Hepatitis Social Community
Herbals

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

Herbals

I read in the "Dummies" book an alternative treatment for keeping the the fire down in our livers.....this is not a cure.

Two of the herbals that interest me are ginseng for energy & schisandra for liver health.
Anyone had experience or know anything about these two?

When I failed, the clinic told me to take milk thistle now & D3 from October to April. I'd like to know if it's worth anything to add these or am I just wasting my time......
Hey MewithC....good to see you around again!  I am surprised your Dr told you to take milk thistle?  There are so many threads on this forum about milk thistle and the conclusions seemed to be that there was no added benefit in taking it.  I am just curious about their reasoning in taking it?

Hope you are doing well :)

Jules
They told me it reduces inflammation of the liver.
When they said that to me, I replied it's a wive's tale, which they immediately replied, "it's been proven to reduce inflammation of the liver."

It does nothing for hepatitis, but aids the liver.

If you were to read about this schisandra stuff....it looks like the wonder herb & why don't we take it. Doctors won't endorse it due to liability & no FDA approval, but then again, the FDA doesn't approve herbs.
So, here i am inquiring about it......again.
http://www.drugs.com/npp/schisandra.html

*********************************

Interesting...but never heard of it. I tried to copy it but it was too long.
This is the site I first found....difficult to find someone to recommend it

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-376-SCHISANDRA.aspx?activeIngredientId=376&activeIngredientName=SCHISANDRA
I have heard of it and it is a good liver herb. Because these herbs do nothing to fight the virus, I tend to minimize their use on the forum, but your Dr. is correct that some of these herbs are very helpful in supporting the liver otherwise. Just be careful that your Dr. approves them and that they are put out by a reputable company. Good luck to you.
I hope you get hooked up with the new orals soon.
Thanks....I guess I'm just getting itchy waiting......
I'd be fine if I didn't take them...