Hepatitis Social Community
Hepatitis C from dentist office

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

Hepatitis C from dentist office

I was in a HCV training yesterday when the news broke about the dentist. I live in Tulsa and was with the OK Health Dept and Alan Franciscus from hepcadvocate at the seminar.
One of the teachers I work with has to take her daughter in for testing because the dentist in question removed her wisdom teeth.
I thought it was ironic that while a large group of HCV health care workers were learning about prevention and tx, this story was breaking in our own city.
Geez. What was he thinking? It makes me wonder about my own experience. I've had dental work before Universal Precautions were in effect. Did I get it that way? Did it get passed on? It's a big story in our city right now. I'm feeling some anger and just needed to vent.
xoxo to you all. Karen:)
Karen:)
I left you a note awhile ago to see if you lived in Tulsa. Not concerning this story. But my husband is from Tulsa. I'm going to contact his brother because I figured this would be pretty big talk. I'd like everyone to know and maybe many, many of you already do know. Tulsa is a very strong community with very educated people. This is my impression. It was always a joke in my family calling q the okie. (It probably always will be karen ha!) But even the surrounding areas. I can't explain it. There's an energy and a warmth that just seems so easy to be around. I'm sure this story has everyone wondering HOW???  I want to find out more details. Just can't grasp it. Seems like it would  come from somewhere we had never heard of. Wow Karen!!      Kitty
Hi Karen, how ya doing???  When my wife and I saw this we just couldn't hardly believe this story, its just so insane. Seems like every now and then we hear about some chucklehead infecting people on purpose and for those of us that have this and done the tx's just kind of makes us wanna string em up by the,,,,, well you know.....

anyway take care
Gene
Thanks! A part of me is totally embarrassed. Okie's do have a red-nick reputation. Tulsa is a lovely city and I'm proud to call it home.  I've lived around the country and traveled a lot. I think we're friendly, glad to know you kind of people. Most of us would give you the shirt off of our back in a split second if we thought it would help you.
As I've listened to people talk today, it has brought up a different side for me. I hear people talking about HCV at the grocery store, in the teacher's lounge, and while pumping gas. It is creating awareness. May is Hepatitis C awareness month. That is a lame attempt at looking on the bright side. There IS NO bright side to this.
It was at a great price. Not asked for and definitely not welcomed for so many people. My friend at work was really devastated. Her daughter had wisdom teeth removed there. She has a brand new baby. This is awful for them, and the thousands of others who are wondering tonight. sigh. I'm wondering how they set that 7 year cap on who was to be tested?
Anger rising again, Karen:)
Karen, I just read this story online and it does bring on the anger.  Something so preventable has resulted in a tremendous amount of stress, costs and unnecessary pain for the 7,000 or so potentially impacted.  The oral surgeon's procedure for sterilizing the equipment and other office practices should have been caught or questioned much earlier, but at least its no longer going on.   The only good thing to come of this is better awareness of HCV and HIV, but at such a cost to those involved.  Hope the teacher's daughter comes back negative for all tests done.