How did I get Hep C?
I'm wondering how I got hep C.  I have NEVER done drugs and, I especially wouldn't do injectable anything. I did however give plasma.  I wonder whether the plasma center caused my contraction?

1
1. I gave blood or plasma in the 1980's

0
2. I had unprotected sex in the 1980

2
3. I was a drug user

6
4. I have no idea how I contracted Hep C
Are you asking how YOU got hep C or how others on the forum, got hep C ?

I think your poll is flawed. First of all hep C is not an STD, only rarely is transmission via sex as it is transmitted via blood to blood.
You leave out other ways people can contract the virus.

it doens't matter at all how you got it, you will never know the only good thing is that you found out you have it so you can treat it.

Whether you got it from a dentist or plasma or drugs or a nail salon.........all a moot point.
I guess I am wondering how taking a poll would give  you any indication of how  "YOU" contracted HCV.
Frankly, I believe the important thing at this point is that you are treatiing it and focus on such.

Best of luck with your treatment..
Will

Oy vey. I went through that phase when I discovered I had HCV.  

The more I learn the less likely my first (and my obvious) case scenario is.

Things often make more sense once you read more, learn more and interact with others. That in no way means they fall into place but your perspective changes. Hang in there!!
Yes, I wondered how I got hep c too. Must say, that was too stressful and a waste of time. Now, my focus is fighting the disease with tx.
C
Toilet seat.
You to huh?
When you first get diagnosed, it is common to become obsessive about how you got it....the further down the road you get, the less important it becomes.  Then just getting rid of it becomes much more important.

Maybe you can tell me how i got my hep C...I never injected drugs, and Sex isn't really an option for getting Hep C, but I have been with 2 people in the last 32 yrs, so even if it was an option, it wouldn't be mine.  I don't have any tatoo's, I have peirced ears which i did myself...

I did snort some coke in the 80's, my mother has Hep C, I had a blood transfusion when I was 11 (40 yrs ago), I had very bad flu like symptoms when i had my 1st son, so could have been from the hospita where I had himl, and I worked in a doctors office for a few yrs, but have no recollection of being punctured with a needle at that time.

Of course it could have been from a dentist visit, or possibly a pedi/manicure (but hardly ever do those)...those are just the things I can think of off the top of my head.  ...

Go ahead and pick one, i'll go with that...

A person could go crazy trying to figure out when and how they got it...spend your energy on getting cured :)
"I have NEVER done drugs and, I especially wouldn't do injectable anything"

Then why ask if you got it from being a drug user ?

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

ditto all the previous comments

it can be an obsession to begin with

and complete waste of time and precious energy

another point though I have not seen raised though:

why should it matter?

as in the case of HIV or any other disease

does contracting it one way or another make us somehow more deserving?  

does it make it any easier to bare the burden?

listen to all of these wise comments

use your energy for something more productive

such as staying healthy and exploring treatment options

best luck.
don't focus on the how, just think about how to rid yourself of this horrible virus.  good luck with your future.  belle
Lol...thanks for noticing;p
I know exactly when I contracted because it appeared as jaundice first. I turned yellow as a bee. And at the time they did not know how to classify it. It was in the year of 1978
I don't think it really matters how anyone got their HepC at all.  If it matters to you, then go with the plasma center.  Maybe they used an infected needle, who knows?  good luck on getting rid of it.  
I thought it was more likely to be infected by receiving plasma than donating it?
Since being diagnosed in 1996 I came up with 3 ways since "69" that I could of gotten infected.Instead of pointing fingers,I am concentrating on getting rid of it instead of finding out just how I got it.
That's funny.  I like your answer! It helped me laugh.  I agree with all the statements people have given.  It's nice to know other's are experiencing the same.  I am finished with incivek!  Hurray
Congratulations and good luck!!!

Mike
Thank you all for giving me some perspective on this issue. I too was spending too much thought, even re-questioning the source of my HIV coinfection. Since I'm about to begin HCV tx, you are quite right--I need to focus on that and forget about what cannot be changed and no longer matters.
Gawd, I remember that phase too. Since I work in the health care field, I was pretty sure on the "how" -just not the "when". I had such a pathetic knowledge level about hep c that I'd bought into the stigmas, worried that if the outside world found out, they'd think I was a drug user and that I was contaminated and dangerous -and believing that myself.... I really thought it was like terminal cancer and that I was on borrowed time. Thankfully, after I went through a very unnecessary grieving period, I began to educate myself and found forums like this with the "been there, done that, wrote the book" folks on it.
I'm happy to say that my liver biopsy showed minimal damage and that, after txing, I am now 4 years SVR -and that dragon has no sign of life!
No, it wasn't easy, but I came out the other side a changed person. I no longer take life and close relationships for granted and I appreciate each day for what it has to offer. I live my life in such a way that it brings joy to myself and to those around me. I love my new life. I hope you are equally blessed after emerging from your experience. ((((HUGZ)))) ~MM