Hepatitis Social Community
Hair color options...

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

Hair color options...

I know this is very superficial compared to everything else I could be worrying about right now.  But I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what I can use to color my hair.  I wasn't told until the week before I started treatment that I should not color my hair.  Had I known this sooner I would have colored my hair as close to natural as possible before starting treatment.  I'm just finishing my second week of triple therapy with incivek, I have very thick hair, and haven't noticed any more hair loss than usual, so I would think if I was going to try to color one last time, now would be the time to do it ... I would normally just use ion or clairol from sally beauty supply, but am wondering if there are any more gentle products out there that would be better.
I personally would not put any Chemicals on my hair during tx...I have very long hair (back of my knees).I do not want to lose any moister than I have to,bc it makes the hair brittle and dry.I have even waited a couple of days to wash my hair,because I don't want to dry it out..Chemicals on the hair will dry it out and can cause you to start losing it..JMO!

~Country~
I wouldn't color it at all...I didn't start to lose mine until half way through treatment so you want to treat it very gently.  If you absolutely have to, maybe aveda since they are mostly natural.
  I'm with the 2 comment from countrygirl and Greta be kind to your hair and body I learn that with chemo. GB
I agree with all of the replies, better not to expose yourself to more toxins--having said that if you are going to anyway I know a woman who works at a Salon who says that Paul Mitchell hair color has the least harmful chemicals.
I have gone gray, thinking about a gray braid-haven't decided yet.
Good luck (Aveda is good too)
So sorry, I just reread your original post-
If you were told not to color your hair during treatment, then listen to your Doc. It might be that it is bad for your hair but more than likely if your Dr. said not to color it, my guess is it has to do with absorbing toxins through your scalp. I really wouldn't take any chances now-
Treatment is really hard on our skin and hair. Even if it doesn't fall out  it it does get awfully dry. What you might consider is getting a short cut.

Your doctor told you not to color your hair.
Your skin and scalp are porous, your liver filters everything including what you breathe.

If you're determined to do it anyway, go to Whole Foods or a health food store and ask for a gentle hair product. There are some less toxic ones I've seen for sale.

I have to admit that I dyed mine one last time, a neutral ash brown, with a gentle, ammonia free hair-dye that goes by the names, either "Herba-Tint" or "Nature-Tint"...same company and product, etc. It is imported, I think from Germany, and it smells good, and is MUCH more gentle thean Clairol, for sure!
    That being said, I dyed it that neutral color, to blend with my silver at the temples, and then went 26 weeks not dying it, woot!  I had alot of fun, NOT dying it, and my natural hair was so much thicker than my dyed hair had been. I ended having much less grey hair, then I had thought, all those years. It looked so grey, when I got roots, but it actuallu still had tons of light brown in it, and the silver hair blended with the bleach blonde pn the bottem~
I colored my hair twice during treatment. The salon I go to uses Loreal ,professional and it does not contain ammonia. I also used Nixon shampoo during treatment and used to leave conditioner in while I showered and didnt have a problem with dryness just shedding, which I would have had with or without color. The way I felt the last thing I wanted to do was walk around with white roots. But if your dr. said NO, I would listen to him. Now after almost 6 months from eot my hair is growing like crazy. Good luck!
Thank you all .. It wasn't my doctor, it was the nurse educator from genetech who had mentioned it would be better not to color when it comes to preventing hair loss.  I did color my hair back to my natural color last night, I used a more gentle soy complex dye, and so far so good.
I died mine all through treatment. I used a natural ahircolor from health food store. It was called herbatint. I had no problems.
I use the Nixon I have 4 weeks left of treatment and I havent lost a lot of hair it did just start coming out some.  WEN is a fantastic Cleanser and Rinse it really works which I was shocked I will use that after treatment.  Hope this helps.