Hepatitis Social Community
Has anybody had their doctor check an ammonia level?

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

Do any of you know if your doctor has ever ordered an ammonia level?  When would this test be necessary? Back when I was getting everything set up for my 1st Mayo appt., they asked me if I'd ever had an ammonia test before and I had no idea.  Also, how often do you ever get a PT or PTT?  Just curious.  All I'm getting on my next test is an LFT as this is all my doctor has ordered.  I guess now that I'm not treating it's not necessary to run as many tests as far as the gastro is concerned?  What do your doctors do as far as testing post treatment, if you are a non-responder?   My internal med doctor is still going to be ordering the Comp. Metab. Pan. and TSH like every 3 mon.   What about a viral load, are those totally unnecessary off of treatment? I'm just being nosey because I want to know what the other doctors are doing.  

Susan
I have had both tests. If you have advanced liver damage the tests are used to evaluate your condition.

Here are a couple links to explainations of these tests.
Sounds like you are in good hands at Mayo. I hope you are feeling good lately.

First link is regarding ammonia testing, the next discusses PPT

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20031001/tips/8.html
http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/Prothrombin-Time
Nope - But I've thought about it. I'm supposed to be on a trial script of lactulose but several things have conspired to keep me from picking it up at the pharm. I had a detailed conversation with the well respected hepo about trying it, and I later wondered why ammonia testing didn't come up. He did say that depending on job and mental function one person might notice problems more than another, which leads me to believe it's not so much an absolute values issue.

Kalio: Did you have a list on non-amonia producing foods? I was on a crumboled bleu cheese kick a month ago when it dawned on me that swill is probably 90% ammonia.  
Not to sound stupid, but why would someone check this?
Do you have problems with it as damage progresses?

Just curious, hubby has cirrhosis and it has never been mentioned, or so I think, maybe it was done. I dont think they ever checked mine. Never even heard of it to be honest.

Too much ammonia causes brain fog. But it's usually at stage 4.
If you are in advanced liver desease u should get ur amonia (ammonia) levels checked.I was just in the hospital for a high level. Mine was 160. I was unaware of anything I was doing .I could have went into a coma. I have already had a transplant 4 yrs ago. This liver is failing because I still have have hep c. There is nothing else that can be done. I am just tring to last a little longer till my grandkids get themselves prepared and I pray to God to please help me just a little longer. The amonia (ammonia) levels usually don't elevate until the very end. Good Luck to u,and I pray for u and ur husband,It is a very devasting thing to happen to anyone.Just a note about food,meat is a bad thing to eat,if ur trying to keep ur amonia (ammonia) levels down.
Kalio gave a good description of why they'd want to look at your ammonia level.  Its the responsible thing to do in a good assessment.  It doesn't mean its high or that you've progressed to that level, they're just trying to see.  

Philly, sorry to hear you've been having such a rough time.  It must be very difficult.  My thoughts are with you and your family.
When I was in the hospital, my ammonia levels in my blood were high.  I was given certain medications to take, and had a special diet.  After I left the hospital I take certain medications, and have a diet low in sodium, and try to watch my fluid intake.  I was tested back in January, and the ammonia levels in my blood were low.  By the way I have Hep C, and I need a liver transplant, but I have been out of the hospital for about 2 and one half years.  
I have Hep C, and I need a liver transplant.  The liver controls the ammonia level in your bloodstream.  If the ammonia level in the bloodstream is too high, your brain can be affected.  You can become confused, and disoriented.  I had a blood test for my ammonia level in my bloodstream back in January of 2009.  My level of ammonia was low.  I have to eat a low sodium diet, and limit my fluid intake to a pint a day.  The reason why I need a liver transplkant is because my white blood cell count is low.  Any kind of ************** lowers the white cell count.  My last blood test for my white blood cell count was 2.4.  Back when I was younger my white blood cell count was 8.6.  2.4 is a very low level.  Anyone who takes chemo, or radiation treatment for cancer, will develop a lower white blood cell count.  Any time the white blood cell count becomes too low, the treatment has to be stopped.  White blood cells are necessary for your immune system, and they fight off infection.