Hepatitis Social Community
Itchy Eyes and Eye Balls Hurt / Riabavirin & Mania/anger!

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

I will be having my 6th Interferion shot is this Friday. I take Ribavirin (200mg tabs - 3 in am ans 2 at 6pm) The Ribavirin is making me very moody, irritable kinda manic!

My eyes itch, and even when i do not itch them they hurt when I move them. I saw eye doc (at Gi Doc recommendation) will be picking up  glasses today. SHOULD I GO BACK TO EYE DOC? HAS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCED ANY OF THE ABOVE RIBAVIRIN SYPTOMS (symptoms)? THE EYE PROBLEMS?

PLEASE HELP WITH SOME INPUT...GOD BLESS!!!
Tags: irritable
The treatment drugs do make us very irritable and angry; that is common for people on treatment.

Interferon can cause retinal problems; it did for me.  If you think something is wrong get a thorough eye exam.  I had no permanent damage, but it is worrisome to think you might have a problem with your eyes, so put your mind at ease and get a good checkup.
treatment can raise your blood pressure and give you eye problems.
treatment does gives quite a few people blurry vision. mine got blurry close up
so i got cheap reading glasses.  you vision will change throughout treatment.
My liver doc warned that mucous membranes, including eyes (and other delicate parts) could get "dry" when the skin starts drying out while on tx...He recommended Systane eye drops for rewetting and drinking lots of water...He also emphasized that, if I had any eye pain, vision blurring or darkening, to see an eye doc immediately...Tx can cause bleeding into the back of your eye, resulting in retinal separation and blindness...I'm sure there's more to it, but this is what I remember..The eye drops really work! Good luck...Hope you feel better soon...
My eyes were swollen at the bottom, almost bulging and hurt, my lids were cracked and dry at the ends, itching all the time ( I ended up itching my eyelashes away) and my vision was blurred also.
I DID go back to my doctor and have an eye exam,as I had heard about problems that could ensue, but my eyes were clear.
Now TX is over, and the bizarre thing is my vision is better ( Has ANYONE had this side effect)
See your doctor if you have any concerns, as the worrying can make you discomfortable. From what I have heard from my Doctor, a lot of people have the symptoms I had and you seem to have, if that helps at all, good luck!
I have the blurry vision also. I just finished treatment and hope it goes away. I don't have an appointment with the eye doctor until march 27th. I also have experienced a lot of floaters also. They probably won't go away. Who knows.

Bobby
I too had eye issues, blurry vision , chronic dry eyes, painful eyeballs.  It is a good idea to see an opthamologist,just to have your retinas checked out.  I used SYSTANE also during tx. and continue to use it post tx. All eye symptoms have left post tx but the dreaded dry eye syndrome.  
During my 48 week trx i  experieced eye irritation.i used generic eye wash with abandon-the type recommended for contact lenses.i believe it is a very inert product;nothing more than distilled water? i also had a thorough eye exam pre-trx,which is standard protocol.Post-trx i need reading gasses more often and still suffer with abit of left eye irritation-seems like a small price to pay for SVR..
For me, anger,paranoia and  dialogues with the guy who does not suffer fool's glady made me very unhappy.Indulge yourself with humor,music,sex,bongs,AD's-whatever it takes to save relationships and stifle the inner-arsehole.....GOODLUCK with that!
Yes, been experiencing it.  Seems it only gets worse (I FINALLY took my last shot ten min ago).... and my eyeball problems didn't start as early as yours... sorry but need to be honest and know you don't want to hear this - since it startingg so early in you, better talk to doc cause mine didn't start until after I was shooting and popping past four months..Libby
Ditto on the general theme that everyone has a 'set' of issues and it's powerful meds that we are taking; it's known as a 'extremely debilitating treatment' having some common side affects but everyone seems to have a slightly different 'set'. The docs are a must.  I've found if I just surrender to it that it's no longer dominating ALL my life ALL the time and I can keep going and make it to the end.

Libby, congratulations on getting to last shot. You did it!!! You could have quit when it got tough and you didn't. Eric was last week too; the end does finally come. I'm at 7 more now so I'm feeling I can see the end coming...
Thank you from Rye518 (Ryan)