Hepatitis Social Community
Love life

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

Love life

I went thru 48 pegasus for hvc type 1a.  I am 51.  viral count before tx was 8 million.  I was svr 6 months after tx..  I know lucky to be a responder..  I have met a girl I am crazy about, but im not sure what to tell her about this.  I know many people who think if you get near them they are going to catch it.  I dont know what to tell her.. can anyone help?
Hep. C is a blood borne illness. Your blood has to come in contact with her blood. After 20 years of sex a couple only has 5% of giving the hep. C to the partner, if no protection is used. I assume you don't want any kids so use protection.
Don't share tooth brushes, nail files or clippers or anything that might have your blood on it.
And on another note - if you don't have it, you don't have it.

I don't know how many months SVR you are now (you said six months later you were UND...did you have a year test? Are your tests up to date?).

I'd tell the truth and explain it and encourage her to do her own research or speak to your doctor.

Starting out a relationship with a lie looming over your head well...can't be good.

That doesn't mean you have to tell someone on the first date but...if you intend to carry the relationship further - it'd be best to be honest from the start.

One thing though is are you SVR or UND?  How far after your treatment are you?

Because if you are SVR then you don't have it so you can't give it to her so it's a total non-issue anyway then you can say "I used to have" and it's no problem!
I was am really worried about it,  I was married beore, the whole time 15yrs I had hvc and didnt know it.. My wife at the time did not test positive, after I found I had it...  viral count was so low 9 weeks after I started tx it couldnt be counted... 6 months after i finished 48 weeks of tx i was svr.  I would rather not tell her, but want to do the right thing.  we havent had sex yet. and I dont relish the thought of a condom.  I dont want her to run like i have cooties
I am SVR for sure.....I had less than measureable viral count 6 months after I stopped treatment
nygirl.. what is UND?  that one is unfamiliar
nygirl7 That und question was for you
'Und' means virus undetectable 6 motnths after the conclusion of treatment.  By what you say, you are undetecable and svr.  Many people, me included, would used the word 'cured'.
So that what that means,  what do you think about my senario?
In all things, I generally go in the direction of full disclosure and honesty.  Moreso in interpersonal relationship of the most intimate kind. For a moment, take HCV out as a phrase, and imagine if it was another disease of which you were cured.
IMO I think you have to tell her. That will give you perfect opportunity to ask her to go get tested, just incase she has hep C and isn't aware. Why go thru that long tx only to possibly re-infected by someone who may not even be aware she is carrying the virus. Big deal, they say that with sex the chance of contracting it is 3% or something like that......  3%  should be viewed as too high of a risk to anyone who has gone thru tx, or maybe I'm the only one that feels that way.
I have to agree to tell her. First off you dont have HCV anymore so problem solved but you should both fully disclose any medical history especially if no protection. Its the right thing to do.

When I met my husband we were very young and he told me right upfront he got Hepatitis from a tatoo two years prior. At the time we didnt think much of it because doctors told him it went away, we found out in 2003 it didnt,  it was HCV. Anyway even though it was something that just came up, not really him disclosing something, I always appreciated his honesty. Now we both have it and it is what is, but I will never blame him.  

Be up front and you will never have guilt!!
Yes I think you are all right...I decided I would tell her... It was just the fact of being svr and und (is it necessary)?  
Be right up front, best course of action. Allow her to make the decision as to how the relationship will proceed. Hey, if your going to loose her it mite as well be in the beginning but I think she will be more receptive and like you a lot more for being up front.

jasper
Bliss, Dr. Dietrich is one of the leading Hepatologists and he uses the word "cure." Maybe if you take a look at the video I posted, you can have her take a look or maybe just quote Dietrich and use the word 'cure.

The relationship might be too new to feel that you are in love, but if in love, should anything matter, such as a disease? I would hope not, but to someone that is just dating and not 'in love,' yes it may matter. It's a risk telling her, but it is the best thing to do. I would say spend alot of time with her and  try to get to know one another so she can get to the point that she is used to having you a part of her life. Absence doesn't make the heart grow fonder for everyone.

http://www.liverfoundation.org/education/webcasts/

The video skips a little but it straightens out eventually.
I havent seen the video.. but you know how people are.  I was in the usmc from 73 to 78 two transfusions there.. 22 years on the police dept in Houston Tx 1 transfusion there, one bad bit by a mental case,  and 6 years as a search and recovery diver.  needles stuck out of me on several occasions... never a iv drug user... her brother has it from drug use.  I dont want to lose her
Thanks for the words of encouragement.  I used this forum before during and after tx.  This dragon scares the **** out of anyone with good sense
Honesty is your best policy.

You are responsible for your disease ending with you.

You are responsible for people understanding more about this disease - the causes, the implications and teaching people to understand about it.

I can't even get my husband knowledgeable about the disease - but at least he listens to me when I say "take me to the hospital - or I don't feel well enough to get up out of bed".

He also has never ONCE stopped having intimate relationships with me - although we do take care now around menstrual cycles.

I will say that I find it remarkable that you have any libido. LMAO!

That's a good one for you. Keep it up (figuratively and literally).

As for using condoms. Again - you are responsible for your disease ending with you.

Don't pass it on - it's not something the world needs to keep sharing.

Meki
You made a comment earlier that I would like to respond to....don't want to be the voice of cold water here....  :)

You said you didn't realish the idea of a condom.  Being a female maybe I can't fully relate, but there are other things to worry about besides HCV during intercourse.  Anyway, I don't want to be judgemental or anything - just wanted to remind you about the other yucky stuff out there.  

Besides, being willing to wear a condom shows the lady in question you care about her health.

As for telling her, I would want to know.  If she's going to run now, wouldn't it be better to find out first?  And if she's truly the understanding caring woman you believe her to be then it won't matter.

If you had cancer and were in remission would you tell her about that?

Good luck to you and I hope it works out for you.
You know while I was on tx I didnt have much libido,  befor tx ,My wife and I were at  it every night,  It took a while but now Im back to normal.. we never used protection even during her time of the month..she was checked and after I was dx and she was clr of the virus.. we never used protection...I have great difficulty based on my experience that it can be passed that way. I was so sick during tx I used all my sick time and vacation time,  I worked the first 4 or 5 months.  by the 6th month I was very sick loosing hair, infections on my head,  bones and joints killing me,  I told her if it was going to be like this I might have to retire. (I had enough time in already 22yrs) I considered us luckier than most financialy.  She told me If I was going to retire I had to do it somewhere else...I was in severe chemical depression already..you know the drill pegasus, nupagen.....I thought about what she said throuhout the rest of the tx.   I also thought it strange that she had never gone to the Dr with me..Never...  I could never get this out of my mind.. we had been married 10 years with each other 15... After that I ended tx last june06.. Got my viral count 6month later and was found to have SVR Und.... she said she was sorry but in the back of my mind I knew I didnt feel the same ... Just lost something..Just another sad story that revolves around this virus I guess..It brings out the Truth..