Hepatitis Social Community
Low mean platelet volume and platelet count questions

This forum is for hepatitis patients, family members, loved ones, friends or anyone with an interest in hepatitis, to have open social conversations about any topic they choose, with the exception of religion and politics. Please note that our standard “Rules for Posting in Public Areas”, which are found in our Terms of Use , also apply in this community. If you are newly diagnosed with Hepatitis or you have questions or information to share about current treatments, research studies, clinical trials, or other medical issues pertaining to Hepatitis, please post it in one of our Hepatitis Communities ( Hep A , Hep B , Hep C or Hep-autoimmune ).

I was wondering what I should make of a couple of mild changes in my platelet counts.

My Platelet counts have historically ranged between 240 and 282. They were in 240 range last time checked. My question is how significant is a 40 point difference in platelet counts when they are still within range. Would that be cause for concern?

Recently, my Mean Platelet Volume has been consistently low. Historically, it has been between 7.2 and 8.1, but they are now in the high 6 range, with the last test at 6.9 with the low end on that assay at 7.2. I don't have a clear understanding of what MPV means in the scheme of Liver Disease. Does anybody know?

Thanks for any insight you may have.    
Your platelets of 200 something look fine to me.  Dropping 40 thousand might be significant (might not be, though).  It might be the same value 3 months from now, could go up, could go down.  

I don't know what the MVP means.  If I were you, I  don't think I'd worry too much about what it means (in the grand scheme of things.) Sure, it's good to know what your lab values are, but when you start trying to figure out what the MVP and the CPK and MCV and the RMV and the RAC and the PT and the PTT and the INR and the .... :)  (the list goes on), you'll run yourself nuts! :) And then, by the time you think you have it all figured out after you've run yourself nuts, your labs will all change again.

I think your platelets look good.  :)
See:http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Mean+platelet+volume
"Mean Platelet Volume (MPV) is a measurement of the average size of platelets found in blood and is typically included in blood tests. Since the average platelet size is larger when the body is producing increased numbers of platelets, MPV test results can be used to make inferences about platelet production in bone marrow."
Mike
fretboard uploaded new photos
MH Community Mgr commented on Bubulous's status
May 03
Dee1956 commented on VICourageous's status
May 02
Track your weight over time