Hepatitis Social Community
Having a problem with locating my old records....

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

I'm really frustrated.  The people running the clinical trial that I'm trying to get into (Vertex) need proof (i.e. from doctor's office, medical records) of my Peg-Intron regimen as in when treatment was started and when it was stopped.  The problem is that the doctor who was prescribing it for me, has retired.  That was way back in 2001 and trying to get my hands on those records is proving to be difficult.  I'm really feeling upset because I don't want to be cut out of the study, just because of this problem w/the records.  I have pharmacy records, insurance records, but that's not what they want.  Say some prayers for me that I can get some sort of records, or something.

Susan
The doctor's records must have been put in storage. This is another reason why we keep all copies of our labs. Whoever took over his practice probably knows where the former doctor's records are. They have to same them for many years. Be persistent. I hope you get them soon. Yes, that's a great clinical trial to get into.
If you continue to have trouble contact your State Medical Board or such. Even when the doctor's die their old records are somewhere.
Try the Florida Medical Assn. 800 762 0233.  I'm sure they don't have your receords, but maybe they can tell you what is typical when a doc retires.
Yes, I believe it's the law that all pt. records are to be saved on premises
for 5 to 7 years.
Just push to get your answers.  Someone has the answer.
? ask to speak with management in medical records.
That is the one that was given such an order to move or to dispose.  If that person is no longer there, well you take the next step to administration or corporate, or the biggest management they have in the building.
Missy
Yes, I would definitely press the office as hard as I could to get the actual records. Have a lawyer friend call if necessary, cause I'm sure they're around if someone takes the time.

But meanwhile, and in case the above fails, you should be able to compile proof of treatment by requesting documents both from your insurance company as well as from the actual labs that did the blood work. That, together (or even instead of) with a letter from the doctor's office explaining the missing records, or even a letter from your PCP, hopefully will satisfy them that you actually treated.

Hope it all works out.

-- Jim
I think Jim has a good idea.  Over the years, you've pieced together your tx attempts and the rx stuff you have access to should help you to fill in memory gaps.  Lord knows, if you don't have memory gaps after 8 go 'rounds someone should get on the phone to the Vatican cause that'd be a miracle.  You're gettting closer, Susan.  There is no one qualified to sugesst that you be patient.
Why don't you just type up a neat little list of drugs, doses and dates, on a single sheet of paper and have the doctor's office sign off on it after showing them all the receipts, etc. As far as lab tests are concerned, I'd just have your doctor's office call the lab and get copies. Just a thought to move things along.

-- Jim
Thanks everybody.  I guess if this is all meant to be, it will work out somehow.  The problem is though, that the one doctor (K.) left the area and his group didn't have anything in any of their records to indicate the he'd prescribed me the Peg-Intron.  EVEN THOUGH, I have the pharmacy records as proof, with his name on it as the prescribing doctors.  I went to the pharmacy today and got a printout of it.  Everything at (K.'s) office is talking about the Infergen that he'd prescribed on a different treatment round.  At the other doctor (B.), all of those records are probably buried in a warehouse somewhere.  I don't know if I'll be able to convince anybody that I need them pronto--not just whenever they feel like it.  And I need them to get records that talk about when (B) prescribed his Peg-Intron.  (B.) had prescribed it back when I was on the combination of Peg-Intron and Actimmune.  Anyway, it would have been a whole lot easier for me to keep records together if it had been all with 1 doctor and if he was still my doctor presently.  But, it didn't happen that way.  Hopefully, the study nurse will be able to piece together the pharmacy records, the PCR lab records that I have and what I told her, to be able to make a case for me w/the guy in charge of managing the study for this clinic.  She's going to talk to that guy on Mon.  I just need to take a chill out.  

Susan
I have been thinking about this problem and I got to thinking maybe your insurance company can help out on this? It seems they would have records that might help. Just throwing it out there..
I know some (if not all) keep copies of your actual records because I was able to get some of mine that way.

Best of luck dealing with this papertrail problem, you sure deserve a slot in that trial if you want it!
Did they have B-N-Charge back then or is that new? Were you by any chance registered with them. Where did you get your tx drugs? Surely a pharmacy would have records, since it would be a specialty pharmacy. Maybe. I try to get records of the drugs prescribed to you as proof also.
Good Luck!
Bug
i recently went in search of records that were REAL old. like 20 years or more.  I was contacting a hopsital that i WORKED at at the time. The med records tech told me that the only time period that medical records are required to be kept is SEVEN years!.
Here's a good idea: Why don't I read the whole thread before I post. I'm such an impulsive idiot. I just re-read and realized you had already tried the whole pharmacy route. Guess I need to slow down before I try to
play Sherlock! Did I tell you about the time I got in a wreck chasing shoplifters?! The shoplifters got away, and I got a big bill from the other driver!
Bug