Hepatitis Social Community
IS RIBA RAGE REAL

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

IS RIBA RAGE REAL

I really blew it yesterday.  I went off the deep end.  I ruined everything.
Had problems with stepson in the past, which he no longer lives here.  When he was here it was horrible.  My husband decided to invite him over to work things out.  The problem is his girl friend and my mother in law joined him.  My daughter can't stand the girl friend because she's a thief and stoled form the.  personally I don't like her either.  Bla BLa .  I really don't even want to talk about it.
there's more to add , but yuck.
Needless to say I wacked.  Told her she had no business being here, as well of
confronting her on her thievery and drug usage in my home.
My oldest lost control and almost beat the hell out of her.  yes I know this is wrong,but she hates her.  She stoled many things from our house.  My husband and his mother fell we should just forget about it and move on to get the family back together.
Is it the riba doing this to me or am I just a hateful BIT**
I really want to know.  My husband is leaving me because of this and tells me to stop treatment because I'm making everyone miserable.
Sorry to be so pathetic.
I really just want infor about riba rage to show and explain my behavior.  He feels there is no excuse.
I did refuse to go outside to the patio originally,but my husband sent his mother in to get me out there.  I tried to explain with the meds I'm it wouldn't be a good idea.  she wouldn't take no for an answer.
IT WAS A NIGHTMARE.  and I can't take it back.
Maybe I should just quit after 12 weeks
Missy  11/48

Yes, Missy, there is Riba Rage.  It exists as cetainly as flu like symptoms and decreasing hemoglobin and you know that the effects of medications that you are taking are real and are affecting you.  It would be a dreary life if there were no hope against this insidiuos maladay we share.  There would be no hope, no faith and no companioship and understanding that we share at this place.

Not believe in Riba Rage? You may as well not believe in the toxcicity of the drugs that we take or the bone aches, or the shakes and the sweats and the lost restful sleep. No Riba Rage? How would our current world be complete?  Now, get out there and kick some serious ass.

(with apologies to Francis Church and, of course, Virginia)
I believe the Riba rage is real, but the whole treatment makes our moods about like a preganant woman!  I'm serious, the majority of us have noticed a huge difference in the way we react to things when we're on treatment.  But, looking back on things, off of treatment, I realize that things aggravated me all along, but when I wasn't on the meds, I had the ability to cope with it.  The meds just churned up what was bothering me already.  What I'm saying is that these these are issues in and off themselves and your tolerance level is just not there with being on treatment, you know?   I hope this makes since.  Take care.  Take a time out.  Sometimes just going to the park, talking to a friend, listening to some music that you like, eat some ice cream, etc., will make you get your mind in a better place.  If you pray, that helps.

Susan
Trust me it
If you check out the pamphlet that comes with your meds you'll see a section called Neuropsychiatric reactions.  

The (possible) adverse SX include;

depression
homicidal ideation
aggressive behavior
psychosis
mania
bipolar disorders

I am a very calm person (pre-tx).  You have to be calm to handle birds  (I have parrots).  I've contemplated finding homes for the flock since starting TX.  (OF course, i won't)

I also started seeing a therapist and when that wasn't working I went on prozac.

Riba Rage IS REAL!

Wyntre

ps - (tell your husband to read the pamphlet)
missy -
yes, i had more than several embarrassing experiences, but only two major blowups.  i am certain my family was ready to disown me, my barely adult children about ready to leave, one announced she was moving out, leaving one.

relates to the question posted earlier by one does anyone have teenagers while on tx.  yes it is so difficult, mostly cause they don't understand. mine were not behaviorally uncooperative, just didn't have a clue.

when i ended tx. the one who announced she was leaving began to see the financial benefit of staying home and contributing toward the rent.  things are normalized.

gee it must be really rough that you had to go through this and though having people w/theft drug problems can occassionally enter our personal lives, it is unfortunate that you had to experience while on riba. i hope that somehow the ill feelings will blow past and your husband won't leave after all.  it is always difficult to merge two families when in a second marriage one other or both. maybe having him come to a dr. appt or support group or invite him to read the posts here at the forum if he hasn't already, you could do a specific search to call up other "riba rage" posting over the years.. it is very real.

i hope your feeling better today and your homelife has returned to normal, may have to work through the hurt feelings of others.  i had to do  a lot of apologizing and splaining to do.after my outbursts "its the meds, really"

forgot who posted above, but it is true, it brings out things that are real within us (often negative that we can press down and control - lets it loose and magnifies it exponentially= temporary intermittant explosive disorder (IED), in california we commonly see it as "road rage".

wyntre - i had all the symptoms except "homocidal ideations" glad i missed that one.
I haven't had the rage since I started the lexapro.
You're on your 12th week; things should start getting better for you soon, hopefully.  I feel for you; it's hard enough dealing with loose-ends when you're normal.  Add that RibaStuff to the situation and things can get nasty.  Avoidance is a good practice while you're txing... avoidance of all potentially damaging situations.  I hope your husband can finally realize that it's not YOU, it's the meds, and that inviting unwanted people into your house should wait until your treatment is over.  

In the meantime, take this time to try exercising your self control; count to ten before opening your mouth... it's been working for me, altho not all the time.  Believe me, I've had my moments, too!  But don't stop treatment!  You've come this far; it would be a shame to throw it all away.

Hang in there!!
I really wish it were that realy that easy.  Maybe things will work out, but it doesn't look good.I tried to call my step son and he wants nothing to do with me because I told his girlfriend the truth.  18 yr old want us to pretend these thing exsist.  I'm a parent not a buddy!  Now my husband has stated to my best friend it's over.  this is nuts. He is mostly playing mind games with me you know how we get on these meds.  The only thing I can think of is to just let things happen and sleep so I don't have to deal with any of it.  Sorry, but I thought I knew my huband and apparently he can't handle my sx with me tx.  I 'll just have to take things in stride and take it as it comes.
Doomed no matter what comes my way.
Please I really don't want a pity party I just need to speak my mind.
that you for listening.
Yes I have a lot to think about.  He want me to stop tx after 12th week , who knows may so he can leave and not feel guilty.  I've read previous post of paranoia.  This old (husbands friend) friend of mine was here and stated we're just all a bunch of guinie pigs.(he's the one that couldn't stop drinking so stop tx after supposedly.)
I highly doubt I'll be stoping tx., But I do think its time for me to go to a head Dr.  I really don't feel I really did anything wrong to cause a divorce, but I've always been one to say it like it is.  What my husband does admit it that he shouldn't have had his mother or Becca(girl friend there.  DUH!  If they weren't.
None of that would have ever taken place.
Thank you for all your comments
In the future no one will talk me into putting me into a situation that isn't going to work.
Missy  
Serotonin-1A receptor gene HTR1A variation predicts interferon-induced depression in chronic hepatitis C.

Kraus MR, Al-Taie O, Schafer A, Pfersdorff M, Lesch KP, Scheurlen M.

Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik II, Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University of Wurzburg, Wurzburg, Germany. kraus_m***@****-wuerzburg.de

BACKGROUND & AIMS: Interferon-induced depression is a major complication in antiviral therapy of chronic hepatitis C. Little is known about underlying mechanisms and reliable predictive factors associated with cytokine-induced depressive symptoms. METHODS: In a cohort of 139 hepatitis C-infected outpatients treated with interferon alfa-2b, we investigated the impact of functional gene variants of the cerebral serotonin (5-HT) signalling pathway previously implicated in depression risk. Depression was monitored using the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale (HADS). All patients were genotyped for functional variations in the 5-HT(1A) receptor (HTR1A), 5-HT transporter (SLC6A4, 5-HTT), and tryptophan hydoxylase-2 (TPH2). RESULTS: Homozygosity for the HTR1A-1019G variant significantly increased both incidence and severity of interferon-induced depression. Maximum increases in HADS depression scores during antiviral therapy correlated with HTR1A variation (P = .011). Clinically relevant depression was significantly associated with the HTR1A-1019G genotype (P = .017; OR, 2.95). 5-HTT and TPH2 variations did not contribute significantly to the prediction of interferon-induced depression by HTR1A (sensitivity, 35.9%; specificity, 84.0%). CONCLUSIONS: Our findings suggest an impact of allelic variation in 5-HT(1A) receptor expression on the development of interferon alfa-induced depression during antiviral treatment of chronic hepatitis C. Prediction models of interferon-induced depressive symptoms based on HTR1A variation offer a perspective for an antidepressant selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor prophylaxis in patients genetically at risk for interferon-induced depression
Hope you are feeling a little better. I have a friend of a friend who just threw her husband out of the house due to his not understanding what she is going thru right now. Its very real and you are not alone. You cant quit now youve come a long way so far. Keep trucking ! you neeed to see this thru.

Please try to feel better.
Thninking of you.
Bonnie

HEY NO QUITTING!!  Yes the rage is very real...I was perimenopausal before txing then after tx believe threw me into menopause early, still that initself can make you raging, then tx on top of it I can be one really mean person, not on purpose, sometimes i can't believe the things that come out of my mouth!!! hang in there, it comes and goes. I could tell you bunch of stories while raging but I want to just let you know your not alone. Be strong :) shelly
I'm so sorry for you right now...geesh. Show the unsympathetic to the ill people the package insert and the sx listed. (homicide, suicide, etc. etc.)
YES, Riba rage is too very real.               Prayers,    

-Mequila
Yes, the rage is very real and it sounds like you have the perfect situation at home to have it ignite. I had incredible riba rage during treatment especially when someone would say something that struck me as stupid. I really tried to lay low and not get into confrontations, but sometimes it's hard to lay low. I started zoloft which takes a few weeks to be of any help, and ativan for immediate need.  I had to, because my boss was saying really stupid stuff all the time and I did not want to fire off at her.
I hope things get better for you soon.
Kathy
You are right.  The rage is real, but not caused by Riba; it is interferon that causes the emotional problems.  There is plenty of literature to back this up.  If you want a real shocker, just read the warnings that come with interferon!

You can find them on the web, if not in the box you open each month!
I tried my best to decipher the excerpt but I'm still not sure I got it.

Is the point that increasing serotonim levels is useful during TX?

Does that mean an AD like prozac which, i thought, was specifically tied to serotonim, is a good choice?

Does TX reduce serotonim levels?

I'll try reading it again but it's a little dense for me or rather, i'm a little (a lot) dense for it.  

Wyntre
thank you for making me feel I'm not crazy, but I will soon be going to the DR. to see if something can be  done to help this out.  I'd say more , but my husb1and is now wacking out.  Fantastic.  Still over the other day.  What ever.
Thanks anyway
Missy
I threw a volcano sized fit on my sister a couple of weeks ago. We NEVER fight!   I've blown up on my sweet helpful husband. Sometimes its like parts of my brain aren't connecting properly.
  I don't call it riba rage. I call it riba rabid.  
Of course you are correct.
Riba does not cause rage, the Interferon does.
I don't know how many times I used to say that during my "writing days".
No clue how and when the word Riba rage found its way to the board, there is no such thing. Anybody reading the pamphlets carefully will have to come to the same conclusion.....it's the INTERFERON.

Ina
I find it hard to stand up for something evil like Ribavirin. But, it's high time to end this years old myth. It is the interferon that gives rise to rage. It is a sympton associated with depression. Interferon screws badly with psycho-neurological function. Ribavirin does not carry the profile that even lists outbursts of rage. Interferon carries the warning of homicide. There's some rage for you.
I know my one paragraph correction will not change anything.

"Interferon rage" just has no ring to it.
Nope, nothing will change, " Them are wasted words", but who knows, some silent readers may walk away with the truth.

Ina

-----------------

It is the interferon that produces the rage. The riba is not nice but it doesn't do the mind tricks interferon does. I am speaking as a 88 week veteran of the lovely Miss Pegasys. I know what I am talking about.

Mr. Liver -- you're on top of your stuff. I only wish I could hang around and we could get rid of the dead weight here -- the useless gossips that sit here for the drama.  But, alas, this place has always been like that.  

We even have a prom queen here. His name is Jim.
Ribavirin gets a bad rap.  It's actually the Interferon, through and through.  I am currently on week 34 of a 48 week course of Interferon.  All of my emotions are just below the surface.  And like someone else said, the ability to process aggravating situations in a calm manner becomes a real challenge.  I've snapped a few times and when I mean snapped, I mean flipped out in an uncontrollable rage.  No physical assaults --  just screaming at the top of my lungs.  Shortly after each incident, I am completely remorseful and have just wished it hadn't happened at all.  I know that this is due to the fact that I haven't had a good night's sleep in at least 34 weeks in addition to the chemical factor.  I have to literally get out of bed during the night at least 7 or 8 times a night because of the physical agitation my body feels.    
I think it's the whole banana...The nastiness that both do to your body...anyone is going to be irritable and teetering on psychosis when they are itching like they're flea-infested, they feel like they have the flu everyday, have a tongue made of leather, they get out of breath and chest pain just going to the bathroom, and they have turned into insomniacs...and then they have a well-meaning relative saying,"Dear, you just have to suck it up. It can't be THAT bad...Yep. I had a sign for my bedroom door..."Dragon lady dwells here. Enter at your own risk for thou art crunchy and tastes good with ketchup!"
:) ~Melinda
Oh, it's real.

I'm so sorry...I've had "incidents" myself.  I will not even attempt to deal with mending until these poisons are out of my body. How can i know if I'll say the right thing? I thought I was saying the right thing before.

You're husband is too quick to walk out the door.  this is not the type of support you need.

Best of luck, hon
Deron,

You resurrected a very old thread and brought back some memories of when I was first here. You have the answer and know yourself it's real. However, I wonder do you take anything for SX? Lexapro or an opioid or something that will help you to rest and feel better. I couldn't have done what I did without 'help' just remember to come off those when you're done so you can return to 'normal'... :-)
I agree with those that say its the Interferon because I predosed riba for 3 months prior to tx and not until after the 3 months when the Interferon was added did I feel like things would annoy me that normally wouldn't. And once the serotonin is out of whack, when people end tx they wonder why they are depressed or not snapping out of it quick and its not a matter of "thinking positive thoughts" - though that can help to some degree,,,,,but if the brain chemistry is off, its not going to be back to normal the week after your last shot - how can it be. Not everyone experiences depression from tx, but that doesn't mean its not real - same as the moodiness and all that other fun stuff.
My first time on the combo I had a fairly violent episode that could have resulted in jail but thankfully didn't.  That was about 6-years ago.  This time, after a month on the interferon/ribo/telepravir study, I have been finding myself extremely upset at my 15-yr-old son for almost everything and have snapped at him much more than usual.  That *****.  I appreciate your posting as it has had me thinking to sit down with him, confirm that I do indeed love him a great deal and that I'm on a medicine that can cause me to feel unreasonable at times.  I don't know if it is the interferon or ribo, I just know that when I'm on the treatment everything is magnified and I have to really watch myself closely.  Ah, I feel so much better that I'm not the only one.
Regarding the family...unacceptable behavior is still unacceptable behavior and needs to be addressed, including your own messes.  Don't be one of those elephant in the living room families where problems exist but everyone plays like they don't.  Address the issues but appropriately, with help when able, and remove yourself from the situation when your reaction to it is likely to create more of a problem than the one the situation started with.  It would be nice to have an understanding and supportive spouse but some of us do not.  Work on that which you have some choice over...yourself.  

Baytown, Texas
I am not on Riba or Interferon but I do know Rage and I have gone off myself  a few times over the past 20 years
I guess your husband and his family just do not understand
Obviously you did or you would not have refused to put yourself in a situation you did not want to be in
They also have to take some blame for forcing you into the situation in the first place
I am sure they know you are emotionally unstable and getting a bad relationship that has failed because of many negative issues in your state of mind was well Not a good idea to be in a confrontive situation
Guess they will not try that again too soon
best advice is to sit down and write a letter and include the info on the pamphlet and a  website if they are intersted why you reacted the way you did
You are ill and undergoing a seriously hard treatment with many phases
Prozac is good  Lexapro is good
best of luck mending it with your Husband
you're not mad it's the meds! Riba rage is real-good luck-hang on in there!
I am not experiencing Riba rage yet and do not understand what its about.  I can tell you this if my son's girlfriend came into our home and stole and disrespected our house by doing drugs-- it would get ugly.  Tx medicine would have nothing to do with it either.

Shame on your husband for not sticking with you on this stealing issue.
hi,
i'm new to the community, however not new to hep c.  was on tx for 6 wks  NR.  I deal w/ a tremendous amt of pain and flu like symp.  I take approx. 60 mg hydrocodone daily.  Is this common?  My doc is giving me guilt and denying refills.  So I'm on this roller coaster of relief then withdrawls which are horrible in combo w/my normal hep c symtoms (symptoms). What should I expect my doc to allow as drugs.  I have one liver comp. besides "c" I have hemochromotosis (mostly high iron).  Hi iron can cause liver damage as much as hep c.  Plus the virus likes a iron rich environment.
hepcmandan
hi,
hepcmandan
I would definitely have to say that riba-rage is real - i have come to the conclusion that I should no longer leave my house cuz I might actually hurt someone - getting severe road rage - someone cuts me off and I will follow them just so I can yell at them!!!  Went grocery shopping the other day and was very proud of myself - I only told three people off at the store!!!  Think I better win the lottery just so I can pay for my kids' thereapy - lol!!!  After all the yelling comes the guilt cuz I don't mean to yell at my kids the way I have been doing.  Had bad mood swings before treatment - especially when pmsing - but now they are amplified 10,000 times.  A deadly combonation is riba-rage combined with pms - holy you don't wanna be around me then.
I don't know if riba-rage is real. This is what I've found. When something annoys you it's usually pretty easy to forget about it or just ignore it. When you're on treatment you have enough bad things happening to you already that you really don't need to deal with other people's bullsh--. It's already been said, riba-rage may be a good thing. Don't let stuff eat you up. You already have enough to deal with. Just be sure that the people you need to deal with are aware of what you're going through. If they don't understand and if they're unsympathetic, too bad for them if they set you off.