Garden Thread
Lets make this a garden post and all questions, tips , advice will be here.

I have a patch of clay, everything dies there.  I have done everything-- mixing sand, compost, manure, dirt in the clay.  Now I am just fed up with this patch.  What can I put there that grows in clay other than Coneflowers?  Have a bunch of those already.  Anyone with experience with clay?
No thats not it, although it is stunning.  Mandevilla are a lot larger -well the one I have is.

I put 2 roses bushes in clay and both died.  Last summer I put Gladiolus in the clay and they did well, but I really want a large perennial there.

How are your columbine seeds doing, any new growth?
I so wanted to tell you but given your news today, I didn't feel right about jumping up and down about the first seedling to pop up THIS MORNING. I never expected the flat to do anything at all 'cause it's been about three weeks.

It sure made me happy and reminded me that it takes patience in all things. Everything else is growing too fast, except for the columbine.

That photo was from google Alice du Pont Mandevilla images, so it's another reminder to not believe everything you find on the Internet.

Much love,
Port
Tippy:  mandevillas are one of my favorite vines... unfortunately, it dies off with frost in our part of the country, but it's so stunning, it's worth planting every year.  I've never tried to plant any of my mandevillas in the shade (they are rather costly, so I didn't want to risk suboptimal locations), but I know one fella who grows them on his porch, which only gets about sun from 2pm onward, and they do pretty well.  Don't know how they would do in clay soil, though.

Portann:  congratulations on the sprout!  Some plants have seed germination times that really test your patience, but that's when it's really exciting! :)  And that pic on your link is actually petunias, a new variety called "wave" -- easy to get at most nurseries these days. Mandevillas are climbing vines, sometimes called "chilean jasmine":

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/2941/

Columbines take patience, but they are well worth it.  Don't give up, they have a looooong germination time.
Yeahhh for your seedling--you did it thanks to newleaf.  Don't every worry about jumping in when I have bad news.  I need the distraction as one can only think about this so much until the minds can't absorb anymore until it gets a rest.

That link did not look like it but the picture was small and hard to see the size and shape of flower and leaves.  I posted some pictures of it in my photos.  Take a look.

To: eureka

Yes they did tell me it would die in frost but it was too pretty to pass up.  I better play it safe and plant in sun and no clay.  I'd hate to lose this one and I do have a great spot for it.
Love this thread and hope to have time to read all posts some day.

But about the clay, I grow azaleas, oak leaf hydrangeas, iris, lillies, a few hardy roses have survived, camelias, and any other native ga plants.  My plants and I love home made compost.

Began a woodland garden last year.  Editing the woods and seeing what comes up naturally.  Will add more oak leafs and azaleas over time.  My native dogwoods exploded this year with more light from removing some gums and pines.  Have lots of new baby dogwoods, two small crabapples and magnolia.  Few trylliums.  All provided by mother nature and her birds.  Sorry to say I eradicated the wild blackberries b4 I adopted my new philosophy.

Not being able to spend all day outside in the dirt is the worst sx...so far.

If I put something in the ground outside, it is a death sentence. It's even sadder that I live in Florida, where plants simply have to look at soil and they become part of the magnificent lush landscape. So I've taken up sprouting and micro-greens. If it can live on a kitchen counter or a sunny window and have a life expectancy of 10 days or less, then my evil black thumbs can not kill it.

I did buy some sunflower seeds to plant outside yesterday. I can't buy enough raw seeds to sprout or grow into sunny greens, so silly me figured I would create my own supply. We'll see how that nightmare turns out.
Florida is rough.  Soil in most parts is so sandy that there's no way to slow down water rushing through and absolutely no nutrition in sand.  Is there a sugar mill or something nearby so you get some composted baggass to dig in?  Cotton Gin trash is good, too.  Organic matter won't take long to decompose back down to sand again, but if you add a pickup load to your growing area every year, you may be able to pull it off.

I nearly killed my self in the garden last Saturday.  Felt so whooped for 3 days that I didn't know if my blood was crashing or I was just tired out from long inactivity.  Turns out I WAS crashed.  Platelets down to 36,000.

Well, hgb feels okay.  If it was low I wouldn't have been able to work so hard; not enough breath in that case.  This weekend,even with low platelets, I just had to work outside.  Careful not to wear sandals, to wear gloves and stay clear of stickery stuff.  Just keep telling myself 'don't get hurt, fool'.

I am so far south that if you can't get everything into the ground by May, don't even bother; you will spend your whole summer just watering it for survival.  I never meant to buy anything new this year because of TX.  But... people kept giving me stuff, plant sales had outrageous things like Syke's Dwarf oakleaf hydrangea, sweet shrub (fragrant native), hellebores and weird japanese azaleas with spidery lavendar flowers.  Stop me before I plant again!!!!

Hope spring is going well for all of you and if you can't get into your gardens, you've managed to twist someone else's arm to do it for you.
Just keep telling myself 'don't get hurt, fool'.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Too funny!  We have the opposite problem up in Michigan, not a lot of planting until end of May due to frost.  Its been know to frost here up until Memorial Day.  Many times we run out there covering everything with boxes, blankets-etc..  I have flowers in pots waiting to be put in the ground--maybe another week I will.

Every year I buy two Dahlias and I tried digging up those tubers and storing but it didn't work out.  I was really upset about that because they were Holland Festival Saucer size 10' flowers.  I have never been able to find them again.  I've been buying the Gipsy Dahlias but they are not as big or pretty.  Maybe this fall I will try digging up those tubers again , with your guidance.  Such a shame to keep spending that money every year.

Isn't 36,000 platelets dangerously low?  Do you have to reduce your Interferon now?
1 of the branches on our papaya tree broke off the other day and out fell 36 papayas, never realized how many can grow on a single branch!  no ways to eat all of it so we planted some and made soup with the raw ones :)

also, i'm trying to plant lavender, they are so hard to take care of, it says full sun, but one type just wilts!   and they take forever to grow, any advice on that?   growing mind in a pot should really move it out to the grow so it can grow faster than it should.  and we have wild tomatoes thriving in out backyard like crazy.
oops, i meant "mint" not mind :)
Where area do you live to have a papaya tree?  How nice and I am envious.  Papaya smoothies everyday.  I have grown mint in containers, as I have heard it will take over a garden.  One year I had chocolate mint and added it to my tea.  It was odd at first but got use to it.  I have mint every summer along with basil, lemon oregano , rosemary and various others.  

No advice on lavender, but I am sure someone will.  I think your almost done with tx.  Yeahhhhhh!
If you grow papayas you are further south than me.  The only lavendar you can grow is spanish lavendar and then it will do best is a high well-drained alkaline bed (add a handful of lime).  I trialed them all in N. Louisiana last year and spanish was the only one to come back. I put them with afternoon shade.

Tippy, 36,000 is 14,000 below danger and will get the study doca panicky call from the study, then they call you.  The last time I crashed so bad they stopped all meds for 4 days and it pushed shot day to Tuesday.  That's messed up because bloodwork is done on Monday and results don't get back till Thurs or Fri, so you've already made it worse before they know how bad it is.  They asked me to come back on Tues for bloodwork but it will be a waste of time, even worse by then.  I'll try to talk them into letting me go back to Fridays.  3 days late on interferon can only allow the platelets to rise. I'm already on 84% of the interferon and will go to 40% of the interferon dose.  Done it before, not a problem for me.

Just call me Casper.  I went to a Halloween wedding party and wore white makeup as the  Queen of the Damned.  I look just like that now, but not wearing make-up.  I've started noticing the signs of crashing.  Exhausted & breathless is low hgb, ghostly and mouth sores is low platelets. Kidney infection for me is low neutrophils (don't want that again!)

I only got my husband to stop freaking out by showing him the wallet card to take to the emergency room.  It'll work out.
Mint will definately take over, so will lemon balm.  I have lemon balm and clip sprigs when I make green tea.  A bay leaf plant, basil, italian oregano rosemary, thyme...I dry all those at the end of the season.  Lemon oregano sounds good.  

I could never get dahlia tubers to keep for the next year either.  I don't think my canna's are going to come back either, those I store in the garage and plant in pots for the pond.
I also think I lost a pretty nice sized branch of my Summer Chocolate Mimosa tree this winter.

Hey Tippy, Have you ever seen an elderberry bush?  they grow in clayish dirt and they look like a fancy Japanese Maple, sorta, mine gets flowers on it.

Lal lives in Texas somewhere.  Lavender is easy to grow (at least in Pa.  put it in the ground and forget about it), maybe in Tx it needs more water cause it is so hot?
Not a water issue.  Down here we lose stuff because the combo of high humidity and heat lets fungal diseases attack much worse.  We try to cheat but some things are just not meant to be.

Are you hanging the dahlias and cannas in an area above freezing?  It's hard to put them someplace that is both cold but not freezing and not getting dried out by your heating system.
I put them in the garage that is not heated but it is not freezing.  They, the cannas, actually did come back when I planted them in the ground and that does freeze around here LOL.
GSD
Yes, that is what I will put there--a Elderberry Bush or two.  I googled it and looks like it will do well there.  We feed the birds and I plant flowers, shrubs to attract them, and birds love the Elderberry Bush, although birds and berries make for a big mess.  Will just have to hose everything down every other day for the blue stains on the patio, gazebo and everywhere.  

Oops --Husband just said no Elderberry bush or tree, as he will be the one cleaning up the big mess.  Aaaaw he knows me well--" Honey, please....  "

Casper
The Dahlias are kept in the basement and its cool down there in the winter.  I'm worried about you and please let us know what they do this week.  Your one cool, calm and collected girl.  Wish I had one tenth of your calmness.

Tippy, My elderberry does not get berries.  It is ornamental.  They are inexpensive too, I'll snap a pic tomorrow and post it.

I will find out tomorrow, if I don't have a tag on one I will ask my friend at the greenhouse where I bought them.  Might not be till Monday cause tomorrow is mothers day and she will be swamped.  They are purple with feathery / lacey leaves and there are 2 types, one that flowers and one that doesn't.  I have seen some in hubby's landscape magazines advertised as the "new japanese maple". They grow very fast too, I cut mine back every fall.  It is growing in **** clayish type soil that hubby hauled in to put around the pond.  My friend always tells her customers to dig the hole twice as big as the root ball & you could work in some sand or something to fill in around the root ball.
I always plant tree in native soil.  The roots will have to grow out into some day, anyway.  If it's really horrible, like your clay, that's good advice to dig the hole much, much wider.  Once you've busted up the clay and put it back in the hole, it should be a lot easier for the roots to move through.

We are on the cusp of hydrangea season here.  The 'Endless Summer' has already colored up.  I'm sure those rebloomers were designed for you guys in cold climates.  Since it blooms on old & new wood, if the bush gets frozen to the ground and loses its old wood, you still have a shot at blooms.

I'm going to upload photos of the ultimate mophead hydrangea (my opinion) on my page.  It's called 'Ayesha'.  Grows and establishes much faster than all others (possible choice for difficult soils?), has a darker, shinier leaf and the petals are cupped so that some people call it the popcorn hydrangea.  You will love it if you can find it.
I put two Endless Summer in last year and excited too see how, and when they flower.  We won't get any blooms until mid July on the mopheads.  Even the Rhododendrons won't bloom until end of May, or early June.  

Husband wants to put in some Lillis of the Vallie's, as he loves the smell and his Mother always had them.  Theres two bags in the garage waiting to be planted.  Oh boy!  Trying to tell him those things will take over the whole yard and we'll never get rid of them.  I'm half  tempted to hide them, never to be found.  I don't know what you did with them, is all I can say.

I did look at the photo, nice.  Think I will put some Black Eyed Susan in and some Gladiolus in the clay. They make for beautiful fresh cut house flowers.
I have some of the smaller black eyed susans and actually like them better than the tall ones.  Have you ever seen the green eyed ones?  They are different.  

Good Luck with those lillies of the valley.  Can they handle a shady area?  I have a spot that would be good for them to take over.

In my pic of the orange azelia as you can see no blooms yet, I think that one is red blooms.

When we first moved here there was Mountain Laurel around the back porch.  I had pygmy goats then and they ate EVERYTHING even the Mt Laurel.  Well it acted like an overdose of speed, I thought my mean female goat was gonna drop over dead, she didn't & went on to eat my grape vines LOL
Hi all,

This thread is so amazing. Thank you all very much. It brings me real happiness to think of us and our gardens.

Tippy, I really love Lilies of the Valley. We brought our  from the cottage, where the lilies have taken over about half an acre. And in the last ten years, I've seen first hand how frustratingly invasive they are. Have tried digging in border edges but they go underneath, tried digging them out but they come back. I still tell myself that I love them but now I also hate them.

Still, I have so many big showy flowers but nothing does it for me quite as much as a couple of lilies of the valley or forget-me-nots in a teeny vase.

For Mother's Day, my husband is going to put in another hardy climbing rose for me. (He's been designated responsible for Mother's Day, now that the kids only phone home from out of town.)  Has anyone heard of butterflying the root ball? It's so tangled and overgrown in the pot.

Yes, the lilies like shade.  Maybe you should send that goat to portanns house to thin out those lilies.  

Port
In a month or so we can start putting up pictures of the garden.  Mine doesn't get going good until mid July.  
Do you mean cutting (sort of)it to split it up?  If so, I do that with my 30ish year old asparagus fern every year.  Speaking of asparagus, I planted a bunch last year and just yesterday ate 6 nice fresh sprigs, yum.  real butter on those too.  Next year should be a good harvest.

Yes, yes, I love pictures
If roots are really tight in the container and going round and round, definietly butterfly them or score lightly down the outside of the root ball with the balde of your pruners.  It's possible for rootbound plants to keep circling after planting and never spread out and get established.

Daylilies starting here soon, too.  Does anyone else have daylily rust problems?  They used to be the world's best perennial till that disease came in from China.  I'm hoping all the plants I moved in last year are resistant.

We really learn some lessons the hard way.  In a garden of mine further south, vast areas were ruined by oriental bloodroot groundcover and by hardy morning glories.  I actually had to move away to end the frustration.  Now if someone tells me a plant is invasive, it might get admitted in a container, but probably not.  

Portann I agree.  No matter what's going on, there is nothing like the joy you get from the rebirth of the garden every spring.
Dahlias are my husband's favorites, and when survive year after year, they just get bigger and more fabulous.  I found the best thing after digging them up is to brush the soil off gently with a paintbrush, and put them into individual paper bags with some sterile soilless mix/sawdust/vermiculite (easy to label that way, too), and I kept them in the basement were it was very damp, but not below 45 degrees.  I had many prize bulbs for several years (some Park Princess that would grow 4-5 tall and flowers 8-10 inches across), but had a flood problem one year, and they all rotted in the basement and we had to declare them a loss along with some furniture and keepsakes. (I think my husband minded the loss of the dahlias more than anything else...!)

Being in New England I'm still waiting for last frost, so I've just been admiring the bulbs coming and going at this point.  The little surprise in the garden was last week a local stray decided to pick my backyard ivy bed as the place to have her litter of kittens!  Cutest things, barely moving around under the yews... so I guess this year my seedlings are gonna have young feline competition for space lol.  

Happy Mother's Day to everyone!
~eureka
My sister and I have been gardening for a few months now.  We have to contend with the beach sand that's actually all the way into the mainland where we live.  We built it up with top soil, manure, Miracle Grow soil, etc.  We've got some things growing great now.  Some tall corn, some tomatoes, some zucchini, some yellow squash, some spinach, some broccoli, some beans and some marigolds (to ward off the interested animals-hopefully).   Today, I got to taste some of our first harvest and it was Yummmm.  I had 1/2 of one of the 1st tomatoes, some of the zucchini which I ate raw dipped in some ranch dressing and a few of the green beans-raw.   We washed them off first, of course!  But, there was nothing that I've tasted that's is store bought, that ever tasted as good as just picked that day from the garden!  And knowing that we did it ourselves, from seeds,  and with the good Lord growing it, made it so much the better!!

Blessings and happy gardening.

Susan400
I have a wood chuck {or somthing] in the area  , he kills everybody garden in the circle. most of my stuff is going in screen porch .  hes big and fat    sun of a  bit*h .and his hair is shiney        bob
A 22 short will fix that, LOL  It works around here
Love that this thread is still going=)

I haven't tried all the beautiful flowers, but am doing pretty good with my veggies.  Neighbors probably think I am crazy because it is in the front yard, not the back-but it was the perfect spot.

I finally found some stevia and it is doing well.....I just don't know what to do with it.  Have any of y'all ever grown it?  Any suggestions?

We couldn't figure out what was eating the bottom leaves off the collards this past season....until hubby found a huge turtle out there one morning stuffing his face, lol!
I have stevia cuttings that I'm trying to root.  I was told they are tropicals so have to come in for the winter where I am.  They are struggling.  Everytime I take off the humidity tent they flop over.
I wonder if drying the leaves and crushing to a powder would work.  You could make an extract but that involves alcohol.  Guess it wouldn't be any worse than vanilla though.  I still use vanilla, but I flinch everytime.
I read there are over 200 varieties of stevia, some sweeter than others.  I have no idea which one I have, but know it's sweet, cause I munched on one of the leaves.
alot of people have old aquariums , some w small cracks .i have 4 outside.  there great for rooting and growing herbs .as long as the water can evaporate or drain {drill small hole in corner of tank ,}  the 40 gallon will be a painted turtle  project {it holds water } as i didnt get to make my kio pond AGAIN this yr !!!       just a thought  
I was putt zing around in the yard and this is what I saw.  She let me get 2 feet away.  Not scarted !  I took pictures and posted in my photos.  Take a look!
http://www.diggingdog.com/pages2/plantpages.php/S-0595

Here is the link to the elderberry bush.  I saw another one online too but mine has lacy leaves kind of like a japanese maple.  gotta go check out your ..............wait a minute, I saw it this morning.  I am gonna get a pic of what eats my suet
I looked at the link but it states it does produce fruit.  Been to local nurseries and haven't seen them anyway.  Bought some nice stuff today --still waiting for the Roses and Dahlias.  I want some yellow double knock outs.   Still to cold to plant yet, as we had frost twice this week, and had to run and cover everything up.  

That ole sly rooster--too funny.
You're right, I found the exact name and didn't read the description.  My friend at the greenhouse has tables full of these plants and they don't get fruit.

The knockouts are nice and I don't think I ever saw a double one.  I have a knockout bush and a KO tree.

Today I bought chives, cilantro and a dwarf purple & green basil.  Rule of thumb around here it to wait till Memorial weekend to plant the veggie garden.  I am lucky we didn't get a frost a few nights ago, my japanese maples would have been toast till next year.
hey all, sorry took me so long to reply,  summer is finally here!!!  i just got done with my last final!  papaya and tomatoes are so easy to grow here way down in the south!  matter of fact, we have wild cherry tomatoes thriving on their own in the randomest spots in our backyard! (picture soon).
Congrats, Lal, on doing your last final today. I'm eating some mango and imagining having a papaya tree like you. Whew.

To all:  I think I overdid it and come Memorial Day weekend, I'll have to be outside day and night, planting a gazillion seedlings, new dahlias and rose bushes.

Two questions:

Has anyone ever tried growing tomatoes upside down?

Any ideas for what to do about dozens of tulips, post-blooming?

I have about seventy for the first time. Before this,  I just had a few,  let the leaves die to feed the bulbs and would hide the leaves among summer growth. This year I'll have so many browning leaves everywhere. Any ideas?

Nice to get back to the thread. I had a couple of bad post-tx days (days 14 and 15) Monday and Tuesday. It was a bummer, I kid you not. Just kind of went blue, real blue, as in emotions. I had some fries for breakfast at a diner this morning and snapped out of it. Sure surprised me.
There is a guy close by me that has been growing tomatoes upside down waayyyy before the topsy turvey came about.  He used 5 gallon buckets hung on a clothes rack with wheels and pushed them in & out of his shop way into late fall.  He used coffee filters at the hole in the bottom so the dirt wouldn't come out.  Good luck if you try it, they are all the rage.

I know some landscapers that do a lot more planting than we do, the big expensive houses in the upscale neighborhoods.  They just cut them off and claim that it doesn't hurt them.  I would just spread some mulch over them to hide the dying leaves.  Or you could pull them up & replant in the fall uughgh  I don't do that, I put mulch over them or let the mostly die and the cut them.

As for the post tx blues...................I had that real bad.  I am just a little over a year and FINALLY feeling good.  My joints & muscles are still killing me but I can handle that.  I actually went to a psych and am still going.  It really helped to talk to a neutral party.

LAL!!!!  Great news on finishing up the finals!!!!

Denise
That sounds great about your neighbor's custom upside down tomato plants. I'd rig something up if I weren't so lazy. I'm going to try the topsy-turvy this year. I've had mixed results with veggies, except for my Thai chilies which were an amazing success.

I'll  definitely do the mulch over the tulip leaves. Totally hadn't thought of it. I have a huge compost but haven't turned it over for I don't know how long, so don't think I should use that.

Last time I visited a psychologist was when I was having conflict with my younger son. In the end, I didn't want to talk it out with a stranger, just wanted to 'flee'. (I love fleeing.)That's what I did for a month. When I returned home, my heart still ached but I'd adjusted or at least resigned myself.

It was really good for me to get away but I'm not up to it this time, physically or emotionally. I feel so d-amn decrepit and feeble and wish I were Lal's age.:)

I do have the post-tx blues and thank you so much for telling me that you also went through this. I can't put my finger on why.
Port, My motto was "when the goin' gets tough, Denise gets goin' ".  So I know all about fleeing.  I wish I was Lal's age too.

I am 47 and TX aged me probably 10 years in looks and I'm not sure about everything else yet.  I would be driving down the road and just start bawling for no reason.  Everything came to a head the evening I decided to drink a half pint of vodka (I know, I know) I haven't drank in so long, like 15 years, and the waves of anxiety, and my doc wouldn't give me anything except zoloft and told me it would take 3 weeks to work, and, and  DUHHHH.  Well I didn't know what Soma & vodka would do.........ride to hospital in the ambulance, scared my mom and hubby to death.  It was stupid but self medication "seemed like a good idea at the time.......not.  That is over and done with and I guess the psych is helping.

Hinest, it took me a year to feel like myself.  Not saying that it will for you but if it does remember that you are not alone.

Denise
Denise,

Thank you truly - I could bawl just reading your post.

Aren't garden threads great?

Maybe it's how tx drains us and makes so many demands. Then some of us collapse after the marathon.
Ugly as it is, don't cut or cover the foliage to your bulbs until it's pretty yellow.  They need to make the energy for next year's flowers.  We can't grow tulips here, too warm.  Kind of like trying to do cut flowers...still worth it for the pleasure it brings, then throw them out.  

I am on my first week of sick leave and will stay out until I finish and turn back into a human.  I was really hoping that the 10 years older look was totally related to the dehydration.  You mean it's not?  And here I was thinking that with losing 15 pounds I was going to be so good-looking when I finished!  Crushing disappointment.
Newleaf, hmm I honestly never had a problem but then maybe I do wait till they get kinda crappy before hubby (yes hubby) puts down new mulch. He does it cause we use 20 - 30 yards around here.

Oh and BTW I gained that 15 lbs back and then some LOL.

Port, yea I did collapse the money issues didn't help either.
A bit of nostalgia, looking up Tippy's thread for some info I need today. I recall someone posting about it.

My dinner plates are finally going to flower (surreal!) but the leaves are being eaten pretty badly. Does anyone know if I should do something or just let things take their course?

Also, I had a disaster with my cosmos. I think I overfertilized them because all the greenery turned burned-looking. Is there anything I can do to save them?

We're getting a lot of rain here but I know those in the Texas area are having a rough time with lack of water. How is Lal's garden hanging in?
Hres a good video on to grow  herbs

http://stagevu.com/video/bmviwuqtzila
If your talking about Dahlia dinner plates, its probably grubs eating your leaves.  They love Dahlias.

You can try the old beer trick, or you can buy the harsher pesticides.  One year I didn't do anything and the plant look pretty bad.  Your flower buds will come from new leaf shoots and if those are being eaten it will affect the plants flowering performance.  
Rocker, you don't learn gardening by watching, you learn it by doing.  

We've been getting drowned for some reason in Louisiana.  I'd love to plant something but know that the rains will quit and new stuff will die in the heat.  Envious of you guys.  We just hold on through the summer.

Rereading the posts reminded me of spring and also how lousy I was doing last spring.  Kind of a weird mix of emotions. Certainly happier now!
it is frying hot here down south!  my last lavender is almost burnt out :(  and our grapes won't fruit, gardenia bush won't flower :((

wish we had some rain here, lacking water is a yes, they have a policy for people here that even numbered street addresses can only water their lawns on tue & thur, and odd numbers mon & wed something like that.  most people violate the rules and secretly water their plants at night.  our water bill went triple digits last month

but recently, my mom mowed over our only thriving patch of wild tomatoes in the backyard, they fruit like crazy rain or shine!  but wasn't getting enough nutrition seeing the baby tomatoes all turned yellow when the drought hit, no more red tomatoes.  so mom mowed over them bc she wanted them to "rest in peace."