Hepatitis Social Community
Horrible Scalp Itching

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

Horrible Scalp Itching

My scalp itching is way out of control. Between the dryness inside my ears and constantly itching my scalp I cant stop.
Does anyone have a remedy to soothe this? Its not tolerable whatsoever.

Charm27
You should see a dermatologist for proper diagnosis which will determine the correct treatment. I had similar on treatment and it turned out to be psoriasis. Yours may be different. Do not treat yourself using topical steroids unless under the direct supervision of a dermatologist as you can end up doing more harm than good.

-- Jim
Thanks. This started a couple of weeks into tx and I have literally been scratching my head 10 hours a day...in addition my hair is starting to thin so it is probably severe dry skin due to tx.
I will probaably have no choice but to go to a dermaologist if this keep up.
Thank you
Charm27
I used Nioxin products on my head during the first round if treatment.  I personally think they smell awful but they do wonderful things for the scalp.  I used the Number 2 kit (shampoo, conditioner and scalp treatment).  It's a bit pricey but it did work for me.  I'll probably use it again this round when I get to that point.

Mouse
P.S.  If you have a super WallyWorld near you that has a salon, they carry the Nioxin line.

I have no idea how I still have hair as it sure is shedding, but seems to be still growing too? VERY brittle tho.

Mouse...JUST used Nioxin this AM and said to myself..."this sheet stinks", LOL. Glad to hear it's not just me. Hope your doing good, hanging on!

Charm, have heard to use that also and take biotin, but than heard biotin is bad for the liver? Want to take it tho, watched a friend (gave her mine) with really thin, brittle hair take it for 2-3mths now and her hair looks great now!

Do we have to send you some 'no scratch' baby gloves on a larger size :} ??

LL
Don't shampoo more than once a week, don't use hair products, take warm not hot showers.

I've heard about the nioxin but i shampoo once every 2 weeks now so the itching isn't bad.

wyn
I know what you mean - THIS TX MAKES MY HAIR HURT.  This started about 3 weeks back (week 17).  For me its not an itchy feeling, it HURTS, right at the roots.   Its coming out in double handfuls and whats left is brittle as all hell.  Whenever I wash it (not too often) I pull enough out of the drain to make a doll wig. I'm amazed there's any left on my head but it still have quite a lot.  When I lost hair for cancer chemo it sure never felt like this. (good thing cause those cancer drugs make ALL your hair fall out, every hair on yer whole body!)

Seems like the only thing that helps is really light touch fingertip massage.  I've been told to massage in warm mineral oil but haven't tried that yet - don't want to have to shampoo it that often.  Try light massage but no scratching.

JD
Charm, I'm traveling and don't have a good internet connection.  Look at any chemo site and they mostly all say, gentle, gentle baby shampoo.  Anything else is a waste and the Nioxin can often make your hair brittle.   The hair is going to fall out regardless but the baby shampoo is more gentle on the scalp and your hair.  I also bought Scalpacin, not sure about the spelling, but it's an over the counter scalp itch product  I kept it by my bedside.  It works, I promise.
Lonestar,
Thanks for the advice. Hope your enjoying your traveling. How wonderful is that!
Yep the hair is falling out now....nothing I can do but will make a trip to the drugstore
and check it out. Thank you.

Enjoy yourself!
Charm
sorry your going thru the same ordeal. Horrible isnt it. My hair hurts at the roots too..weird stuff. My hair isnt brittle yet its just flying away!

Oh well..nothig we can do bout this either.
Feel better at least the hair will grow back.

Just the itching is awful and embarassing to be out and constantly scratching! lol
I got the itchy scalp which turned into psoriasis back at week 4 or so.

I have 2 different shampoos that I alternate using
and they work great.  I use dermarest shampoo for
psoriasis.  It has salicilic acid which gets rid of any flakes and makes the itch subside.  I leave it on till it burns a bit (about 3 minutes) and rinse.  I use it now once every 7-10 days but in the begining I used it 3 times a week.
(Try to just use it on your scalp, not your hair as it is harsh.)

I also use Head and Shoulders 2 in1,
(Because of work, I do wash my hair daily, sometimes every other day)
I try to only wash my scalp not my hair.  My hair is long and dry now because of tx.  I've cut it to about mid back but I may go shorter .  I just have to have it long enough to put up for work
(No layers)

I always use a conditioner daily on my hair-I try to avoid my scalp.
I like Fructis #3 in the jar or the moisture works in the bottle.
Assie 3 minute miracle is also good for cheap conditioners.

Head and shoulders has also come out with a conditioner which I tried and I like very much.  My head does not itch anymore and the flakes and dryness are just about gone. (Week 21)

Being an ex- hairdresser for many years, I know that when
I say NOT washing your scalp/hair will cause it to itch.

You gotta find that happy medium.

A shampoo with tea tree oil will also help.

Thanks so much for ALL your helpful hints.
I truly appreciate your help and at this point will try it.

Feel Good & Here's to stopping the itchies!!
Its been horrible.

:}
Charm