy, I don't pinch my rosemary but I never saw it flower.  

Newleaf, I saw your olive and never saw it used in landscaping around here.  I'll have to ask my friend at the greenhouse.  I have a lilac and don't ask what species LOL, that spent 3 years in a container, no extra water, sub zero winters, and one of those summers pushed over the hill by hubby.  I rescued it last year and planted it, if it flowers I'll snap a pic.  

JD, I would guess Conn would be a lot  like Pa, no?

Denise, Yes, I think its pretty close to PA, zone wise.  I have a nice raised bed all ready to go, so I get good drainage and I think enough sun.  I wonder if I'm ambitious enough to do the Martha Stewart - style knot garden with the perennials.  That would be fun.  If so, I'll post some pics when it gets going.
No my rosemary doesn't flower either.  Lol !  I should have clarified that for jd.   Hmmm, maybe like newleaf  wrote, they like dry.  I water mine often when its hot , maybe that's the problem.  Will keep trying and hope to make some rosemary potatoes this summer.
Oh my gosh, rosemary potatoes, RM chicken yum yum, RM & garlic bread.

JD, I just planted cilantro, bay leaves (those buggars are expensive already dried) dwarf purple-ish basil, chives and regular basil.

Hubby plowed up about a half acre for a garden.  he THINKS his adult kids are gonna help NOT
I bought 9 broccoli, 9 cabbage, and something else.  I have watermellon, pumpkins, zukes, corn, sprouting & my dad has really nice peppers & tomatoes for me.  We can't plant many veggies outside yet.
I need to get carrot seeds, potatoes, onion sets and more but the "garden" needs plowed again
Just this week I bought fresh fish--head and all, had them gut it .  Stuffed it with Rosemary sprigs, lemon , garlic, purple onion.  I have never cooked fish with rosemary and it was out of this world delicious.  
I'm laughing while I am typing but here goes...........I choked on a fish bone when I was a little kid and haven't eaten fresh fish since.  I laugh everyting that fishbone story comes up.  

I have broiled or baked fish with onion cooked on top with the lemon or OJ & garlic, gonna have to try rosemary.

Newleaf,  When threads get long click on the last one that you read and it will go there instead of scrolling.
Wow, here in northeastern California, rosemary is used for landscaping… it runs wild all over the place. It is dry here, though… maybe that’s the difference. It’s often used as a groundcover for drought resistant plantings.
I found my Dahlia's not dinner plate, but these will do.  Yeahhhhhh!!!.  No Roses yet--the ones around are in bad shape, or way too expensive.  Hopefully, they come in soon.

Was downtown at 8:30 for the Eastern Market flowers show.  Traffic all backed up, and hundreds and hundreds of people.  What a mess and became so aggravated with all those people, I left with nothing.  Has to be the tx cause normally it doesn't bother me.  Ended up going somewhere else ( more expensive though ) and bought some great stuff.  I am exhausted now.  Lol.

Here's a question about Foxglove and Delphinium.  Will they be okay in a spot with morning sun only?  Around noon turns to shade.

What about Golden Chalis full sun or part sun.

I know they have that info on line but its not always correct.  Besides it more fun yacking with you ladies.
I'm going to go out looking for those dinner plates later today, if I have to crawl there. They sound fantastic and I'd like to put them in the back so I can look through my front entrance through the garden doors into the rear of the property. Is it okay to put them in absolute full sun, the sunniest spot we have?  The little ones only suggest sun to half-sun.

Good cool overcast day and I've been transplanting like crazy and ready to die of exhaustion. I got to the point where I threw things in wherever there was room and disregarded the light requirements.  Put in some small dahlias and genera daisies, for the first time thanks to you guys and thinking they'd be perfect for the July wedding. Found some columbine at Costco and threw them in with those I germinated from seed. I was tired and deluded enough to think I already saw a hummingbird at the feeder.

Tippy, I'm as cranky as h-ell and am post-tx. I thought I saw my neighbor about to approach me and I muttered to my husband that if she comes over again for one of her long chats, I'm going to tell her off! Luckily for her, she just waved.

Don't know about foxglove and killed off my delphinium years and years ago. I'm a throw- it-in gardener, so it's really amazing how pretty a property we have. I give the credit to Mother Nature, not me.
...gerbera daisies, I meant, and big, showy ones with spectacular color.
port heres a copy and paste link  about Dahlias      www.dahlia.com/ - 11k   click on growing tips.  Dahlias need a least 6 hours of sun but prefer more.  Mine get full sun and do well.  I have the little ones every year and they need full sun also.  Although, they do tolerate some shade, but will not produce as many flowers.

Hopefully, you'll be feeling better the closer the wedding gets.
I'd kill to get my hands on some fresh figs. The farmer's markets have had an abundance of kirby cucumbers and key limes. I made 18 jars of cuke, lime and thai chili pepper jam this week. Brilliantly hot. Put up 6 jars of lemon ginger jelly too.

I wish I had the talent to grow things outside. My micro greens are doing beautifully though!

~grin
I'm squealing.....we have one!!!!!!.........our first hummingbird arrived!

I'm watching it now and wanted you to be the first to know.

Gosh, Tippy, that nectar has been sitting there untouched for a month in cool weather.

Do I have to change it so it's safe to drink or is it okay for a little while?

Your idea worked - I'm sure it's the big red ribbon that attracted it way up here on the second floor balcony.

Now how do I keep that stuff yummy, yummy?
My digitalis (foxgloves) do fine with partial shade.  Delphiniums like a bit more sun and I have never had much luck growing them from seed.  The dwarf ones are easiest - less staking required.

My brother learned the hard way about hanging his hummingbird feeder from the eaves of his porch.  He gets tons of hummingbirds, but the black bears come right up onto his porch to drink the nectar!
Oh my --how exciting seeing the first hummingbird.  I think the nectar should be okay in cool weather.  Check to see if slime or mold is growing, if so change.  I know when it gets warmer you must change liquid, at least every 3 days.  Here's a recipe for making your own nectar.  Easy and cheaper.

1/4 cup sugar
1 cup of water
Bring water to boil, add sugar
When sugar dissolves -take off heat--let cool

Never add anything else to mixture, like dyes or honey.  Thats why you use the red ribbon so you don't have any dyes in the nectar.  If you want to make a larger batch use a 1:4 ratio.  The pros say stronger solutions could harm the little birds liver.  

You could always sit under the feeder with a red hat--imagine all the action you could get.  Lol !
I saw my first 2 hummers today fighting for the feeder.  Just put it up myesterday too.  Those little birds are the best free entertainment around.  They dive bomb so much they need little teeny fighter helmets on, haha,

Foxglove is beautiful but if you have pets be careful as they are deadly.
Love those hummers - they're really something.

Fighter helmets, oh yeah. With under-the-'chin' straps...in red.
About my tulpi bulbs.  Wgat I don't know is if I plant more now instead of the fall.  That way I can add more to the areas where there are already tulips and daffodils

Bill:  In the warm climates you all grow things in abundance that we can't.  I have never seen rosemary used in a large scape landscape setting here
If you can get your hands on tulips that have just come out of the ground plant now.  If they were leftover from last fall, they are no good any more, burned all their reserves staying alive out of the ground.  Toss them.  Don't plant.

Hummingbird trick:  If you have a lot of the territorial guys like ruby throats, they will wear their silly selves out trying to keep everyone else away from feeder.  Hang several feeders in different places and it will only take them a day or 2 to realize they can't protect them all and give up, so everybody will get to eat.

I'd love to see bears but not on my porch!
Which one is better for flower garden mulch----peat moss, double shredded cedar, or regular cedar chips and why do you prefer it.  Garden going in today.  Yeahhhh!!!!
double shredded breaks down faster and turns into black gold, that is what I use.  Maybe some peat moss mixed in there?  Have fun!!!!
Did most of the transplanting over the weekend and now in recovery!

It was great - even the aches and pains seemed worth it then and now.

Things are holding up, except for a new aster I put in, which did an unexpectedly extreme wilt.

I used to mulch a lot and LOVED it but now I'm afraid to do it because I never remember what's coming up where. I used the cedar, too, and it was great.

Tippy, good luck on your gardening day today. I found it tough bending over but was very motivated. Hope the weather is cool and overcast. We were very lucky with the rain.

Oh, I was surprisingly bossy and clear-headed during the transplanting. Hubby was glad to see it but felt like he had no say!

One section of the garden is done--don't laugh because you ladies are pros. Lots to learn here.  I think I put too much in, and maybe too close together.  We will see.  Haven't found my yellow double knock out roses yet -but they going in there too.  Next will be the gazebo flowers, and then the fence area.  So much to do.

Couldn't have done it without hubby and yes portann he had no say where anything went.  I did let him pick out the orange pansy and the blue Delphinium, so hes happy.

I posted pictures in the photos.  Take a look.  I am very proud of myself.  Lol !
GSD: For flower gardens my favorite mulch is shredded cypress (but it's pretty hard to find these days), with shredded cedar a close second.  I like to mulch w/ peat moss around the flowering shrubs (azaleas, rhodos, roses, etc.), but not the in flower garden, found it made the soil more acidic and wicked moisture rather than retain it.

Tippy:  nice plantings!
I never thought of that, to use peat moss around the shrubs.

My early rhodo had a glorious showing this year but it seems spent faster than usual. Is there some way to sustain flowering? I fertilize but can over-fertilizing result in a quicker show?

This is the first year in a decade I pinched off the extra buds on my peonies. They're going to be big melons. The garden thread motivated me! I hope everyone keeps those photos coming.
I know over fertilizing Rhodes can kill them---yes, I killed two of them like that--burnt them up.
forgot to spray soapy water on young bean plants .gypsy moths cut em down !   putting my cukes in the screen room also .   terrible year for moths in northeast !!  
winner, thanks for the heads up.  We are planting this weekend, a bigger garden than I ever imagined  planting.  Hope it doesn't kill me LOL.  I was gonna buy Preen for weed control but my friend at the greenhouse sold me a 20 lb bag of corn gluten which is what the garden Preen is.  More for the money, lots more.  Hubby's adult kids are are supposed to help, we'll see how much help I get.  

Girls, I got 2 new stepables today, I will get some pics soon.  I also got a bunch of flowers for my pots on the patio.  I'll get some pics of them aftre they grow & fill in.

Denise
Everybody in their garden this holiday weekend? I have nearly gotten to the end of the pot graveyard that grows from my garage door.  Must have been a dozen pots.  Can't guarantee I will muster the enthusiasm to water them in the heat this summer, but at least they'll die in the ground instead of the darn pots.  Took all my energy to haul those 5-gallon shrubs to the back garden and I immediately talked myself out of the extensive soil prep I usually do.

Well they were easy things (if you water them) like azaleas & clethra and one lilac.  Lilacs this far south are like sheep here; just an animal looking for a place to die.  Let the sacrifice begin.  Only a swamp spider lily and 3 easter lillies left to go!  And I swore I would not buy a single plant this year!
Yup, I'm zonked and wondering if I can drag myself out there today to water the poor babies. I still have to mulch and plant my new dinner plates. I could only find two different tubers (couldn't believe how gorgeous) and will pot them. I wanted them for the wedding in July but I'm about two months too late for that, I think.

I swore I'd stop shopping weeks ago but each time I go to a store, I walk out with yet another beauty I 'must' have.

And to think I believe a garden bed of less is more! By summer's end, it will be a jungle here. And I've lost my ruthlessness to thin.

less is more  BUT  more is twice as beautiful  

That's my one and only profound statement for the week.  Lol !
It's so great to hear what everyone's planting! It's finally a beautiful day in New England, but I'm embarrased to say I've still yet to finish my weeding, way behind all you folks! (Between paying for meds, helping the treating husband, and nursing new kittens and a newly developing knee/cartilage issue, haven't done much for the garden this year :| yet...)  Do have a new rose to go in though :).

Portann:  if you don't have the energy to get out there and water everyday, if your plants are somewhere that you can leave a hose out, you can get one of those timing devices that turns your hose on and off at designated intervals (couple that with a well placed sprinkler or two) -- sort of a poor mans's automatic sprinkler system.

Happy Memorial Day to all. ~eureka
Husband went compulsively to all of the Memorial Day sales and brought home a wonderful present!  A dump cart.  Not too big but has four inflated wheels and can be released to dump.  Of course it's made in China and the nuts will require a pneumatic drill to get them on, but he loves to 'force' stuff anyway.  He's not allowed to touch plastic fittings but excessive muscle will be required for this.  I'll post a picture once I get it assambled.  Looks like I may get that 4 inches of live oak leaves off the sidewalk after all before a neighbor (or the mailman) throws a rock through my window.
I got the Black Eyed Susan for my clay area.  Do I have to prepared the clay with sand and all that digging?  I just want to dig a hole and be done with it.

The card says part shade but on line they say full sun.  The clay area gets late afternoon sun only ( 3-9 )  I wonder if they be okay there.  

One more question--what is the best spray for bugs in the flower garden.  Something is really eating up my Hydrangea leaves.  I have some spray just wondering what you girls use.  
I always  (unless I'm on antvirals!) add organic matter for anything I plant.  But..black-eyed susans and cone flowers are American natives that occur all over the country.  They should be able to hack it in straight clay.

Because of my liver, I am phobic about spraying insecticides, but the most effective one for anything that chomps a bite (caterpillars, grasshoppers, beetles) is carbaryl (also called liquid Sevin).  Much less toxic to mammals and more effective on chompers.

No shiney slug trails on the leaves?  An insecticide won't do a thing to them.
Whats a shiney slug trail look like?  I heard stale beer in a bowl will attrack slugs and they die in the beer.  I didn't try it yet but think I will this year for the Dahlias, as they love those plants.
You all must take a look at Frank's 566 picture of the hummingbirds--Fantastic
No kidding, Franke's hummingbird photo is amazing.

I have to run to buy another feeder right now.

I have totally neglected coneflowers growing in absolute clay in the corner of the yard. Haven't meddled for years and they keep coming back.

Can't speak for black-eyed Susans, except hubby has long wanted them.

I can't give advice about bugs. I've tried so many approaches over the years, I can't remember.

I was surprised when a local, well-known horticulturist who was 'organic' before the term was coined told me to use Raid for the bugs on my Asian lilies. It does work but I have no idea about its toxicity. I tried the liquid dish detergent diluted in water as a spray and the results were so-so. Also tried the cayenne pepper spray, so-so. Hand-picking, great but who can do that anymore?

A slug trail looks like dried snot on a toddler's jacket.  Kind of shiney and definitely in a continuous trail, so you'd see it across the leaf.  Terribly common on hostas.

Not stale beer, fresh beer.  I buy big screw-cap bottles of the cheap stuff at a convenience store.  When it's fresh, the yeasty smell really draws them in.  Sink a saucer into the ground and they'll climb into it at night, where the alcohol dehydrates them (like salt).  Go out every morning and collect and clean the saucer.  Replace it every night until you stop finding them dead in the saucer in the morning.  I've caught 100's in a week.  Really works, a little gross, totally organic.
diatomaceous (spelling?) earth works on lots of things.  It is naturally crushed seashells and cuts their little bodies and dries them out.  I use stuff called Fruit Tree spray on EVERYTHING.  Not organic and I don't care LOL.  Sevin dust on plants, flowers or veggies.  The old timers used sevin dust on their dogs and in the doghouses and their dogs lived long lives back then.

dried snot LOL

Denise
I will put some out tomorrow.  The trick will be to get the beer into the saucer vs my mouth.  Lol !
put out some epsom salts.  not only is it good for your plants but the slugs can't handle it-they melt!  Go out late night or early morning before the sun rises and check out your plants with a flashlight to find what is feeding on them besides slugs and deal with them personally.  Pesticides are not environmentally friendly-end up in our water table via storm drains, creeks, rivers, ocean, aquifers etc.  franke
Hey Franke, nice to "see" a guy in the thread LOL.  Welcome

Denise
thanks, I don't have problems with garden topics.  I love gardening, nature...find it calming infact.  I think thats a plus.  Thanks for the welcome.  Franke566
ok guys, so i've learned to not plant diff species of lavenders in close proximity, it's like survival of the fittest, the other ones just die :(
Think of where they occur in nature:  English is mild temps (not too hot, not too cold), alkaline and rainy.  French grows in big fields.  It's a good bit drier in southern France, where the fields are.  Spanish grows in mediterranean conditions.  Hot, alkaline and low moisture.

I live in the deep south and can only grow the spanish (have killed the others MANY times).  Try a high, sandy, well drained bed, with lime added if your soil is known to be acidic.
I'm back in the garden again!!! I turned the compost pile (don't think I've turned it once since it was built 2 mos. ago) and was very surprised to see that half of the pile had finished without me turning or watering and finished very quickly too.  I must have put the recipe together just right.  I guess when you are semi-brain dead your instinct takes over.  We have had steady rain so that made the difference.  Made of oak leaves and weeds, it really went fast!  I feel like I deserve it, I huffed and puffed and gasped so much gathering the materials.  I got a barrow load off the bottom.  See my new toy dump wagon on my photo page.  Don't know how people insert photos into their posts.  If I keep feeling a tiny bit better every day (and don't overdo today) I will take the bagging lawn mower and build and greatly enlarge the pile tomorrow. My husband came in this a.m. and said 'don't you dare try the lawn mower without a mask'.  Yes sir.  He knows that I am hard to hold down if the energy is there.  God, it's wonderful to need to be held down a little.

I've been off the riba and boceprevir for 8 days.  there's a bit of withdrawal there.  I've had awful night sweats and finally figured out that it was fever breaking every night.  I took Tylenol at bedtime last night and no sweats.  Duh!  My peg is just beginning to go down, since Friday 3 days ago was the first missed shot.   Painful heels seem to be improving, have hardly noticed them yesterday and today.  I'll be excited to see my bloodwork at the 4 week post.  Happy gardening!