Hepatitis Social Community
LFT question

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

LFT question

Hi everyone, I don't have hepatitis but I thought you guys might be able to help me.  I recently found out I have elevated LFT's, I know there are several different tests which comprise that, but the nurse on the phone said the level was 60. I dont know if she was talking about a specific test or an average?  Anyway, they want me to go in to get more tests.  I am not too concerned because I have had what showed up on a cat scan 15 years ago as a fatty liver.  I also had another CT last year which confirmed the fatty liver, but it was no worse.  I have read that can cause elevated LFT's.  Though the doctors knew I had fatty liver they never ordered any lft's so this is my first.  I have been imunized against hep b and dont have any risk factors for anything and dont drink.  Do you guys think it is probably from the fatty liver?  Thanks!  Shannon
Shannon,

Thanks for stopping by, even without the Hep C virus :)

I don't know if your raised LFTs are from fatty liver or not, but fatty liver in and of itself deserves attention, and hopefully you've been addressing it since your scan 15 years ago. Fatty liver has consequences, but is potentially reversible. Here's a pretty decent overview for NAFLD (Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease).  Ifhttp://www.mayoclinic.com/health/nonalcoholic-fatty-liver-disease/DS00577
Of course, if you're a heavy drinker, your fatty liver may be caused by alcohol, and if so, that's something you should consider addressing.

-- Jim
Elevated LFTs can be caused by many things and only a doctor that takes more tests can determine the exact cause.  It could be any number of viruses, fatty liver, auto immune hepatitis...  It is not something you should just ignore.