Hepatitis Social Community
Hepatitis B or C transmission

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

Hepatitis B or C transmission

Hi guyss,
I have just recently been through a lot of stress in my life with blood-bourne pathogens and I just think that I need to know other's opinion's.

Is it possible to get hep b or c from unchlorinated swimming pool water?

If someone who was bleeding touched their wounds with their hands and then touch a doorknob or someone else's laptop could the person who touches the laptop get hep b or c if they touch the certain area and then touch their eye without washing their hands?
"Is it possible to get hep b or c from unchlorinated swimming pool water?"
No. Hepatitis is a blood to blood disease.

"If someone who was bleeding touched their wounds with their hands and then touch a doorknob or someone else's laptop could the person who touches the laptop get hep b or c if they touch the certain area and then touch their eye without washing their hands?"
No. Hepatitis is a blood to blood disease. The blood of an infected person must mix with the blood of the non-infected person.

How is Hepatitis C spread?

Hepatitis C is spread when blood from a person infected with the Hepatitis C virus enters the body of someone who is not infected. Today, most people become infected with the Hepatitis C virus by sharing needles or other equipment to inject drugs. Before 1992, when widespread screening of the blood supply began in the United States, Hepatitis C was also commonly spread through blood transfusions and organ transplants.
People can become infected with the Hepatitis C virus during such activities as

Sharing needles, syringes, or other equipment to inject drugs
Needlestick injuries in health care settings
Being born to a mother who has Hepatitis C

Less commonly, a person can also get Hepatitis C virus infection through

Sharing personal care items that may have come in contact with another person’s blood, such as razors or toothbrushes
Having sexual contact with a person infected with the Hepatitis C virus (HCV is NOT a STD).

Hector
For information on hepatitis B please post your question in the Hepatitis B Community.

Hector.
Hi hector, so you are saying that if someone with infected hepatitis c blood touched my laptop with their hands and their hands had blood although it wasn't visible but I know they got blood on their hands as they were touching their bleeding wound onto my laptop and I touched this area with my hand which had a small cut or two can transmit HCV? Or if I touched my eyes or mouth with my hands which came in contact with this blood? I put soap and hand sanitizer on it but I heard that it cannot kill viruses like HCV or HBV?
As I was observing, one of my pupils was working in a centre, where HIV kids were taken care of. My student was very worried as he was playing with the kids in the swimming pool (self-made, without chemicals such as chlorine or anything) and he was working with them to increase awareness and reduce the stigma upon society. He is currently is very scared that he contracted HIV or any other diseases while holding the kids up in the pool in various areas and as he had to hold them, he might have had contact with a wound or two. He is really worried as he had a small shaving cut approximately 3-4 hours (is it considered healed by then) and also a scab on his ear, and various small skin tears or scratches beside his finger nails which could have maybe a point of entry as he entered the water and usually scabs get wet and start to bleed. Is he at any risk, and I have seen that small nicks and cuts do not allow HIV to be transmitted but why do various other forums and websites say so, also what would happen if these cuts were slightly bleeding still, but were still very very small and the bleeding had basically decreased to nothing.  He took a test at 10 weeks both hepatitis b and c were negative and hiv are these conclusive? This was what also happened which caused me to get really worried about other instances that occurred. Because many HIV+ people have HCV or HBV and he had a small cut which could have come in contact with microscopic blood is this possible or not at all as most websites mention that chlorine would kill the viruses but there was none present.