Hepatitis Social Community
Hurricane Gustav

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

Hurricane Gustav

It's devastating to see any area hit with a hurricane of this strength, to see it headed towards New Orleans, the same area's as Katrina is just awful. I know RGlass is in La., anyone else here in the path of Gustav please post in and if it's heading right at your area in the next few days, please find a poster to give contact info. to. The same goes for Hannah as it approaches west, towards Fl.
  All you Fl. Posters…. I am in central Fl., safer than the coast or south Fl. If anyone needs to head out of harms way, needs a hand, room, whatever, please PM me.
I am glued to the weather channels thru this. I feel so bad for all those evacuating, going through this again.
Please don’t think you can stay put through these hurricanes! If it turns this way, I’m heading north with family and animals. Just the tropical storms, weakened hurricanes have torn our area up, left us without electric for days, blocked out of our roads (tree’s) and caused incredible damage.

Everyone please stay safe!

LL
I believe we have a few members from La and agree extreme caution should be taken by all...Also , watch out for energy prices, could be the nail in the bush economy coffin..
Excellent site for tracking gom o&g infrastructure and hurricane impact
http://www.theoildrum.com/node/4468

PS: hope you aches and pains begin to lighten up...Am in the same boat, although my hips have been doing a bit better as of late, why-I don't know (g)..best of luck with you 6 month post pcr...My blodd draw is coming up next week, fingers crossed..
Pro...who is off to fill up with diesel, should be able to squeeze 100 gals in the ol truckster (harpooned dual tanks)
.....:^(
This is devastating news and I sincerely pray for everyone's safety. It's better to get out than stay... better safe than sorry. God bless you all!!!

Marcia
We have “Buckled Down the Hatch” and test ran the Generator. If we loose power or should I say when we loose power, I can run my laptop from my truck. I will update ya’ll. I have a Verizon Card for it. Hopefully the towers won’t be down like they were with Katrina.
Andrew and Katrina were hell but we made it all right.
We are the Mouth of The Mississippi River; this literally makes us The Anal Passage Way of the U.S.
I guess the Gods feel we need a Good Washing every now and then.
R. Glass
hoping and praying that all of you down in there are safe...R. Glass i will keep you in my prayers...

peace
rita
Thanks Rita
I've got my Hurricane Kit up and running, as the good Girl Scout I am...seriously, I was a girl scout!  I even have my car tank topped off.   I'm sending my donation into the charity of my choice for the storm relief effort in LA.   Susan400
So, I'm curious...I'm prepared for power outages,snow, earthquakes, Sunamis, lahars, wildfires, and volcanic eruptions...What do you do for a hurricaine? I seriously doubt I'll ever see anything like that here (Wa state), but if I were to travel...Would anything in particular be the most useful (besides the obvious food, water, toilet paper...)? (Pardon my ignorance on this...) Thanks! Stay safe everyone and check in when you can!
                                                                               ~Melinda
Flashlights and extra batteries, non-perishable food items and a way to heat them, like a camp stove, sterno, etc.  Lots and lots of bottled water because the water many times becomes unusable.  If you have the ability to have a generator, or stay with someone with a generator.  If you can, be in a place where the windows can be boarded up, or that has hurricane shutters.  Don't swim in the water at the time immediately before, during or after the storm because rip currents have killed people.  Stay out of flooded water because of downed power lines, snakes and gators and sewer water contains bacteria in it.  Have mosquito repellent because of the mosquito overload.  Say your prayers.  Take your important papers and put them into a waterproof container of some sort and place them on the highest shelf in your residence in case of flooding.   Oh yes, and as you said, toilet paper!!   If you're traveling, most of these things would probably not apply to you and w/a hurricane you usually have enough notice to change your travel plans and stay out of the zone.   Susan
Thanks! Geeze, I wouldn't have thought of the water critters...(Shudder)...Some good tips! Thanks for the info!                                                          ~Melinda
P.S. You weather this thing okay? Did you have to relocate? Take care!
We are on the Backside of the storm now. We took a beating but we are alright and intire city is out of power and expecting 12" rain . In Laws took a tree through their house. We are about to go under curfew.I will check in later with an update
Keeping you and your family in my prayers that you all come through this with no further damage.  Thanks for keeping us posted.  Stay safe and best of luck to you--God bless

Isobella
PLEASE keep us all updated on how you are doing due the hurricane. I know you in the line of fire so check in as often as u can
This seems to happen every year. Wierd.
Anybody try that new waterproof TP made outta white plastic? It's called RescuSmudge. I hear Halliburton has the exclusive contract to sell millions of case to FEMA.

Stay safe everyone.  
Sorry to hear about your in laws home. That's terrible!

Stay safe!

Marcia

Hope the rest of you are okay.
No word yet on when power will be restored. A neighbor said the National News is reporting about 1 million is without power in the state. Local News is saying about 700,000 is without power in Baton Rouge and surrounding areas alone. I don’t know where the 1 million comes from If you are lucky enough to get a cell phone to work, all you get is a recording from the elect co., saying it may take a week to restore power in some areas. The dog loves it because with no TV and limited computer use, he is getting a lot of attention. I will check in every now and then, for some reason my Verizon card works but the cell phone doesn’t. I wish the Ahole would come down my street and ask “can you hear me now”
thanks for the update
It’s starting to get ugly. People are running out of gas for our generators. The stations that have power are sold out. I have enough to get through tomorrow morning. A friend and me may drive to Mississippi tomorrow morning to re-fuel.
wish the Ahole would come down my street and ask “can you hear me now” ......

LOL!!! That was perfect!

Glad you made it thru ok, tho being without electric for days isn't too fun. We went 11 days 3 yrs. ago. Yes, people do get ugly, don't they? So much for 'do unto others' aye?

It didn't do as much damage as all were afraid of, so that is good. Hope you get power soon and don't have to fight for fuel!

Can I just change this title to "Hurricane Hannah" now?

LL

Might as well because it looks like it is your turn now.
Glad to see you survived. Looks like the next one goes up the front this time.
Sorry to hear you are still without power.  The worst part of the storm sometimes is afterwards.  Glad you made it thru-now just stay safe!

I am wishing they didn't have Hanna heading staight for N FL again :-(  We're still soggy from Fay.  
Bush Visited Baton Rouge today WHOOP DE DOOO.
Glad everything did come out good for you.. my prayers were with you..

Lynn (tahoeunicorn)
Sounds like Hurricane Ike won't be much fun either - what a year so far...

Ike was on course to pummel the Bahamas Saturday and Sunday before possibly slamming into Cuba, another island nation recently battered by this hurricane season's conga line of storms.

Ike is then forecast to make landfall in south Florida on Wednesday as a major hurricane, Castillo warned.

Densely populated south Florida, including the cities of Miami and Fort Lauderdale, has not been hit by a major hurricane since Hurricane Andrew in 1992 -- the costliest natural disaster in US history until it was topped by Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

Ike was downgraded slightly Friday but remained a "major hurricane" as it churned over the western Atlantic, with sustained winds of 185 kilometers (115 miles) per hour -- a category three on the five-level Saffir-Simpson scale, the NHC said.

As of 0600 GMT Saturday, Ike was 530 kilometers (330 miles) northeast of Grand Turk Island and was moving southwest at about 26 kilometers (16 miles) per hour, the NHC said.
Entergy (Power Company) says our power may be restored by Monday. Just in time for Ike to hit the Gulf and Re-Group.

Since Gustav missed New Orleans, it is getting very little media coverage. Entergy said it will probably go down in the record books for causing the most State Wide Damage.

I wish the best for everyone in South Florida. If you haven’t left yet, PLEASE LEAVE NOW
I just pulled up The National Hurricane Center and it looks like you guys may get a “By” on this one. Saw a report yesterday that looked like you were going to get a direct hit. Keep an eye on it and be safe
Please everyone be safe, hope you are all are misssed!  Charm and all  be praying and worrying about you.

Deb
Gustav is in the Carolinas already causing lots of rainfall.
Thank Deb for your concern for me and everyone here. You are always
so supportive in every way! We all love ya!!

Ike was a scare for awhile but so far they think its possible we will see tropical storms from it......No direct hit.....

We shall see!

You take care and thanKS Deb....
If its not the quakes its hurricanes, mudslides, hurricanes and blizzards...
and let not forget a tsunami- LOL

Have a good weeekend!
Hurricane Ike is looking the scary one now though - if the national huricane center is right - extrapolating the line out, it is also on target for New Orleans.
Another thing that you have to watch in the Hurricane's is for the Tornado's that are spawn off of the Hurricans. They are just as dangerous. Every one in the south and the SouthEast PLEASE be careful and try to stay as safe as possible..
All of yall have been my lifeline at times and don't want to lose any of you.
STAY SAFE

My Prayers are with all of you but especially the people who live in the south and south-east.

Lynn (tahoeunicorn)  
Lord! Ike is a category 4 now!

Been busy past few days, hadn't see that! These hurricanes are taking a lot of lifes in Cuba, Haiti, etc and this one is looking bad!

Charm, I don't know why I always think your in Ca. ! I think that got stuck in my head early in tx and stays there! Are you south, central, north Fl ?

RGlass, your still without power? That's rough, sorry about that! Ike is looking bad :(

All stay safe. Your right Tahoe....tornados tore up the Villages (where I work) 2 yrs. ago and seen a lot of damage near us with those.

LL
Hey guys! Laur Im In South FLorida...Hopefully Ike w ill go to the south of us and we will
just get wind and rain no direct hit. THis storm is catastrophic. Bad.

Love to all o fyou. Stay safe,
So how is everyone doing with Ike?

I've been out of town - first road trip to San Fran area to see family...was good but very humiliating using the wheelchair in the airport.

Think I'll make a new post about the neuropathy thing....

mikmoe