Hepatitis Social Community
Hepatitis C and Upper left abdominal pain

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

I was recently diagnozed with Hepatitis C.  I've also had pain in the upper left abdomen area which moves around - under rib cage, to the back, below the ribs, etc.  Could this be related to the Hep C and what is this a sign of?  I've had some x-rays done and they came back clear.
By X-ray to you mean an upper GI ? What does your doc say ?
Just a regular X-ray.  I have a scheduled ultrasound next week.  There is more testing to be done but I was wondeing if anyone else has the same side effects of the virus.
Hi, I don't know about the left side. If you had said  right side I'd agree to having the same pains. Perhaps it could be spleen????
Cathi
I have that same pain on the left.  Actually it's almost more like pressure than pain. It's mostly under my ribs.  Doctor has no idea what it is.
I had the pain on the left side but it didn't radiate to my back. I thought it was my spleen or the overlap of the liver to the left side. Not a very scientific answer.
how's your platelet count?
Bug
Thank you all for your responses.  It makes you feel like you are not alone.  I am having an ultra sound done today and a colonoscopy on Thursday.  It is better to get to the bottom of this.  I read somewhere that the Hep C can affect your GI track.  This whole thing is a little scary but we have to stay strong and positive.  You asked me what my platelet count is?  Is this the same as the viral load or something else?  What does it mean?  Sorry , I am new to this and not very versed on the subject yet...Hope you all are having a great Monday.
When the spleen enlarges, it traps and stores an excessive number of blood cells and platelets (hypersplenism), thereby reducing the number of blood cells and platelets in the bloodstream. This process creates a vicious circle: the more cells and platelets the spleen traps, the larger it grows; the larger it grows, the more cells and platelets it traps. Eventually, the greatly enlarged spleen also traps normal red blood cells, destroying them along with the abnormal ones. In addition, excessive numbers of blood cells and platelets can clog the spleen, interfering with its functioning.

Symptoms

An enlarged spleen does not cause many symptoms, and the symptoms that it does cause may be mistaken for many other medical conditions. Because the enlarged spleen lies next to the stomach and sometimes presses against it, a person may feel full after eating a small snack or even without eating. A person may also have abdominal or back pain in the area of the spleen; the pain may spread to the left shoulder, especially if parts of the spleen do not get enough blood and start to die
I'm not a dr! I just wanted you to know why I asked the spleen question. I have no medical degree, just what I read--don't let my little bit of knowledge scare you, it's probably unrelated!
Bug
Thanks for the info.  I had an ultrasound yesterday and they said all looked normal, nothing was mentioned about an enlarged spleen.  But that I know this, I will ask again if we can look further into it.  
How are you doing, how do you like the peg/800?  Is this peginterferon - alfa 2a?  I saw an article on Forbes last night on "Cure for Hep C" that mentions this drug as very effective regardless of genotype.
Has anyone experienced any scar tissue under the skin becoming enlarged and sore for the treatment?