Hepatitis Social Community
Hep C transmitted sexually?

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

Hep C transmitted sexually?

Does anyone know of any case where Hep C was transmitted sexually?
There is a girl on forum who was raped and contracted Hep C.

Many people on forum have hep c and their spouses do not show a detectible level of hepatitus (hepatitis) C in the blood so most doctors and people would agree that the virus is not present in the body. I happen to believe otherwise. But that is just my opinion so you don't have to listen to that.

According to the medical community the risk of contracting HCV through heterosexual sex is 3%.
Wanted to say 'spouses dont show antibodies either.
How common is sexual transmission of hepatitis C?

(Question answered by Mayo Clinic infectious disease specialist James Steckelberg, M.D., and colleagues )

Hepatitis C is transmitted primarily by exposure to blood containing the hepatitis C virus. Transmission rarely occurs from exposure to other infected body fluids, such as semen.

If you're in a long-term, monogamous relationship with a partner who has hepatitis C, your risk of sexual transmission is low — 0 percent to 0.6 percent a year. For monogamous couples, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) doesn't recommend routine condom use to prevent transmission. But couples should avoid sharing razors, toothbrushes and nail clippers.

The risk of transmission is slightly higher — about 1 percent a year — if you have multiple short-term sexual relationships with partners who have hepatitis C. This risk increases if a partner is also infected with HIV. Under these circumstances, the CDC recommends routine condom use to reduce your risk of transmission.

If you're concerned about hepatitis C, talk to your doctor. Hepatitis C can be diagnosed by a blood test. Treatment may include medications to help clear the virus from the bloodstream.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hepatitis-c/AN00701
Seeing that she was raped - the chance of vaginal bleeding would be much higher than normal...

If you just play it cool and practice the safeRRR sex practices you should be fine.
Seeing that she was raped - the chance of vaginal bleeding would be much higher than normal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All it would take is a micro tear during sex. Otherwise doctors should say "your husband can use your toothbrush as long as you don't brush your teeth hard, be gentle."

Not necessarily true otherwise everyone would be having to use a condom when they have any sex and it's not even recommended for people in monogamous relationships...rough unprotected sex is more likely to give the tear or bleeding on BOTH sides of the equation anyway.  You need the blood from person A to get into the tear of B or vice versa.

and it's not even recommended for people in monogamous relationships...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And some doctors don't recommend doing an EOT PCR
And some doctors don't recommend doing a VL test other than <650 at 3months or whenever
And some doctors don't recommend using procrit - instead they lower your riba or pull you off tx
And some doctors don't recommend extending tx if a person is still detectable by week 20 or so

AND the most disturbing to me is....MOST doctors don't recommend that EVERYONE should be tested for HCV. And I happen to believe they should test everyone. But thats my opinion.

My feeling on all this is that people can easily see when their doctor is SO wrong and they have no problem in saying he doesn't know what he is talking about when it suits them,, but condoms - I understand, I hate them, but I love my husband and I wouldn't want to put him at risk now knowing I am infected. I personally believe that he and others that have spouses that are HCV positive do have under the radar virons- my opinion. I would hope I am wrong but I don't believe I am wrong in this case. Of course many would disagree and they have that right - same as I have a right to say what I say - not as fact, but opinion.

I'm with the "occult crowd," so thats really why I believe the way I do. I guess this type of discussion will always be on forum and we will always have a divided house on this issue - but it does make for an interesting discussion though IMO.

But anyhow, I guess its an individuals choice - for now. But what is going to happen if 'studies' all of a sudden prove other wise (that sexual transmission is much higher than thought, then what?:)

Do the doctors just say "Ooops?

Gotta go - seeya.

If you're in a long-term, monogamous relationship with a partner who has hepatitis C, your risk of sexual transmission is low

The risk of transmission is slightly higher — about 1 percent a year — if you have multiple short-term sexual relationships with partners who have hepatitis C.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These kind of statements that come from the medical community are absolutely amazing to me.
I mean really - no one see's anything wrong with these statements?

You can either get hep c from sex or you can't. I'm speechless (which is a rare thang) when I read things such as this.

Long term monogamous? not at risk,,,,yet multiple short term sexual relationships the odds go up??

Odds maybe to getting STD's, but I don't understand how the Odd's could go up with hep c if this doctor really believes what he is preaching. What is his reasoning? Does he think hep c virus is accumulative therefore the more partners you have who are infected you will eventually develope antibodies?

Alright, enough.

Btw, did you feel the race care driver deserved to be the winner on dancing with the stars? I thought both couples were good - but I thought the spice girl chick was going to walk away with it.But I'm glad this guy won though. He was very sweet and he really wanted to win. Show was way toooooooo long though. I don't like those judges though either.

Okay I'm going to eat a Calzone for din- din. yummie yummie. Not really that good for me I guess, but I am in a Calzone mood.
The "occults" have antibodies though and that is a distinguishing factor - isn't it? I never infected any of the women I have lived with and there have been several since I contracted the virus. One I lived with for 12 years and another for 10 years and there is nary a trace - even any sign of antibodies - in either of them or the others I lived with for shorter periods of time. Maybe you could get it from taking a bite out of your infected mate's sandwich too - I mean it is possible or even sleeping with them. Say if you elbowed him in the face during one of your bad dreams and his teeth punctured your skin and his gums were injured by your elbow - blood to blood. That seems possible too. Do you wear knee and elbow pads and have him wear head gear while you're in bed together? It would be a safer approach to sleeping with an HCV infected partner. There are so many risks that maybe we should just wear body condoms. That's it - I'm getting one made right away - just to be safe because I care about my woman too. Of course I am SVR but then there is the occult stuff so I am not taking any chances - I'm getting one made ASAP and I advise everyone else to get one too. When I find a manufacturer I will post where to contact and order.
Mike
My husband does wear a body condom. Thats old news. I'm the ONLY body condom manufacturer. I saw the need - God gave me the idea and I ran with it.  AND I wrap myself in Saran Wrap for added protection - you'll see that in my profile if you care to look. Sorry about the hair -I was having a bad hair day.

So look no further, I am the one and only manufacturer and since you only have "occult infection," you can wear the light weight body condom that I designed. You want blue, right? I'll put it in the mail right away.
Don't worry, I'm not mad at you or anything, so there won't be any holes in it.

MO: The risk of transmission is slightly higher — about 1 percent a year — if you have multiple short-term sexual relationships with partners who have hepatitis C.
These kind of statements that come from the medical community are absolutely amazing to me.I mean really - no one see's anything wrong with these statements?
You can either get hep c from sex or you can't.
----------------
I think we've had this discussion before, and no, I don't see anything necessarily wrong with that statetment.

For example, sexual relationships with multiple partners are more frequently associated with numerous STDs, which could act either in a synergistic way with the virus, or more simply just allow the virus easier entry because of open sores like in syphillis (syphilis), herpes, etc. There may be other sociological reasons as well, but it all seems plausible and btw it's all based on stats from studies as far as I understand. No one is making this stuff up.

--Jim
"All it would take is a micro tear during sex."

It would take at least two micro tears-- one in each person to transmit the virus.  And these micro tears would have to be bleeding and rub against each other, probably with no lubricants in between to dilute the blood concentration or form a barrier that allows the virus to penetrate the micro tear.  (And doesn't most sex involve lubrication?)  How much does a micro tear bleed?  Hep c transfer possible during sex?  Definitely, but remote chance.  Micro tear to micro tear transfer, give me a break.

I don't have the energy to comment, I'm tired, going to bed..BUT.. Btw I didn't say "Tear to Tear," I said "Tear," as in ONE tear. I don't believe you need 2 tears - ONLY one tear and infected bodily fluid - example - a mans infected bodily fluid - not necessarily semen - just fluid and a tear that the woman has for it to enter. I don't care what others say. Infected fluid has virons and if fluid containing virons goes directly into an open tear, its plain ole common sense that the virus has entered the body. Everyones entitled to their opinion no matter how wrong someone else may think it sounds.

God Bless America,,,Land That I love,,,Stand beside her and guide her.............
I strongly suspect that I got hep c thru sex with al girlfriend..so that makes it non monogamous
Once when we were making love,there was a tear on both sides which could have been the cause of transmission
New girl on the block here, but definitely not new to researching this disease. The occult issue really boggles my brain in many ways. Here's an abstract that found  HCV to be replicating in the liver ONLY! Can we even guess how many people are totally unaware they are harboring the HCV in this fashion? So strange...
Best wishes, Ginger~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2004, the Infectious Diseases Society of America.
Abstract Background.     There are patients in whom the etiology of long-standing abnormal results of liver-function tests is unknown (ALF-EU) after exclusion of all known causes of liver diseases. We analyzed the presence of hepatitis C virus (HCV) RNA in liver-biopsy specimens from 100 patients who were negative for anti-HCV antibodies and for serum HCV RNA and who had ALF-EU.Methods.     HCV RNA status was tested by reverse-transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) and by in situ hybridization, in liver and peripheral-blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs).Results.     HCV RNA was detected in liver-biopsy specimens from 57 of 100 patients negative for anti-HCV antibodies and for serum HCV RNA (i.e., who had occult HCV infection). HCV RNA of negative polarity was found in the liver of 48 (84.2%) of these 57 patients with occult HCV infection. Nucleotide-sequence analysis confirmed the specificity of detection of HCV RNA and that patients were infected with the HCV 1b genotype. Of these 57 patients with intrahepatic HCV RNA, 40 (70%) had viral RNA in their PBMCs. With regard to liver histology, patients with occult HCV infection were more likely to have necroinflammatory activity (P=.017) and fibrosis (P=.022) than were patients without intrahepatic HCV RNA.Conclusion.     Patients with ALF-EU may have intrahepatic HCV RNA in the absence of anti-HCV antibodies and of serum HCV RNA.
Thanks for that. Do you have a citation? If you do, would you post it?
Mike
Never mind, I found it.  http://tiny.cc/Tdu7u

And another: http://www.natap.org/2005/HCV/090505_10.htm

Mike
http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/resolve?id=doi:10.1086/380202&erFrom=5216546515949967931Guest

here's another article

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/563337_2

Thanks for those...

I've had enough fun for today.... : )

take care, Ginger
Thanks Ginger.

Here is a link that will shorten your links - URLs - so they won't run off the page.

http://www.tiny.cc/

Mike
I don't have the energy to comment, I'm tired, going to bed..BUT.. Btw I didn't say "Tear to Tear," I said "Tear," as in ONE tear. I don't believe you need 2 tears - ONLY one tear and infected bodily fluid - example - a mans infected bodily fluid

That statement doesn't make any sense. You would have to have the tear to let the infected blood out and then another abrasion or tear to let the infected blood in.....you can't really have a blood to blood borne virus without having the other portion of blood can you?

My doctor explainned to me the monogamy part...he said although it's absurd, the old fashion doctor believed if you had more than one partner ... that you were promiscuous and that promiscuous people practice kinkier / rougher sex and THAT is why they say "monogamous"...so if you take that into consideration (hey honestly I'm not a **** but I have been with more than 2 men in my life)...it's not really the AMOUNT of people it's the safeness of the sex you practice.

For example you could have one partner who is extremely violent and rough and practices anal sex and have a much better chance of getting the HCV than if you had five partners who were gentle.

This is how it was all explainned to me by the doctor and it made sense to me as it was spelled out.

But either way you do need to have blood to blood contact and that is why they tell people with HCV not to practice anal sex or sex during a woman's cycle and those things.

Alright, enough.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, enough.  You say "You can either get Hep C from sex or you can't".    You can only get HCV during sex if there's blood transmission and generally there isn't unless you're engaging in rougher forms of sex.   By your logic, we should also be saying you can get HCV from sharing a home cooked meal with someone or that you can get HCV from letting someone work on your computer.  Under both of these circumstances - preparing a meal with friends and repairing or working on computers, I've bled or had the potential to bleed which then creates a risk of HCV transmission.  Someone can get HCV from a computer I've worked on IF I've been careless, bled on the keyboard and didn't clean it up well or replace the thing entirely and IF it got into their bloodstream somehow..pretty much a longshot..but every time I cut myself working on the hardware of a computer that other people will touch, I think about this.  

Is it fair to say that "either you can get HCV from a computer fixed by an HCV person or you can't"  OR is it more fair to say  "you CAN, IF "

Is it fair to say that "either you can get HCV from a meal prepared by an HCV infected person or you can't".  OR is it MORE fair and accurate to say IF that person cut themself with a knife while preparing that meal and IF they bled onto the veggies and IF.... you can get HCV from a meal prepared by an HCV infected person.

Those are only two examples.  There are countless others.

It's NOT as simple as "you can either get HCV from sex or you can't."  There are conditions that must exist for that to be possible.  Frankly, I've never understood why multiple partners is supposed to increase the odds either rather than it being the kind of sex you engage in.  And nygirl7's comment makes sense to me.

If I've misunderstood your statement, please.  Straighten me out.  I'll be all too happy to eat crow with a red face.  Your statement as it is upsets me on certain levels as I've already encountered enoug stigma and misunderstanding in having to deal with people who think this is a sexually transmitted disease that it put me off of dating for awhile until I could sort out that whole issue of having to tell potential partners and how it impacts me when they react badly or jump to this conclusion and then INSIST they're right and that I'm misguided.  I had to step away from that for awhile.  

There is no clear cut answer to this question.  The odds are very low and most people that have had hep for a decade or even longer had no idea they had it.  Spouses test and are negative.  Once finding you have the disease is when you get parenoid and start watching everything you do.  I'm sure that if a woman is in her period and there was a cut,,,,could be possible but seems like I read somewhere that odds of catching through sex is like about 1%......I guess how lucky do you feel.
I actually argued with my primary-care doctor, who says that Hep C is transmissible through oral sex.  When I countered with what the CDC has to say on the matter (not even getting into the whole sex debacle, just talking about oral sex specifically--and not with a woman on her menses), he actually said the CDC doesn't know what they're talking about.  So I asked him if Hep C is considered to be an STD (if it's easily transmissible via oral sex, it should be even easier for vaginal & certainly anal sex).  He said it's not an STD.  Needless to say, I'm pretty stymied & steamed at his ignorance.  Upon further appointments with him, he'd kind of settled down, but still sticks to his guns on the ease with which Hep C is transmitted sexually--I guess ALL forms of sex, to him.  Ultimately, it doesn't matter how we got it, but more like when we got it & how well we're treating ourselves & dealing with it now.  I guess my main point is, there is lots of ignorance out there--even amongst doctors, who should know better!
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1773703

Thought this study was quite interesting.
Reading this really makes me wonder about the whole transmission issue, along with the sexual transmission rates. Def sounds like the slight chance of passing it sexually *could come into play, even in monagamous couples.The % in regards to spontaneous clearance of HCV AFTER it became chronic was a bit encourging though.
What I didn't like was the rate of family household transmissions they came up.

Here's just a short clip from the long article. Well worth the read if you're bored tonite... : )

Ginger

Background: Little is known of the incidence of hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection, and the frequency of spontaneous viral clearance in the general population is unknown. We conducted an epidemiological study in two Apennine towns in northern Italy.

Methods: Anti-HCV (ELISA and RIBA third generation) and HCV-RNA by polymerase chain reaction were tested in thawed sera from an adult general population of Loiano-Monghidoro in 1986 and 1996, obtained in the context of the MICOL (Multicenter Italian Study on Cholelithiasis). In 1999, anti-HCV positive subjects and sex and age matched controls were recalled in order to identify risk factors for acquiring HCV infection and to assess the family composition of anti-HCV+ subjects.

Results: For 1646 subjects, sera were available from both 1986 and 1996 (mean age in 1986 43 (0.39) years). In 1986, 57 (3.46%) subjects were HCV antibody positive (HCV-Ab+). Eight new cases were recorded in 1996: adult incidence was 50.3 cases/100 000 inhabitants/year. Fifty three of 63 (84.1%) HCV-Ab+ sera were also HCV-RNA+. Genotype 2a/2c accounted for 44% and 1b for 47.0% of cases. HCV-Ab+ subjects had higher serum levels of alanine aminotransferase with respect to controls (p<0.005), as did subjects infected with genotype 1 with respect to those with genotype 2 (p<0.05). Eleven of 65 (16.9%) HCV-Ab+ subjects spontaneously cleared HCV-Ab; 7/11 also lost HCV-RNA− in both serum and leucocytes. Sixteen anti-HCV+ subjects belonged to families containing more than one infected member. Married couples accounted for 10 of these 16 subjects. In four of these five married couples, HCV genotype was identical in the two spouses.

Conclusions: In rural northern Italy, the adult incidence of HCV is approximately 50 cases/100 000 inhabitants/year. Our findings suggest that as many as 17% of infected subjects may spontaneously clear HCV-Ab. Interfamilial transmission seems to have a role in the spread of infection.

Okay,,,>Alright Enough< is/was for me. I am tired of talking about it. I'm even tired of hearing myself but I did answer a few more posts and now again I say "alright enough".

You can believe what you want and so can I. I'm not adding to a stigma if thats your worry. I don't tell anyone I have hep so you don't have to concern yourself about that.

But, I can understand the worry and difficulty of being single and having hep C. I really can. And I do honestly feel bad for anyone in that position because of course people will be concerned when you tell them and might not want to date. But any of us (if we weren't infected) would have the same reaction if someone told us they had it.

Now for myself - I am married and so there is no pressure or worry of having to break the news to someone I would meet and possibly date. But my husband and I are in our 50's and at this age, who knows - God forbid something were to happen to my husband. I mean lets face it people drop dead of heart attacks whatever sometimes at this age. I could also find myself in the same position as you, meaning single. What would I do? I'd approach the subject alot different than probably most here. But at this age its a different story - been married, enjoyed it and its not like I have to even get involved with anyone again. I can fill my life with other things - my music and just tra - la - la through life.

And if I really did want to be with another man - to tell you the truth I would probably look for a Hep c dating service - really. I wouldn't want to be bothered with having to explain my disease to anyone or what it means to be SVR when that finally happens - (soon I hope)

So Trish I'm sorry if my view or opinion upset you. I really am. I truly understand how difficult it would be to be single with this disease and all of that. I can see it would be hard. But I always say let the person get to know you well and fall in love and then nothing matters. My husband loves me and even if this was "highly contagious" and was even airborne, he would still love me - not that I'm anything special, but I am to him. I know there are other men like him out there, so don't worry about any of the guys that didn't want to be with you because of hepatitus (hepatitis). The "right man" won't even care one bit that you have hepatitus (hepatitis) and hopefully you won't have it anyhow cause you'll be SVR.
Thanks for posting the article.  I read it all.  Here's an important part of their article with relation to their findings on interfamilial transmission.  I think it's important to keep it in context:

"Regarding interfamilial spread, our data based on genotype confirm the importance of domestic transmission of HCV infection. However, the finding that many of the cases of interfamilial spread involved siblings suggests that shared use of domestic objects (razors and other blades, toothbrushes, etc) may have played a more important role than sexual transmission. "

"Study of interfamilial spreading underscores the importance of non-sexual forms of transmission (blades, toothbrushes, etc). "
Please...I'm not feeling sorry for myself.  I see you wanting to say that HCV is sexually transmitted, period.  With no qualifiers to that.  And I think that does people with HCV a great disservice.  If you want to take full precautions, I support you in that.  You have the right to do what sits well with YOU.  But please don't turn that into distorting the facts by saying that HCV is sexually transmitted period.  It isn't.  The risk of sexual transmission of HCV is only if there is blood present and in such a way that it's able to enter the bloodstream of the other person.  Not simply from the act of exchanging bodily fluids period.  

It seems you're taking my remarks as if I have a problem with guys who don't want to date a person with HCV.  I don't.  Once I'd digested that I'm HCV positive and what it means to me, I decided that I would never hold it against a guy who decided that this was just too much risk for him.  Everyone decides what they're willing to risk and what they're willing to include in their lives and not me nor anyone has the right to decide that for anyone except themselves.  One guy I dated and disclosed to at least did his research.  He found conflicting information and in the end, decided that there was too much he didn't know and wasn't willing to risk that.  He was honest with me and I respected that.  We've remained friends and are very close friends actually and he's one of my biggest supporters.  So no...I don't hold such decisions against someone.  I'm not actually in agreement with the camp that says if they don't want to be with you then they aren't a decent person to begin with.  That's not actually fair to say.  Some things are simply too much for some people.  

What I get upset with are those who perpetuate the misconception that this is transmitted sexually as a matter of course and INSIST that and play a part in keeping that misconception going.  It's just simply not.  It wouldn't be any different than someone going around saying that cancer is contagious.  Anyone with cancer would be upset by someone perpetuating that as well.  

And on that, we'll have to agree to disagree.  You seem bent and determined to stick with saying that HCV is transmitted sexually, period.  I've had my say and I'll leave it at that.
it put me off of dating for awhile until I could sort out that whole issue of having to tell potential partners and how it impacts me when they react badly or jump to this conclusion and then INSIST they're right and that I'm misguided.  I had to step away from that for awhile.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That is what I based what and I why I said what I said. I don't twist people's words and did NOT think you were feeling sorry for yourself but felt you were expressing a concern of yours and I agreed and understood and answered with compassion because thats me- not out of feeling "sorry" for you. Compassion to me is just putting yourself in someone elses shoes and seeing it from their perspective. And thats what I did.

But anyhow. It can and does spread through sexual transmission and even studies show that.The percentage is what's in question - not IF its possible. Its not a 'gay sex' disease as some would like to lead us to believe. Straight people can - not always - get this thru sex. I mean really do you think that this became an EPIDEMIC thru toothbrushes and razors? Thats funny.

Good night.
Okay...we're clear on then on whether my comment was rooted in me feeling sorry for myself then and yes, I agree.  Your answer was compassionate.

As to the sexual transmission of HCV and it's impact on the existing levels of those infected...In Canada the incidence of HCV is apparently 1 in 100.  To me, it's like that because we don't screen as a matter of course for it.  Most of the people on this board, it seems to me, are finding out that they have HCV all these many years later.  For me, having found out just over a year ago, that's just over 20 years of raising my children without knowing to take precautions. My kids went and got tested and I was intensely relieved to know they were clear.  That's over 20 years of carrying on my life without knowing my blood was a problem.   There may be others out there who have HCV that came from me.  I hope I never know.   My boyfriend of 6 years was told and he doesn't have it.  

If you read the statistics, it is primarily spread through IV drug use and blood transmission.  The percentage of sexual transmission has been studied through monitoring the rate of transmission between monogamous couples who have been together for years.  That rate of transmission fluctuates between 1% and 5% from what I've read.  And out of that 1% to 5%, they don't break it down into how it was transmitted sexually or how they know even but they have put a number on it and I've seen that number used often, so for now I'll accept it.  I need to do more reading to understand it better.

I did not, never have, said that this became an epidemic through toothbrushes and razors. It was in a medical study that was ONLY pertaining to the transmission possibilities within families, as the majority of those co-infected were siblings.  Do YOU think they were having incestuous sex? (I'm not sure the epidemic word literally applies but I won't nitpick on that one. It's definitely a serious issue and that's a for sure.)

I got mine through either IV drug use or a blood transfusion when my daughter was born. I think that's much more of a common scenario.

The fact that that 1% - 5% figure exists means it's necessary for me to tell potential sexual partners of the risk and I do.  It's up to them to decide what they risk and how.  Not me.  I just know I have to steel myself to deal with the perception that this is a sexually transmitted disease as a matter of course.  I find myself educating whomever I tell to various degrees.  I didn't know how hard that would hit me mentally to go through that so I did step back from the dating scene for a bit and now I choose to stay away entirely until I'm done tx unless it literally falls into my lap.

I don't think this is a sex disease period, let alone a gay sex disease.  Yes, straight AND gay people can get HCV through sex but only if that sex creates a situation where there is blood transmission of some sort. There's very close body contact and the sort of activity from time to time that creates the potential for blood transmission between two people. For you to stop at the point of saying "you can get HCV by having sex'" is irresponsible and perpetuates the misunderstandings and stigma that persons with HCV are already dealing with.
I missed your comment that you were tired of discussing this.  Noticed it on a re-read.  I'll respect that and agree to disagree with you here.  
Look how many people have no idea how they got this disease...none of the regular markers of IV drug use or tattoos or whatever and you will realize it's an unknown which at this point in time is COMPLETELY unclear on either side of the coin.

It's best to take the safest root possible however - my last partner knew I had hepC and also knew the incidence of transmitting sexually was very low (yes obviously I did tell him when I was diagnosed) and we had no problem with it.  Some men will obviously have a problem with it.

It's a complete unknown with no proof positive anywhere.  It's possible but unlikely.

That means..................just be safe and enjoy your life - cause it's really all we can do in the end.

Deb
She's tired of talking about it so it must be enough already. Am I the only one who thinks that is hilarious?
Since I don't know any couples who both have the disease, other than IV users, I don't believe there is a significantly greater risk of sexual transmission that there is a a condom rupturing.

"How commonly do condoms split?
A few surveys have tried to find out how often condoms split, but have given wildly differing results. Here are some figures.

* The University of Sydney, Australia, ran a study of condom breakage in three brothels. They supplied the fresh condoms, together with forms to fill in if there was an accident and little plastic bags to put the torn condoms in so the researchers could analyse in the laboratory how and why they tore. Of the 1,269 condoms the sex workers used, only 6 were broken. Next, they did a survey of ordinary men, and found that their breakage rates were far higher – about 7%, including breakages while putting the condoms on (Lancet 1989; :1487-88)
    * A USA study asked 92 couples to keep a sex diary, totalling 4,637 condom usages. Six condoms split while being put on, and 13 split during sex – a total breakage rate of 0.41% (Contraception 1997;56:3-12)
    * French researchers did a telephone survey of 20,000 people, asking about condom breakages. The breakage rate seemed to be 3.4% (Am J Public Health 1997;87:421-4)."
http://www.embarrassingproblems.co.uk/condoms_b.htm

I figure if you having the type of rough sex that would result in skin tear then the condom is probably at risk of breaking and, perhaps even shredding, in the heat of the moment(s). Oh golly gee, that is a scary notion! Maybe absolute abstinence in all things - eating, sleeping, computering and...well, even that too - would be the only really safe way to live. Sounds worse than the disease to me.

Mike
You are right...sometimes the cure IS worse than the disease --- isn't that an expression?

Personally I like eating sleep computering and...and have no desire to give any of it up.  Well that's not exactly right...I'd have to get the "and" going back on again in my life first hahahahahaha.
If you dimiss breakage when putting a condom on (I assume you will pause and use one with more integrity) and the use of older or improperly stored condoms -- the breakage rate might fall below environmental risk factors such as during a medical procedure. The only condom I can remember breaking had been in my wallet for who knows how long in my late teens. (carried it everywhere 'just in case' LOL) It broke when I got lucky one night while putting it on, resulting in if I can remember correctly, a hurried trip to the drug store. Hopefully, responsible adults will use fresh condoms that have not been stored in wallets kept in the back pocket of jeans.
Size also may be a factor here Jim.
But regardless of that I'm glad you also aren't tired of talking about this because I think there is a lot left to discuss.
My condoms never lasted very long - like more than a day - when I was in my late teens. I always used them very soon after purchase....... they made very excellent water balloons.
Mike
You may be right, cause I've had no problems with my Magnum XL's recently. Perhaps the large size makes it easier for them to sew the seams tight.
Well you'd have to stop living completely to protect yourself from everything, wouldn't you.  No crossing the road so you don't get hit by a car, etc. etc.  We all choose how safe we want to live and what constitutes living.  I work with a guy who won't drive across town to our other office for a Christmas lunch because it's winter and the roads aren't great sometimes.  Wuddup wid dat??  I watch him live nice and safe.. keep his boat from rocking too much...and I think...what kind of existence is THAT?  But it makes him happier to live that way and he couldn't live like me and I couldn't live like him.  What would be crossing the line, however, would be for him to think everybody should live like him and for me to think that everybody should live like me (scary thought!).  I guess where I'm going with this... is that people have to be careful about making what's good for them into a universal truth.  
Ahh, never mind.
the above was my shortest post in history.
I am going to try those XL's. I bet they will make the biggest water balloons every. I can't wait. Thanks for the tip(sic). Mike
A lot of what you said made sense and the person who pointed out they need carefully wipe things they may have left traces of blood on too. And whoever it was that suggested the wearing of elbow pads to bed,just in case you bashed your partner's face while sleeping was a good one too. But do these things mean sexual transmisibility? I don't think so.

I think the CDC is so anti-sex (gay, of course, esp.) because of AIDS. They'd rather stigmatize another group of people with confusing and/or misinformation to scare people into wearing rubbers to avoid AIDS.

I'm personally amazed that this forum is the first place I've ever heard a ref. to sex w/ a woman on her menses (c'mon duh).

And though a couple persons refered to going to a hep c positive dating service (the boys probably have their own bathhouses by now). it's feasible but not my thing - I'd rather stay celibate.

And I have been celibate now near 15 years (I'm 53) and the misinformation out there which has most people believing it to be an STD is the primary reason. I was quite active when I was younger (so at least I'm far from dying a virgin). It was many years before I realized I was infected -15? After diagnosis, I contacted all my former partners and none had aquired the disease.

This thread is also sorta het-dominated (I'm a dyke) but it doesn't really matter. BLOOD TO BLOOD. BLOOD TO BLOOD.

And no, I don't think it became epidemic through razors and toothbrushes. I had a blood transfusion in'75. I got tattoed that year as well. And I shared plenty of needles some years after that.

But- poor girls, I've withdrawn due to this anti-sex crusade and the fact I have scruples that would not allow me to deny a potential partner the right to make her own decision- and all there is B.S. for her to base her decision on...............bummer.