Hepatitis Social Community
Kept peglated interferone in the freezer!

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

I accidentally kept my peglated interferone 90 mcg in the freezer for almost 11 hours. It was kept in an insulin bag with ice packs. I kept the whole darn thing in the freezer! :( I'd like to know if i'd be able to use them for my shots.i took it out and kept it in the fridge..but i dont know if I can use it anymore?
Help?
Tags: Hepatitus C, peglated interferone, freezer, help, urgent, shots
The following is from the Pegasys website:
"Do not freeze your medication. Unfortunately if PEGASYS is accidentally frozen, it will lose its effectiveness and must also be discarded."

You should contact the manufacturer (Roche or Schering?), your specialty pharmacy, or your doctor immediately and discuss this with them.  Hopefully you will have time to ship another box if needed.  
If it froze it will turn cloudy, I'm told & is not fit for use. It must be replace....
If it's clear, means it didn't freeze & is still good.
But if you took it out & it's obviously like a ice cube.....huck it out...I wouldn't take the chance.
I read the same thing Flcyclist  wrote. But it was on the information sheet that comes with the interferon. It loses it's effectiveness if it's frozen.

If I were you, I wouldn't take a chance. I would get a new dose.

rk
I did the same thing during treatment, or should I say my 20-year-old daughter thought she was doing the right thing when the package arrived! They said not to use them.  If you call the company, they will relace for free, atleast they did for me (the manufacturer).  
Dee1956 commented on Jade59's status
Dee1956 commented on meegWpaw's status
Dee1956 commented on meegWpaw's status
Track your weight over time