Hepatitis Social Community
Hep C and Fatigue

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

Hep C and Fatigue

Hi guys, thought I would post this on this side of the forum and see if any of you could respond that didnt on the other side.

I am doing research into Fatigue and Hepatitis C, I need your input:

1. Is fatigue your worst symptom.

2. What do you use or take to help with the fatigue.

3. What is your experience with fatigue before treatment.

4. As you know there arent many studies done that supply us with a remedy for fatigue, except the study done on Ondansatron by Piche et al in 2005.  Have any of you tried Ondansatron??

I appreciate all your help in this, thanks.  The findings will be written up in a report I am writing with a psychologist on the symptoms of hepatitis C.  A link will be provided once it is written and published.

I appreciate all your help in this, thanks.

Linda
Hi- I'd be glad to give some input. Here goes!
1. Yes- it affects my ability to get through the day often.
2. So far nothing helps- I've tried coffee, NoDoz, snapping rubber bands on my wrist and hanging my head out the window while driving... When I'm tired I entera state of semi-consiousness that is very hard to come out of.
3. I tx'ed way back in '96- fatigue didn't affect me then. After was fine too- the fatigue has started in the past 6 years.
4. No, never tried Ondansatron- I'd be willing  to though!

Thanks for your interest- hope your report goes well.
Best wishes,
  Dee
1.  Yes, the fatigue was the worse symptom.  It probably was my only symptom.  I attributed it to the anemia and always feeling winded.
2.  Nothing helped, even sleep.  But the more I did, the better I felt.
3.  I did not have chronic fatigue before or after treatment (except when my thryroid was quitting, due to treatment).
4. No, never heard of Ondansatron.  What's one more drug?  Riba, Interferon, Procrit, Ambien......
1. Fatigue is my only sympton.
2. I take milk thistle and B-12
3. Haven't treated yet but will eventually.
4. Never heard of Ondansatron.
1.  Yes, fatigue was extreme, but not my worst symptom.  Worst was an autoimmune skin condition, which was red and raw and left me with permanent scars.  But I basically slept most of the day during tx.
2.  I took Procrit and Wellbutrin.
3.  Before tx, fatigue and the skin disease were already my primary symptoms.  Like many people here, I kept getting odd illnesses, strange cases of the "flu" etc., and always needed a nap midday.  At one point I was convinced I had West Nile virus.  Only when my ALT rose did they test for hcv, which the docs estimate had been with me for at least 20 years.
4.  No.

I am 55 and in wk 24 of tx (Int & Rib plus a HCV 796 clinical trial, which was recently stopped). I am still doing SOC treatments. This week my fatigue level crashed me. I could not go to work. Before tx, I went to the gym 3-5 days per week, 2-3 hours each time, cardio for an hour HR of 150+, weights, machines, etc. I did this for years.  Now I might go once every week or two, if my wife drags me there. I am also doing Procrit, once/wk. I am looking for a way to increase my RBC (now at 2.96- down from 4.6) . I saw a Japanese study on a post that said 2,000 mg Vit C and E per day, significantly reduced anemia in patients taking Int. and Ribavirin. I am going to discuss with my hepatologist next week. I need to do something! I am not experiencing body aches like I have read (at least not yet). Body rashes have subsided significantly (I also have scars). My ALT/AST is 34/31. My mental state is still OK(?), trying to keep a positive attitude,  but have boughts with anxiety.
I was tired before therapy due to long work hours, but nothing like the fatigue I have experienced during 104 wks., of therapy and even now, post last rd. of therapy August 06. I do not have the energy to tackle almost anything & I still have many side affects.I developed Cryo & Neuropathy as a result of the Hep C. I take Vit. B12 injections wkly. & procrit when I was on therapy.The only thing that helps at all is Ritalin, which I hate to take.I continue to worsen instead of getting better. But, there are occassional days that I feel much better and then I overdo & I am back down for 2 days. I do sleep alot, which is not like me. My sleeping schedule had always been-to bed between 11:30-12p.m. & up at 6. I now attempt to go to bed at about the same time, with the aid of a sleeping pill, and I sleep for approx. 2 hrs., then up for an hr., then bed until around 9 a.m.Every time I sit down during the day, I fall asleep for at least 30 min.I sit frequently as the neuropathy has numbed my feet & legs, so I cannot stay up on them. My mouth was a continual problem & still is. (sores & blisters) My Doctor fnally put me on Diflucan which is for yeast infections and it at least clears for me to eat some things. I have actually gained 25 pds., as all I could handle was ice cream, milkshakes, popsicles. I still have body aches and short term memory loss.The only clue that I had that something was wrong-was extreme hives. I still have them, but tolerable.I am starting Rituxan Dialysis soon to attempt to rid the white blood cells & cryo, hoping it will help the neuropathy. This is the only thing I can do for now-if left doing nothing, my Doctors at Shands, say I will end up in a wheelchair. I have never heard of the drug you mentioned. Maybe you could elaborate more?
SJL
Fatigue is my only symptom.  I do not take anything except a little coffee.  Have not started treatment yet.  Never heard of Ondansatron.  Good Luck!
Fatigue has been one of my most frustrating symptoms. I have always been blessed with great health and abundant energy. I began taking USANA essentail vitamins about a year after I tested positive for Hep C because I had a host of other annoying symptoms leading doctors to diagnose fibromyalgia. Long story short, I have not had to take drugs at present because my body spontaneously cleared the virus (not sure I trust that explanation). I do believe God created each of according to His plan and has a purpose for each of us and apparently mine is not yet complete. I have to put my trust in Him moment by moment. He has been the author of so many miracles in my life! Every day I grow closer in my relationship with Him because He has been right beside me through all the trials.
nnyg
I've been avoiding this post... cause fatigue sucks the life right out of me --- and the more I ignore it - the more I get done... LMAO!

I'm a mind over matter kinda gal. LOL!

Anyhooo I will try and answer your questions --- and I wish ya luck on your writing.

1. Is fatigue your worst symptom.

Sometimes. The SX merry-go-round was the hardest thing. Not as bad now --- but 6 months ago I think there were days that lifting my head off the pillow was so exhausting. Sometimes --- even now, I'll be at work and cannot move my body without extreme effort... However, like I said --- I try to keep that thought far far away. Otherwise I get nothing accomplished. And I hate feeling like I can't accomplish something.

For me --- I force myself to go until I drop. Or I just say to myself "one more minute - hang in there."

I was tired and achey (achy) all the time - felt like I was 90 years old... Or something like that. Like I should have been in a nursing home dozing in the sunlight like a cat. But it wasn't a comfortable snoozing... I do feel better now post treatment.

No - didn't try anything except EMERGEN-C. I kind of live on that stuff. But it's not really an "energy" thing per se. I've never heard of Ondansatron.  What is it?

Well - I do hope that helped.

Meki
Ondansetron is mainly used for nausea... post op, post chemo, stuff like that. I've never heard of it used to combat fatigue

My fatigue just gets worse and worse (but I'm already at week 65 of 72). The only thing that helps really is to take a midday nap, and wake up slightly refreshed.  I haven't found any magic medicines that help. (some have suggested Provigil, but I was reluctant to add yet another medicine to my regimen.)

Mark
Ondansetron (Zofran) put me to sleep during treatment, but then again, so did most anything.
Thanks for all your answers, they will all help in the review.  I have quite a lot to research now from posts people have made.  Ondansetron has been trialled for fatigue by Piche et al.  With some good results, but the cost of the pill is expensive, between $25 - $60 per pill.
Take care everyone.

Linda
Hi, I've been meaning to give you my take on your questions, but I'm too fatigued! lol...but I will, I'd like to read the thread in it's entirety when i get some energy...Im so silly...anyway, just wanted to say hi! and I'll try to get to this tamale!
Hi, yes, fatigue is indeed my worst symptom, and the only one that "really calls out to me" lol...I have low liver damage and great, very normal labs, so I know that my particular fatigue is not due to any kind of advanced hep c symptoms, I have read over and over on these boards that others (usually women) who have fatigue, sometimes have low to no liver damage as well.

With all my studying on the subject, and canvassing various doctors, it's probably due to the immune system fighting off an underlying, ongoing infection, something akin to what the body does in fighting off a flu virus. I've often talked to certain persons who had no  fatigue from this at all, no symptoms to speak of, yet they seemed to have a more aggessive virus, causin more excessive liver damage. I've wondered, is it because, for whatever reason, their own immune systems were not fighting off the virus? therefore no symptoms? I wonder. Of course, this does not apply to all people who have no symptoms, but it does make me wonder with those that have more advanced liver damage, and no symptoms.

For me, it's a stamina question as well, I can start something great guns, but I dont have the stamina to finish out a lot of things. I find myself having to take rest pauses through the day. Now I'm also suffering a bad case of menopause, with my hormones going all over the place, even though I supplement, so I really don't know if the hep is making that worse (I'd suspect) and if the fatigue is originating from the menopause or the hep, prob 6 of one and a half dozen of the other. I'm just hoping that treatment will alleviate some of this fatigue at some time, I can only hope. But I also know that expectations can play "gotcha" with many people, so I just hope for the best, and leave it at that, and try not to get too caught up in expectations.

The only thing I really do to help me with fatigue is some green tea in the morning, which does give me a definite boost (does have a little caffeine) and I find if I eat a giant veggie salad I get a little boost from all the vitamins and minerals. Speaking of which, my supplementation regimen does give me added energy against the fatigue as well. Course naps are a good way to relieve it too. Hope this helps you.
wanting to kill people all the time was my worst side but was to tired to do it. lucky for them. I never took any thing for it I just laid down an took a nap, lucky for I didn't have to work
Fatigue and shooting pains were the pre diagnosis symptoms.  During each round of tx I got more tired, pain kicked up and brain phog came in off the coast (more so anyway).

Post tx I went hypothyroid, developed heavy RA symptoms and still have terrible problems with both the pain and fatigue but deal with it by pushing through till I drop.  A couple of sleep studies show apnea, but I couldn't tolerate the cpap machine they Rx'd so recently had surgery to remove tonsils, adenoids (adenoids), zap the uvula, repair deviated septum and remove some "nodes" that were biopsied but showed clear.  Snoring is gone, breathing better and sleeping longer.  I'm just as tired as ever, fighting falling asleep at work and sometimes while driving...

LOOK OUT...........

Never heard of the med you listed.  I go in tomorrow (Thursday) to see the doc for the results of the last sleep study.  I know from the tech that the apnea is gone, but still something!

Kim
what is soc?
My H was very fatigued prior to dx.  He would sleep from the time he came home from the office until I got home from my job (much longer commute) every single day.  We joked and attributed it to our teens and our busy life and our "older" age. We did not realize that the fatigue was the Hep C.  The fatigue went away immediately upon starting tx.  He is now 1 month post tx and is no longer fatigued.
Hello i have hep c and fatigue is my worst sypmtom followed by night sweats and a body temperature that raises with just talking to someone or doing anything,another problem was skin infections which could go from mild to turning into abscess and needing hospital treatment [i v atibiotics because oral were not strong enough].Also affecting me with the fatigue was driving and falling asleep at work this had been going on for years and it it was only my DR hearing about the night sweats that she wanted blood test done and two blood test showed had and have got hep c,i have been to the hospital to see a specialist and had more blood test for which genology i have.,i am waiting for results and apointment back at the hospital and i guess treatment.I no now i have had hep c a long time because of the symptoms,also on my right handside below the ribcage feels lumpy i dont no if that is anything but its different to my left side.I hope this helps you.
By the way i am in Auckland New Zealand.
i'ts so bad some days, that all i can do is set. I never had it before tx . I have also tied every thing. I fact i get  it most days. I am woundering if i should take a amnio acids. to pick me up.
Doubt we will get that link to the published report since this was originally started/ended in 2007...

For me it wasnt the HepC but the CureofC/Treatment that brought on my disabilities and one included: chronic low level anemia which brings on somekindafunfunfun fatigue... tried a few things suggested by various docs and my psych has been most helpful. Currently he has me on VYVANSE (currently 70mg). I think it is for kids with ADD or something like that but for adults without ADD it works as a stimulant. It seems to be effective once it gets me out of bed and into my first espresso...

Coming off it is another story and takes a boatload of pills to try to get my into sleep mode and it starts all over again.

Copay for me is like one or two dollars under medicaid - cool!
Thanks for the comments, here is a link to the research:

http://www.hepcaustralia.com.au/hep-c-information-station/fatigue-in-hcv-infection-a-review-1989-2011
I was a hepc carrier for 40 years.  I just started treatment two and a half weeks ago with remarkable new oral drugs.  I was always feeling like I was slogging through the day and was working two difficult jobs but couldn't do any more and it seemed like every day was a cloudy, tired day.  Sleep was not that good but adequate I suppose.  The new drugs caused a 4 log drop in the viral burden in 72 hours.  During tht time I have slept soundly and while I am fatigued from the drugs it feels different.  It is easily dissipated with a cup of coffee which creates a buzz!  The old hep c fatigue never responded to coffee although heavy green tea helped some.  
1. Is fatigue your worst symptom.          My answer: Yes, but I do have other symptoms as well.

2. What do you use or take to help with the fatigue.     My answer:  Nothing other than morning coffee.

3. What is your experience with fatigue before treatment.      My answer:  Since I've never cleared and I've done treatment umpteen times, my experience with fatigue is the same as it's always been, no change there.  I do force myself, PUSH myself to exercise because I feel that the alternative of laying on the couch and giving in to the fatigue is worse.

4. As you know there arent many studies done that supply us with a remedy for fatigue, except the study done on Ondansatron by Piche et al in 2005.  Have any of you tried Ondansatron??    My answer:  No, I haven't tried it and I've never heard of it either.

I hope this helps your research.   Susan400
1. Is fatigue your worst symptom.
    Bad but not my worst.  I would say migraines and mood changes/depression
    Hydrocodone I dose on the night of the injection and follow the next 3-4 days with 1/2 a pill.  I am using Hydrocodone 5/500

2nd round of tx.  Fatigue *****, I am exhausted all the time and I think this lends to my mood swings.  Before tx I was tired but nothing like this.

No, is this not used for nausea in Cancer patients?  Is there anyone that uses it and knows it works?!?
Zofran Information from Drugs.com
www.drugs.com/zofran.html - CachedSimilar
You +1'd this publicly. Undo
Zofran (ondansetron) is used to prevent nausea and vomiting caused by surgery or cancer medicines. Includes Zofran side effects, interactions and indications.

1.yes
2.keep moving-coffee
3Not on tx yet
4.I have used Zofran-it puts me to sleep but VERY good for nausea         cindy
Thank you for you interest ,Yes Fatigue is my worst symptom ,not my only. Also suffer from bad bouts of heart burn,But the fatigue can be so bad and last about three days ..or so ,Seems to come and go just like that!! I usually ,just push on threw it to get things done ...I've never treated before ,Hopefully this year I 'll beable to get treatment ..never heard ofOndansatron
Odansantron is an anti-naseant..not sure how it could play a direct role in treating fatigue. Anyhow I struggle with fatigue. I work 12 hour shifts on my feet and have a family with young kids, so I'm sure these are also contributing factors. Some days I drink excessive amounts of coffee and could sleep with a cup of java in my hand. I would advise against taking large doses of caffeine, especially no-dose or wakeups. Caffeine is toxic to the liver in large doses. I have found that good nutrition and adequate water is the best energy boost. Careful not to take fat soluable vitamins like A,D and E. These are stored in the liver and can cause acute symptoms of hepatitis. A B12 complex is great for energy. Eating small frequent meals is best. Fibre intake is important in helping the body to eliminate toxins that are sitting in the bowels. A gentle cleanse is a great idea. It helps to cleanse the digestive tract so the crud isn't blocking the little cells that absorb the vitamins and minerals. Hope this helps :o)
I also have had hep c for forty years ..my blood test are good my biopsy good.....nothing has changed for many years had everything checked last Jan everything the same ...minimal ....yet this last 8 months have felt heavy fatigue  not sure why ...in non related test...heart kidneys etc ok   I am looking for something other then interferon    did your meds work   and where could i get information on them...thank you
That is exactly what is happening to my son. His test show that he has slight inflammation in his liver but yet he has overwhelming fatigue. The doctors think it is depression but he says he is depressed because he is so fatigued and can hardly function. The drs have offered no help. I found your analysis very interesting. Doesn't seem like the drs are willing to listen to what the patients are really experiencing to come up with a solution to the fatigue.